ZebraLight H502 XM-L

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I envisioned myself jumping on this when it was available.

Unfortunately, after getting the H600Fw, my spare change jar is still refilling.

In the mean time, I'll eagerly await reviews. :)

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look at the positioning of the LED compared to the battery size it appears that the positive contact for the AA will be higher up than usual and in fact somewhere behind the LED itself rather than behind and below or just below as is normal. That seems like a clever maximisation of available space by zebralight to keep the length of the light down but also suggests that a CR123 version may need to be wider again if you want it shorter too.

Some sort of spacer to fit on top of a CR123 to allow contact (along with a wider bored tube itself of course) could possibly allow a H80(2)? type version though.

Photonrunner

Newly Enlightened
Not a fan of a 120 Degree beam, the 501 80 Degree beam was perfect.
Probably not going to appear any brighter than the 501 on max :(
Will just have a larger beam diameter though.

The super low modes are nice as well as the battery indicator, but was really hoping for something brighter than the 501.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a fan of a 120 Degree beam, the 501 80 Degree beam was perfect.
Probably not going to appear any brighter than the 501 on max :(
Will just have a larger beam diameter though.

The super low modes are nice as well as the battery indicator, but was really hoping for something brighter than the 501.

yeah I agree- Ive got 2 bare hiCRI XPGs in my bike light and the 120deg flood wastes a bit.
its wider than necessary IMHO. an optic woulda been pretty cool + unique.

not trying to hate on this light - who knows I may end up buying one if a hiCRI xml is released.

Last edited:

romteb

Enlightened
My thoughts too...it never felt to me like 80° was too narrow, the H501 was pretty much perfect except i sometimes wished it was a bit brighter, hence the anticipation for the H502, and the disapointment with the 120° (probably no optic) beam.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be ordering one JUST for the idea it has a super long runtime on low. I didn't expect it so a wonderful surprise there is 3 choices for L2 (.34 lumen / .06 lumen / .01 lumen) 3 month of continuous use for .01 lumen. THIS is what I'm talking about! At least Zebralight gets it, and they get my money.

marcis

Newly Enlightened
I'll be ordering one JUST for the idea it has a super long runtime on low. I didn't expect it so a wonderful surprise there is 3 choices for L2 (.34 lumen / .06 lumen / .01 lumen) 3 month of continuous use for .01 lumen. THIS is what I'm talking about! At least Zebralight gets it, and they get my money.

I agree with you, I too am stoked with the Low runtime settings. 3 months for camping, hiking, or anything else is going to be absolutely amazing. A pro hiker could damn near do the entire Appalachian Trail with one AA battery if all they used was the 0.01 setting :) Pretty amazing. 2 hours for 160 lumens, that is also wonderful, my spark SD-52 does 2 hours for 200 lumens with 2 AA batteries.. 160 is hardly any less. I honesty don't care if the beam is not my favorite the runtimes this light offers is plenty good enough a reason for me to pick this light up. I will surely be selling my Spark SD-52.

P.S. I own the H51F, and the Spark SD-52, and I still pick my zebralight over the spark nearly every time. Don't get me wrong the spark is a great headlamp, but for hiking, camping, fishing, plenty of other things, the zebralight is always better.

maitre

Newly Enlightened
This is the light I've been waiting for... but in the meantime, I've already nabbed the H600w and SC600 so I'll be waiting for the h502w for sure. I'm not crazy about the design but I know I'll end up buying it anyway haha will give it a few months work out any initial issues..

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light looks like a homerun! My H501w is among my all time favorite lights, and looks like the H502 is quite an improvement. No complaints from me on the specs. ZL is offering all of the things that make their lights top of the list in my mind -- using the new improved switch, has a pocket clip, new programmable M2 and L2, new battery indicator, 2 oz with a battery, 260 lm on a single eneloop, & 3 months runtime at .01 lm.........genius! With the output & runtimes alone, this light is possibly years ahead of the competition.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My thoughts too...it never felt to me like 80° was too narrow, the H501 was pretty much perfect except i sometimes wished it was a bit brighter, hence the anticipation for the H502, and the disapointment with the 120° (probably no optic) beam.

I, too, think the 80 degree beam of the H501 is very useful. The comments about the 120 degree beam being too broad have me worried a little. I don't think this is a case of Zebralight fixing something that wasn't broken. I don't think they are able to make an 80 degree beam out of this light. I thought I was going to be the first to buy, but I will now wait to read reviews before committing.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
after losing my most used light (h501w) i've been eager to see a replacement. perfect time to lose it hey.
i too will wait on a review. i was hoping for some sort of optic to concentrate the beam in an even flood. this might be a bare emitter which makes it appear lower in output.
sort of the problem spark had with their bare emitter flood(SD series) but they have a reflector option now. this one will be bare permanently.
i can wait plus a warm version would be nicer.

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
looking at the modes, the way to access medium seems a bit confusing... does it mean double click from off gives you medium, triple click gives you low again?

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
looking at the modes, the way to access medium seems a bit confusing... does it mean double click from off gives you medium, triple click gives you low again?

That's how the rest of them work. Single click = high, Double click = medium, and Slow click = low. A Triple click also = low. You could also hold the button down, and it will cycle through low, medium, & high until you let go on the one you want.

Regarding the medium: I prefer holding the button down, so the light cycles from low then to medium. If you double click from off to get to medium then you are hit with a bright pre-flash (the light goes from high for a fraction of a second then to medium.) Just the nature of the UI, but is easy to work around. Still the ZL UI is in my opinion the best around.

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually this light has made me appreciate the smaller H501w - maybe some people will be selling theirs
when these come out and I can find a nice deal on one....

shoot me a PM anyone who has an extra H501W they wanna get rid of ;)

rcyo88

Newly Enlightened
Here's a pic from zebralight website of the H502 for a quick reference. Must buy...

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once said I would not do pre-orders again, but I caved and hope to have one of these when they are released. I would prefer a w-version, but do not mind getting the cool white to check out. I may pass it off to a close friend for emergencies once the other variations are released.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I liked the 80 degree flood of my H501 and H501w over the 120 (?) flood of my H50 as it makes things look flat. Kinda hard to explain not that I don't like the good old H50. I will hold off for reviews and to see if there are any bugs or V2 models in a few weeks etc but given the low modes and crazy high on one AA in the end I will be buying one.

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
That's how the rest of them work. Single click = high, Double click = medium, and Slow click = low. A Triple click also = low. You could also hold the button down, and it will cycle through low, medium, & high until you let go on the one you want.

Regarding the medium: I prefer holding the button down, so the light cycles from low then to medium. If you double click from off to get to medium then you are hit with a bright pre-flash (the light goes from high for a fraction of a second then to medium.) Just the nature of the UI, but is easy to work around. Still the ZL UI is in my opinion the best around.

The page is worded a little weirdly though, because it says holding it down goes from low to high, and I wasn't sure if it ONLY cycled low and high. I interpreted that to mean the only way to access medium was the double click...

otherwise if its the normal UI, then that's absolutely great!