ZebraLight H502 XM-L

icedmocha

Newly Enlightened
I'm having a bit of trouble. How do I turn this light off? If I give the button a quick tap it blinks intermittently. If I long press it only changes brightness. Thanks.

bbb74

Enlightened
I'm having a bit of trouble. How do I turn this light off? If I give the button a quick tap it blinks intermittently. If I long press it only changes brightness. Thanks.

How intermittently? If it detects the battery is flat it will blink every x seconds, I think its 80 but don't quote me on that.

Eisier

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

For those of you who use a h502(c) while camping: which output setting do you usually use when doing typical camp tasks, like pitching tent, sitting around camp, cooking in front of the tent, etc.? I'm considering the h502c to replace a decade-old petzl with cracked housing and that famous hotspot, and based on the output setting I could find out how long runtime can I expect.

Thanks.

icedmocha

Newly Enlightened
How intermittently? If it detects the battery is flat it will blink every x seconds, I think its 80 but don't quote me on that.
Every 15 seconds. They are fresh eneloops. I have even removed the battery and placed it back in and it keeps blinking. If it's not normal I will contact ZL.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every 15 seconds. They are fresh eneloops. I have even removed the battery and placed it back in and it keeps blinking. If it's not normal I will contact ZL.

So you've tried multiple different cells and you get the same odd behavior?

jkid1911

Enlightened

If you click it one time very deliberatly and positively it should turn off. A tap will usually change to a different level. It may be you're not being deliberate enought but I can only speculate. Hope this helps.....

mr_magicfingers

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know how to rig the headband on one of these to not leave the two vertical lines in your forehead :) Is there an alternative headband?

Swede74

Enlightened
Anyone know how to rig the headband on one of these to not leave the two vertical lines in your forehead :) Is there an alternative headband?

I think it has been described earlier in this or another H502 thread. I took me a while to figure out how it's done, and I took some pictures when I did it. If I can find them, I'll post them when I'm back on my computer.
I found them, but they weren't as good as I remembered them, so I took a couple of new ones. I think this is a case of a picture says more than a thousand words, but unfortunately my new pictures didn't turn out as informative as I would have liked. I hope they help a little though. I put paperclips (and red arrows) where you have to pry the band out of the plastic...whatever it may be called, I don't even know a word for it in Swedish :)

img20130208191818.jpg
img20130208191619.jpg

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came up with an easy way to solve the problem, but I don't have a pic and it's not easy to describe. I may have posted about it in the Zebralight Mods thread here, but I don't remember for certain. Check there to see.

pblanch

Enlightened
So I've been watching the thread for a while and have noticed the complaints of the waterproofing/sealing of the 502 seems to have dropped off.

Is it that the horse has been flogged enough (excuse the pun) or does it seem that they have fixed the issue perhaps?

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've been watching the thread for a while and have noticed the complaints of the waterproofing/sealing of the 502 seems to have dropped off.

Is it that the horse has been flogged enough (excuse the pun) or does it seem that they have fixed the issue perhaps?

Well... if you caught my poll on the issue, it turned out that the number of failures recorded by actual dunk tests, conducted over 2 weeks when the H502 leaking topic was red-hot was...(drum roll) ... one...and one person who voted a leak, only imagined that he would have a leak if he did submerge his light. That poll got 1500 views during that time so the issue was well-exposed. So while I'm certain there were real leaks experienced by a few, the jury's still out regarding the internet gossip & exaggeration effect.

(LOL, not only is the jury still out, some of them have moved on, and some have, I suspect, expired...)

Secondly, it's entirely possible that ZL did modify or change a production procedure...they've certainly done that in the past...but they've not admitted anything, and our spies inside the ZL plant have been mum...so, we don't know.

My advice? Get a ZL from a reputable source, dunk it, if it passes, keep it and be happy. On the off chance it fails, return it, and scream bloody murder here at the CPF forums.

Last edited:

mr_magicfingers

Newly Enlightened
I think it has been described earlier in this or another H502 thread. I took me a while to figure out how it's done, and I took some pictures when I did it. If I can find them, I'll post them when I'm back on my computer.
I found them, but they weren't as good as I remembered them, so I took a couple of new ones. I think this is a case of a picture says more than a thousand words, but unfortunately my new pictures didn't turn out as informative as I would have liked. I hope they help a little though. I put paperclips (and red arrows) where you have to pry the band out of the plastic...whatever it may be called, I don't even know a word for it in Swedish :)

Thanks very much indeed, very helpful

rojos

Enlightened

shark_za

Enlightened
Hi,

For those of you who use a h502(c) while camping: which output setting do you usually use when doing typical camp tasks, like pitching tent, sitting around camp, cooking in front of the tent, etc.? I'm considering the h502c to replace a decade-old petzl with cracked housing and that famous hotspot, and based on the output setting I could find out how long runtime can I expect.

Thanks.

Hi there,
I use the H502c on the medium settings the most while camping.
M1 when I need to setup camp and erect my tent
M2 set to 9 lumen for all other outside tasks like cooking and sitting around camp.
Inside the tent I use the L1 setting the most.

Those three types of activity used to be H-M-L on my H501w and I get much more runtime now with the more optimised outputs.

For walking outside of the camp I use a H600 or MYO RXP.

ibu

Newly Enlightened
I gave up to waiting for the 502w. Can't believe, that it will come. My polite question sent to the zebralight support some weeks ago is still unanswered.

Can you suggest any other flood headlamp with a warm tint?

greeny1

Newly Enlightened
I got one of these last week. Love it, it will become my most used light around the house, shed garden etc.

It's really small - much smaller than the SC52.

It is very green tinged tint at the edges (doesn't bother me too much). I will not use the headband much (which now just comes will a single black holder) but I find the clip perfect for just clipping to the front of my shirt/coat etc. I suspect the clip mount points on the body will get very scratched up as I find myself twisting the clip around quite frequently. I would have preferred the clip to be a ring that is slotted over the body and held on by the tail cap. There are a number of ways it can be clipped to a cap, but to be honest clipping to my shirt/coat works great.

It's amazing how useful having this wide spill/flood is.

You probably couldn't get away with this being your only light (due to no throw), but for most people it would make a great addition providing something different.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave up to waiting for the 502w. Can't believe, that it will come. My polite question sent to the zebralight support some weeks ago is still unanswered.

Can you suggest any other flood headlamp with a warm tint?

They have the C model already, which is a fairly warm tint. I don't see why they'd do an additional neutral model as well.

If you want a warm tinted 502, go with the C.