ZebraLight H502 XM-L

moozooh

Enlightened
I guess they decided to put it "outta this misery" as suggested above, as the lack of supply seems to be severe enough to warrant that. The main site doesn't reflect that though—while the Gdocs table says stuff like SC600w is out of stock as well, it's still in-stock on the site. Might be that the "out of stock" notice in the table refers to (temporary) cessation of production, not actually depleting the entire stock. Or maybe it refers specifically to the needed LEDs being out of stock. Either way it'd be nice if one of ZebraLight representatives cleared this up.

With regards to H502w, thankfully we still have the excellent H502d in its stead. Aside from the drop on H1, its brightness is comparable with what was expected to be 4200 K XM-L's performance, and superior color rendition is worth going for it. I wish Cree made LEDs identical to this Rebel in terms of tint and color rendition, but with XLamp's amazing power efficiency.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
With regards to H502w, thankfully we still have the excellent H502d in its stead.

The 'd'? I'd say the 'c'. The tint is almost indistinguishable between the H501w and the H502c, see photos I posted comparing the two in this thread. I suspect the difference in lumens between the H502c and the vaporware H502w would likely have been close to unnoticeable in use.

Yes, my next purchase would have been an H502w, but no tears here, the H502c is close enough.

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... And the hiCRI XMLs are just coming out now...i thought maybe that was what they were waiting for?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... And the hiCRI XMLs are just coming out now...i thought maybe that was what they were waiting for?

I'd hope so. Maybe the reported tint shifts at lower levels of the warm XML are not quite up to their standards?

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the response I got from Zebralight.....

User/DateMessage
Customer
8/23/2012 1:29:44 PM
I noticed that the H502w has been removed from your list of future lights. Are you still planning on making this light? If so, when do you think it will be available? If not, why?
Thank You,
Mark
spacer.gif
Staff (Administrator)
8/23/2012 3:27:09 PM
We still plan to release the H502w when the netural white XM-L we want is available. Other similar models such as SC600w, H600w/H600Fw will be out of stock (or back order) soon.

nisshin

Enlightened
I don't see any response there, only your inquiry.
On my computer, the response I see is:
Staff (Administrator) 8/23/2012 3:27:09 PM: We still plan to release the H502w when the netural white XM-L we want is available. Other similar models such as SC600w, H600w/H600Fw will be out of stock (or back order) soon.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the answers I've gotten from them when I've emailed them to inquire about the availability of new neutral models, and my experiences with different Zebra models with neutral tint emitters, they are very picky about their tints. I was even told once in an email from them that the reason they were holding back on the release of a new model was because they were still trying to secure a supply of emitters with the tint they wanted, and to vet the tint before they started manufacturing. Frankly, I'm willing to wait for them to do that, because after some of my experiences with other companies (cough... 4... cough... Sevens... cough...) I'm sick of playing the tint lottery and prefer to know that the light I'm ordering is most likely going to have a tint that I am happy with.

mobi

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone seen both the standard and the D version together? How much drop in brightness do you see in the real world? Considering getting the D version rather than wait for the W version, just wondering how much real world difference the brightness drop would make from the standard which would appear, from the figures, to be a third brighter, though I'm sure our eyes wouldn't see it as that much.

Any ideas on how bright the warm version would be?

An imprecise answer: The standard seems brighter on any given setting, but the light from the D is "richer" which tends to "equalize" the scene. In other words, in a situation where I use the standard on say M1, I also tend to set the D on M1. In practice, the standard is my outdoors light (supplemented by the H51w), and the D the house light.

The light from the D is kind of like mid morning/late afternoon sunlight.

Just some impressions.

moses

Enlightened
I tested the 502 and 502d recently side by side. per my light meter using direct and reflected ceiling bounce, the d is HALF the lumens of the 502. However, the quality of light is obviously better - so much that I deemed the 502d worth keeping over the 502.

Mo

Has anyone seen both the standard and the D version together? How much drop in brightness do you see in the real world? Considering getting the D version rather than wait for the W version, just wondering how much real world difference the brightness drop would make from the standard which would appear, from the figures, to be a third brighter, though I'm sure our eyes wouldn't see it as that much.

Any ideas on how bright the warm version would be?

moozooh

Enlightened
I've just come back from a forest/mountain trek through the southern part of the Crimea where I've been using H502d as my main light. There were two of us, my girlfriend and myself; most of the walking was done during sunlight and twilight. After the sunset the 502 was mainly used as a camping light/bedlight.

The overall impression was that I never felt like I needed more light from my headlamp. The brightness—much thanks to superior tint and color rendition—exceeded my expectations by a lot. In fact, I never even once had to use the H modes, and the flood was broad enough that my girlfriend (who had no headlamp of her own; she dislikes those) felt the ground was lit enough for her when she walked beside me.

More in-depth view on the modes I used during the trek.

• 40 lm: not the most used but perhaps the most useful mode. It lit up the ground to some 5–7 meters ahead and 1–2 to the sides. Was equally useful in twilight and complete dark. Setting up a camp was very easy with it no matter the surroundings, and no items were ever lost. Was used about 1 to 2 hours per day.
  • 2 lm: to my surprise, the most used mode. Surprisingly bright despite the flood angle! It was mainly used as a reading lamp and a tent lamp in the evenings. Our tent had a mesh ceiling rack that I put the 502 down on, facing down, which made it light up the interior space completely and evenly (and made the tent glow eerily as seen from the outside as a funny side-effect). Think 1.5–3 hours a day.
  • 0.06 lm: the mode the light was left on in the tent when we were going to bed—basically, the mode I switched down to from the 2 lm mode instead of turning the light off. While it undoubtedly wound up with more hours of output than all other modes combined (some 6–8 hours per day), we were asleep during pretty much all of them, so it doesn't really count as "used". :p
  • 10 lm: the mode I mainly used for cooking and eating our evening meals. 40 lm seemed like overkill while 2 lm felt not enough. Again this was bright and broad enough that my girlfriend was able to use the sidespill to light up her meal while I was eating mine.
  • 170 lm: was used a couple times just to see how ludicrously bright it was. In fact it's so bright it throws: I was able to noticeably light up objects some ~30 meters away. I never even needed that much in the first place, not from a headlamp anyway. But still this is a nice thing to have for some kind of emergency situation or somesuch. It's much brighter than what would be needed for a nighttime trail run assuming the trail is any familiar to the runner; the 110 lm mode would be way more than enough for that purpose in my opinion—I doubt one would need to run for more than two hours straight off an eneloop anyway.

All other modes were never used. When I needed to light up faraway objects I used my SC600. My girlfriend used a Thrunite Ti when she didn't need to use both hands; in all other situations I would use the 502 to light up whatever she needed. All in all the light was actively (and productively) used at least three hours a day on four modes out of the eleven, and it was used at all times it was needed. The GitD feature also was helpful on more than one occasion, although admittedly it could have been replaced by the 0.06 lm mode quite as well without any adverse effects to speak of.

A note on runtimes and battery drain. As expected, the light stepped down on modes as the AA cell was nearing depletion. Luckily enough this coincided with my usage scenario as I was setting up a camp and was ready to start cooking our evening meal as it stepped down from 40 to 10 lm, and stepped down further to 2 lm as we were about to go inside the tent, so I was able to use the cell up pretty much completely. Did I say "the cell"? Oh, right. I used up only one, and it was an Energizer alkaline that was only 60–75% full as we were starting the trek—it was the same cell I used back when I was toying with the light after it arrived. I changed it on the sixth day of our trip out of nine. Before we left for the Crimea I expected to use up four Energizer L91s on this trek and had to return with three of them completely full and one about 3/4 full at worst; I wasn't particularly adamant on using the lowest modes feasible for my needs either. All in all one L91, or even one eneloop XX, would have been plenty enough for the entire trip. I wish I knew! If this isn't the testament to this light's efficiency I don't know what is. Bravo, ZebraLight! At this point I'm convinced you're doing yourself a disservice by making lights so good I don't even feel the need to eventually replace them. :laughing:

To avoid sounding like an advertising pamphlet I'll list some things I wasn't quite pleased with too.

• Exceptionally wide angle basically means nobody can look at your face without being dazzled to an extent. This, depending on the distance and ambient light, applies to every mode upwards of one lumen. Not unexpected but still an important downside to consider if you're, say, spelunking or mountain climbing in a group, when such glares could become not only annoying but also dangerous.
  • The mode switch timing took a while to get used to. Part of the times I accidentally turned the light on high when I wanted it on low. A well-known problem, though. My girlfriend, not being particularly logical or tech-savvy, also couldn't get used to the interface for some time; it just appeared random to her at first.

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited:

moses

Enlightened
Fabulous review.

502d is now my most used EDC. Even with the lack of a strobe that I use regularly on mountain road walks to alert drivers whizzing by (incredibly effective in getting cars to slow down), and lower lumens than advertised, it has been the best lighting too I've had. the 85CRI really does make a difference is much more relaxing to the eyes.

Great review! Thanks.

Mo

I've just come back from a forest/mountain trek through the southern part of the Crimea where I've been using H502d as my main light. There were two of us, my girlfriend and myself; most of the walking was done during sunlight and twilight. After the sunset the 502 was mainly used as a camping light/bedlight.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Even with the lack of a strobe that I use regularly on mountain road walks to alert drivers whizzing by....

There's a hidden strobe mode, you just have to programme it on the sub-level of the high mode.

mobi

Newly Enlightened
Exceptionally wide angle basically means nobody can look at your face without being dazzled to an extent. This, depending on the distance and ambient light, applies to every mode upwards of one lumen. Not unexpected but still an important downside to consider if you're, say, spelunking or mountain climbing in a group, when such glares could become not only annoying but also dangerous.

Nice review!

I've been experimenting with attaching filters to the lens. A dark filter, or just a piece of paper, with a hole in the center would reduce the angle of the flood.

skycamnz

Newly Enlightened
... My girlfriend, not being particularly logical or tech-savvy, also couldn't get used to the interface for some time; it just appeared random to her at first.

Great review moozooh! I can understand your girlfriend not getting the hang of the UI for a while. There is one aspect of the UI I didn't get the hang of myself until just recently. I've owned my 502 for close to 2 months now.

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
Great review moozooh! I can understand your girlfriend not getting the hang of the UI for a while. There is one aspect of the UI I didn't get the hang of myself until just recently. I've owned my 502 for close to 2 months now.

I'm on the other end of that, picked it up and the UI was super easy. Love the light so far, the 120º wide and even beam is superb! I wanted it for a backup light and a small support photo light, but it leave really sharp shadow lines... maybe I need a second one...