ZebraLight H502 XM-L

ibu

Newly Enlightened
They have the C model already, which is a fairly warm tint. I don't see why they'd do an additional neutral model as well.

If you want a warm tinted 502, go with the C.

Hhmm. When do you expect a completly new flood model from ZL?
Next year?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hhmm. When do you expect a completly new flood model from ZL?
Next year?

Hard to say. Their product cycle typically seems to be in the 12 - 24 month range, longer for some models, shorter for others, depending on how successful it is. The SC600 has been out for almost two years now, and they don't seem to be considering retiring it; they're updating it in fact. On the other hand, the SC80 was pretty short lived and as far as I know has already been discontinued. What's more, the much hyped Q50 was lauded and talked about here before it even became a real prototype, but then it never saw the light of day, despite the enormous popular response to it.

The only thing I can see them doing differently for a true pure flood model is making one with a narrower beam profile; the 120º beam angle of the 502 is a bit wide for some people's tastes. I'd like to see them come out with an 80º or 90º version of it, but that's just me.

smokey616

Newly Enlightened
I for one am still holding out for a possible H502w, if only because they've released a 'w' version of almost every other light they've made.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is hight time that they did.
It is warm relative to the extreme cool-whites they used...

ibu

Newly Enlightened
A question about publishing a preorder option from ZL:

Where did they published that option inn the past?

On the main website inside the complete list of models?
In the newsletter?
On "hidden" pages?

I never understood, why they do not offer a preorder registration. It is quite uncomfortable for clients to check a website regularly.

Thanks.

Quigath

Newly Enlightened
Assuming you're on a walking hike in the woods or similar any of the standard lights would be great. The only zebra I have is the older 501, it lights up the path ahead just fine. Usually it's best to keep a flood headlamp on to light up generally and a focused beam flashlight in the hand to spot things. I find they work best together.
As for which Zebralight flood to choose: if you want to appreciate the colors of nature, choose a higher CRI light, like the 502c/d. For maximum output and runtime, get the standard 502. They also have those other battery format lights but haven't tried those yet -- this is a 502 thread.

tickled

Newly Enlightened
I've recently received the H502d model with the 5000K Luxeon Rebel.

Liking the excellent neutral beam. Unlike warmer tints, white looks white which is as it should be.

The beam itself is one large ball of white light surrounded by a very yellow corona. It's not exactly apples to apples but the reflectored XM-L 3C lights I have (which are supposed to be 4700-5000K) look quite different. They look noticeably yellower in the hotspot and spill even though the CCT is supposed to be almost the same.

The clip as mentioned has a death grip on the body, which got scratched while I was removing it and again when I put it back on.

One thing I didn't appreciate from just pictures is how diminutive this thing is. Although it's fatter than the LD01 on my keychain, it is quite a bit shorter. Being unobtrusive is a plus when being carried in a shirt pocket.

Aside from the clip issues, liking the buy so far.

Last edited:

burntoshine

Enlightened
Just noticed an email from ZL about the H502w. I bought the H502d and immediately sold it because I didn't like the tint. However, I might look into getting the XML2w version. I've always been happy with their neutral tints.

Really, I'm deciding between the H502w and the SC52w. Neither are available at the moment, which is great for me because I don't have much in the way of extra funds. This gives me plenty of time to figure out which one I want. I still have and use my H501w; perfect up-close flood - absolutely love it!

I'm very fond of ZL's headlamps!

wentworth

Newly Enlightened
H502d troubleshooting

Hi All,
the 502d is my "get up during the night light" and over the past two nights it's been acting strangely. I turned it on at L1 and put it down on a table in tailstand. The light seemed to dim a little, then went back to normal brightness. This morning, I turned it on, set it down on the table in tailstand and it turned off.
I'm using an eneloop which has plenty of charge.
I can't get the light to play up in the same way, so it's difficult to know what the problem is.

When I get up in the morning it's probably 5 degrees C. I wouldn't have thought cold was an issue for eneloops at this temp.

Any ideas appreciated.

1mT

Newly Enlightened
Re: H502d troubleshooting

I also have a problems with my new zebra H502d
The video shows only one of the problems.

In consequence of video compression is hard to see, but after 4 clicks H502d blinks 4 times.