Zebralight H51

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight H51 details/preorder!!!

I believe they will be releasing an H51F.

I know, but that will be an all-flood and no throw light like the H501. The XP-G mated with an OP reflector, in theory, should have a big hot spot with some flood and some throw. If the hot spot is big enough for up-close use, then I don't have to buy another light.

By the way, it's possible to make an all flood light with throw. Check out this light http://www.dereelight.com/cl1hv4nohs.htm

The combination of flood and throw is practical and useful. Why aren't more companies making lights like this? Why isn't Zebralight making lights like this?

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Must be one heck of a circuit then.
If it is as claimed then... awesome.
Now I just wonder if I can accept a headlamp with a greenish tint.
I thought I was fine with my Quark but the green tint is beginning to get to me.

I was worried with my H31 and it's the best XPG tint I own so I'm really not worried about it until proven otherwise, I think I will go ahead and pre-order one. I'm with you on the on the output if we get what is claimed then awesome pretty much says it all. ZL has been real good with their OTF output claims and right now I'm inclined to believe them.

It sounds like like this could be the headlamp to own, 200lms from a AA for ~1hr and all the other nice output to choose from :)

red02

Enlightened

I hope they build this lamp out of a good chunk of Al, 200lm with 1AA means -LOTS- of heat.

Shorty66

Enlightened

I noticed that too. Makes me think again if the H31 wouldnt be the better choice as its smaller and might be more suitable to EDC.
On the other hand, AA is a big plus for EDC lights as i dont regularly check the charge of my batteries and if the light is needed i might have to get a new battery...

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I noticed that too. Makes me think again if the H31 wouldnt be the better choice as its smaller and might be more suitable to EDC.
On the other hand, AA is a big plus for EDC lights as i dont regularly check the charge of my batteries and if the light is needed i might have to get a new battery...

The argument for exotic cr123 battery has been that it's brighter than AA battery. This new circuit that Zebralight uses in the H51 closes that gap almost entirely. Now you have the same power of cr123 in cheap, guilt-free Eneloop form.

The smaller H31 might feel better on the head and might be easier to use as a desk lamp or book light. The longer H51 will be more stable as a neck light and better to hold when used as a flashlight. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened

CR123a are not only brighter but also denser in terms of energy. I think it was 3xAA=1cr123 So you get more runtime and arguably better performance in extreme temperature ranges, ie after being stored in a hot or cold car.

If you order batteries online then you can find some nice deals for CR123as.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder why they would choose to remove the clip from the package. It is what makes the headlamp so much more versatile.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to Zebralight website, runtimes are almost identical for the H31 and H51. Since Eneloop is rechargeable, it should be compared to rechargeable RCR123, which has much shorter runtime than CR123A. CR123 should be compared to L91. An L91 used in the H51 should last longer than a CR123 used in the H31.

red02

Enlightened

If cr123 are the standard primary, Alkalines are the counterpart.

Even if you ignore that point, the problem with that argument is that cr123s are usually cheaper online. They last longer, and have higher voltage than L91s, which means you can use the more efficient buck circuit. There are also more lights that can run on CR123s than on AAs or L91s.

RCRs also pack more power (i think) than an Eneloop and have a higher voltage which has the same effect as the cr123 over the AA.

Any info if the H51 will include a better heat sink?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

General power density of various batteries are fairly well-known. I am talking specifically about the H51 and H31 and the listed specs here. What the new circuit Zebralight uses in the H51 is amazing -- giving it the same runtime and almost the same power as the H31 from an Eneloop.

Last edited:

copperfox

Enlightened

If the reviews show the hotspot to be nice and wide and if they offer a neutral tint version, then I will buy one. (I have the 501w)

BackBlast

Newly Enlightened

I hope they build this lamp out of a good chunk of Al, 200lm with 1AA means -LOTS- of heat.

Lumens have but little to do with heat other than what is implied with baseline efficiency guestimates. Wasted power is heat, and lumens don't tell the whole story. With LEDs growing in efficiency like they have. More and more power (as a percentage) is being wasted in the power circuit, which Zebra seems to have spent a great deal of effort working on. There is no law that says 1xAA@200 lumens w/XPG must put out more heat than 1xCR123@200 lumens w/XPG

CR123a are not only brighter but also denser in terms of energy. I think it was 3xAA=1cr123 So you get more runtime and arguably better performance in extreme temperature ranges, ie after being stored in a hot or cold car.
Lithium AAs are roughly equivalent to CR123s in most aspects related to performance. Rechargables are fairly comparable as well, and even favor AA types when you throw in "protected" cells or requirements for them. There is certainly not a 3:1 ratio unless you are not comparing apples to apples.

If cr123 are the standard primary, Alkalines are the counterpart.
CR123s are what, 3-5x more expensive than bog standard alkalines? That's not a real comparison. Besides, alkalines stink for high output and every runtime test shows that. I don't know anyone who uses alkalines with any regularity in nice Flashlights. If that's all you consider as comparable, I can see why you are so vehement against AA lights. I totally agree that Alkaline cells are garbage relative to other options on the market.
Even if you ignore that point, the problem with that argument is that cr123s are usually cheaper online. They last longer, and have higher voltage than L91s, which means you can use the more efficient buck circuit.
I picked up my last batch of Energizer Lithium AAs for $0.50 ea, "usually cheaper" *shrug*. I only use those for emergency backups anyway. General performance is very comparable, voltage is only an issue for circuit design. It is *easier* to build more efficient circuits for higher voltages that are *smaller*, that does not mean lower voltage based circuits cannot perform well or at similar levels of efficiency. The crappy efficiencies seen in low voltage circuits are due to wanting cheap+small (which works better with higher voltage) as well as an artifact of trying to build jack-of-all-trades circuits since you essentially *have to* optimize for lithium voltage range and that makes low voltage an after thought. This is the main thing lacking in quality AA lights, better/more efficient boost circuits from the 1.0-1.5v range and it looks like Zebralight is moving a little in that direction - good for them. Doing so usually means throwing high voltage support out the window, and I find that perfectly reasonable for a AA based light and should be thoroughly applauded.

red02

Enlightened

I picked up my last batch of Energizer Lithium AAs for $0.50 ea, "usually cheaper" *shrug*.

Awesome! where did you find that deal? Where they 'Ultimate' or 'Advanced'?? I'm constantly on the lookout for cheap 'Ultimates'.

fixitman

Newly Enlightened

I am with both copperfox and davidt1. I really hope it has a wide center spot and wide very bright spill, and available in a neutral tint.
I have an H501w, and its a nice light, but I dont get as much use out of it as I would if it had just a bit of a hotspot.
My current most common headlamp use is clipping my Quark MiNi AA neutral to my hat brim. The Quark beam pattern is somewhat close to what I would want. Its beam is just a bit too narrow and focused, but it gets the job done.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, my most used light is my H501. That's because most of my lighting need is up-close. But once in a while I need to see things at a distance about 30 - 50 feet away. I thought it would be nice if I can have just one light that gives me both some flood and some throw. The H51 will definitely give me the throw. Because it uses the XP-G and OP reflector, I know there will be a big hot spot. Since I am so spoiled by the wonderful, even beam of the H501, the question is: will the H51 beam be enough?

About using flashlights as fake headlamps on hat and stuff, I have tried many and none comes close to my H501. The main reason is you can't rotate the beam to where you want like you can with the H501. Another reason is you can't use flashlights at chest level like you can with ZL lights. Unless I am doing something that requires extreme body movement like climbing trees, working under cars, etc., wearing the H501 around the neck at chest level is my preferred way to use this light.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

The H51 will definitely give me the throw. Because it uses the XP-G and OP reflector, I know there will be a big hot spot. Since I am so spoiled by the wonderful, even beam of the H501, the question is: will the H51 beam be enough?

You can look at H31 beamshots I think the beams will be near identical besides the little bit of extra output with the H31. I never thought I would say you will probably not be able to see much difference in output between the Cr123 light and the AA light, still can't believe I just said that. :)

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome! where did you find that deal? Where they 'Ultimate' or 'Advanced'?? I'm constantly on the lookout for cheap 'Ultimates'.

I'd like to know where I can get L91 for $.50 too.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can look at H31 beamshots I think the beams will be near identical besides the little bit of extra output with the H31. I never thought I would say you will probably not be able to see much difference in output between the Cr123 light and the AA light, still can't believe I just said that. :)

You mean between the H31 and H51? I believe it. There is only a 20lm output difference between them.

BackBlast

Newly Enlightened

Advanced, the Lowes deal posted in "Good Deals" in the Marketplace...