Zebralight H51

Zenster

Enlightened
Re: Zebralight H51 details/preorder!!!

I received my H51 and it's a beautifully made light. Tons of output, bright hot spot and plenty of spill.

Time to put all my non Zebra lights in the back of my sock draw!

Hoping an early adapter such as yourself can offer some guidance...

I like my H501W a LOT for it's beam with no hotspot which makes it absolutely perfect for reading pages in a book, but it's also bright enough for work in the yard at night.

So I'm wondering if you've tried reading with your H51 yet and noted if the hotspot, when reading, is distracting, or if it covers enough area on a page to allow a comfortable read.

I was already considering getting a second H501W when the H51 came out and thought I'd get some input on the H51 specifically with reading in mind.

workingmids

Newly Enlightened

Zenster, having also recently purchased the H501w, I too find it the ideal reading headlamp mainly because of the neutral tint, though the flood pattern is another key factor. All my other lights are standard cooler tint and make reading less enjoyable by comparison, regardless of pattern style. I was quite surprised by the tint factor, though I never have liked the ultra warm incandescent.

I too have ordered an H51 primarily for its throw. There seems to be a growing neutral tint consumer though it sounds that the cost is preceived output?; Quark now lists a 28% reduction for it's neutral tint. I remain conflicted.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hoping an early adapter such as yourself can offer some guidance...

I like my H501W a LOT for it's beam with no hotspot which makes it absolutely perfect for reading pages in a book, but it's also bright enough for work in the yard at night.

So I'm wondering if you've tried reading with your H51 yet and noted if the hotspot, when reading, is distracting, or if it covers enough area on a page to allow a comfortable read.

I was already considering getting a second H501W when the H51 came out and thought I'd get some input on the H51 specifically with reading in mind.

Hi, a few of us had commented on this a few pages ago--check post #68:
Originally Posted by jhc37013
Obviously not as good as the H501 but I'm sitting here looking at a hard copy book while the H51 is on low and with the book about 12" from my eyes the hotspot is ~3 inches wide and both pages of the book are full of light. I can use it on either of the two low modes and it does not bother me, so in short I think because of the wider hotspot from the XP-G it is fine for me with up close task. I have been comparing the XP-E SC50 that uses the same reflector and think it's much better up close. Everyone is different so opinions will vary and I would for sure pick up the H501 for reading and such but I would say the H51 is not handicapped in this area, IMO the low modes get down low enough and the hotspot is wide enough that I am comfortable reading a book in the dark with it so outdoor up close task should be cake.
I whole-heartedly agree.

For up-close work, the H501 warm has spoiled me... it's like being able to see in the dark!

But the H51 is as good as any flashlight for this task and, agreed, the XP-G really makes for a nice smooth beam. Totally passing grade, but clearly this is designed for looking up ahead... this will be the caving/trail/biking light to beat!
;)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you already received your H51 with no clip I would contact ZL and see if they will send you once they are available. I guess there is no guarantee because we did order it knowing a clip was not included. I'm not going to bother I have the H31 clip and I don't use clips anyways. I would not be surprised though if one day I go to the mailbox and their is a small package with a clip in it, ya never know.

Zenster

Enlightened

Hi, a few of us had commented on this a few pages ago--check post #68:
;)

I appreciate that.

We all have our most-used purpose for whatever we buy, and in my case, I'm looking for a great book reader light, but also something for working on my car when I need more light underneath or in the engine compartment.

I like that the H51 is of higher lumen output than the H501W, but I think I need to get another H501W instead (my wife has commandeered my first H501W as her own) in order to stay with the even, wide, non-artifact beam that the H501W does so well.

If I wanted a trail light with a hot spot that throws, I'd probably go for the H51, but the H31 might be even better since I keep so many spare 123's on hand that I'm not too worried about staying with AA's so much (although I do prefer AA's for "emergency" use).

In the end, I'll still spend more on these damn things, so Pay Pal is no "pal" of mine. :broke:

Mikellen

Enlightened

I have a question for the owners of this light. From what I understand the modes are memorized when turning the light off and even when locking out the tailcap so when turning the light back on, the last mode that was previously used will come on first.

Now to the question....If the light is on with the lowest sub level mode engaged, then the tailcap is slightly loosened to turn the light off, (not using the switch), then wait a period of time, then when the tailcap is tightened again will the light come on in the last mode used (lowest mode sub level)?

In other words I'd like to know if the last mode will be memorized even with just using the tailcap to turn the light on and off with, sort of like using the light as a twisty instead of the clicky.

Thanks!

Shorty66

Enlightened

I appreciate that.

We all have our most-used purpose for whatever we buy, and in my case, I'm looking for a great book reader light, but also something for working on my car when I need more light underneath or in the engine compartment.

I like that the H51 is of higher lumen output than the H501W, but I think I need to get another H501W instead (my wife has commandeered my first H501W as her own) in order to stay with the even, wide, non-artifact beam that the H501W does so well.

If I wanted a trail light with a hot spot that throws, I'd probably go for the H51, but the H31 might be even better since I keep so many spare 123's on hand that I'm not too worried about staying with AA's so much (although I do prefer AA's for "emergency" use).

In the end, I'll still spend more on these damn things, so Pay Pal is no "pal" of mine. :broke:

If you have no urge you should wait for the H51F scheduled mid to late september.
That should be a h51 with the beampattern of a h501.
If you need to get a warm version, you will have to wait a little longe though as warm XPGs seem to be difficult to get...

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a question for the owners of this light. From what I understand the modes are memorized when turning the light off and even when locking out the tailcap so when turning the light back on, the last mode that was previously used will come on first.

Now to the question....If the light is on with the lowest sub level mode engaged, then the tailcap is slightly loosened to turn the light off, (not using the switch), then wait a period of time, then when the tailcap is tightened again will the light come on in the last mode used (lowest mode sub level)?

In other words I'd like to know if the last mode will be memorized even with just using the tailcap to turn the light on and off with, sort of like using the light as a twisty instead of the clicky.

Thanks!

The light has a electronic switch so if you loosen the tailcap it will turn off and when you tighten the cap back up it will remain off until you activate the switch again. The light memorizes what sub-levels you have the modes set to even if you take out the battery. Zebralight has it's own unique UI and does not have typical memory like other light's that use the last mode used memory, no it's much better than that.

Mikellen

Enlightened

The light has a electronic switch so if you loosen the tailcap it will turn off and when you tighten the cap back up it will remain off until you activate the switch again. The light memorizes what sub-levels you have the modes set to even if you take out the battery. Zebralight has it's own unique UI and does not have typical memory like other light's that use the last mode used memory, no it's much better than that.

I think I understand..... If you loosen the tailcap while the light is on, it disconnects the electronic switch underneath the rubber boot.
When you re-tighten the tailcap the rubber boot still needs to be pressed to activate the switch to turn the light on.

Thanks for the info!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Correct you will have to engage the switch once more to turn it back on.

Are you worried about accidental activation or did you hope to use it like a regular twisty light?

I use to turn my H501 on in my pocket accidentally but with the new recessed switch design I have not accidentally activated it on any of the new models, yet. I have carried the H51, SC50 and SC60 and no accidental activations on any, but now the SC60 stays in pocket permanently. :)

Mikellen

Enlightened

Correct you will have to engage the switch once more to turn it back on.

Are you worried about accidental activation or did you hope to use it like a regular twisty light?

I use to turn my H501 on in my pocket accidentally but with the new recessed switch design I have not accidentally activated it on any of the new models, yet. I have carried the H51, SC50 and SC60 and no accidental activations on any, but now the SC60 stays in pocket permanently. :)

I was hoping to use it as a twisty in order to prevent the parasitic drain.
I know the current draw is negligible but still a concern of mine.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened

I was hoping to use it as a twisty in order to prevent the parasitic drain.
I know the current draw is negligible but still a concern of mine.

Have you seen the specs for the H51 on the official Zebralight site ?

"Parasitic Drain: Negligible (equivalent to 16 years) "

Unless you have unusual circumstances (and given the shelf life of most battery's is less than 16 years) I don't think the parasitic drain for this particular light is something I would concerned about. If I hadn't used a light for that long I doubt I would even know where to start looking for it.

Last edited:

Shorty66

Enlightened

parasitic drain wouldnt be my concern either. I could understand concerns on battery life though, if the light was to be carried in a pocket where the switch could be accidentially activated - thats what the lockout feature is for.

I must admit though, that i´d love to have the option of using the light like a one mode (or multi mode memorized) twisty:
It should not be to hard to combine the best of both worlds:

• If the light is locked out from "on" and unlocked again it should light up in the last used mode.
  • If it is locked form "off" it should just work like it does now.

That would be the perfect mixture of clicky and twisty :)
The only thing missing would be a momentary mode...

PayBack

Enlightened

THIS JUST IN!

If you check the listing on the Zebra site for the H51, you'll see that they moved the shipping time back another week so that they can include a pocket clip.

Well, you can't say that they don't listen to their customers.

http://www.zebralight.com/H51-Headlamp-AA-200Lm_p_37.html

Noticed this, WD to Zebralight. Down side.. no excuse not to buy one :( Well except for the fact I don't NEED it, but that's never stopped me.

LEDconvert

Newly Enlightened

Zebralight H50 Vs. H51

First off, compared to other reiews, I know this isn't up to scratch in terms of metrics and hard facts, these are just my impressions and observations. So with that in mind...

I have been using my H50 regularly, probably every day, since I got it a couple of years ago. It's my principal way of reading at night, and during the autumn winter months I use it around the house to avoid switching on lights and waking little ones. I didn't buy it realizing that I would come to use a floody light so much, (light purchases are not governed by rational thought processes). As I grew to appreciate its benefits it's become the nearest thing I have to an EDC for about the house.

Mainly because I liked the H50's quality I ordered an SC50 when they came out, but when I got wind of the existence of the H51, I emailed ZL to change my order, which they obligingly did back in February. So to say that I was anticipating the arrival of this light would be an understatement: I practically ripped open the box when it arrived.

I wasn't disappointed. My first impression was: that it is so solid. Even though it isn't that much bigger than the H50, it gives the impression that it is. It reminds me a little bit of the Fenix TK1 in terms of build quality: like it's three times stronger than it needs to be – but that's a good thing.

It is a little bulkier in terms of width and height than the H50, but again, I expected that: you can't have that switch without taking up a little more room, right?
Photos here: http://picasaweb.google.com/diarcon/20100820?feat=directlink

I'm not a sure of the engineering rationale for those 'gills' that wrap around the back of the head , but I'm guessing they are there to help make a bigger surface area for heat dissipation? I would think there's nothing on those lights that doesn't serve a purpose.

When I turned on the light, it didn't disappoint either. It is very very bright and has a good deal of throw (considering its reflector size). Up to 10-15 meters it is indistinguishable to me in terms of brightness copard to my FenixL2D which is rated at 180 lumens I think. In fact, at those distances I think the beam is actually more useful on the H51 because it is as bright (marginally brighter) but has a larger hotspot diameter. The deeper reflector gives the L2D more focus/throw on longer distances obviously, but for a single AA battery headlight I think the H51 is punching above its weight. It's amazing really how much light the H51 produces using a single AA battery.
I used it while cycling last night and on Medium (higher level) it was bright enough for me to cycle in an urban area. High would be more than enough on a dark road.
I do think my H51 has a very very slight green tint (compared to the L2D) but I am not overly concerned about that.

I've often wondered why ZL don't do an AAA light? Granted, the run times would be shorter on higher settings, but my Fenix L0D has stayed on my key-ring because it's a tiny AAA. If I saw a manufacturer advertising AAA light that produces ~200lm I'd be at their door (website at least) in the morning trying to shove my money in.

The UI is simple enough to use. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the High-high setting is saved when you turn it off. I thought the ZL website had originally said it wouldn't be?
To be honest I don't really mind what the mid range settings are. I use max or min power usually and the UI lets me access either of those instantly. A quick click turns it on high a longer click and hold starts it off on low.
It takes a little practice not to release too soon and end up blinding yourself (or the missus) or too late before it continues up to the mid setting. You have about one second to release on low before it goes on to the mid setting. It jumps to the high setting pretty quickly though, so you have to be quick to release on mid. The only thing I notice when I click and hold, sometimes (I'd say about once in every five uses) there's a tiny little bit of pre-flash before it stays at low. It's nowhere near a full strength flash – probably not much more than the low-low strength - certainly not enough to bother me. The clickie switch is easy to switch on accidentally but a short twist of the tail cap locks out the power. Again, this to me only indicates good design, because I don't want a stiff switch, and they have provided a solution to an obvious possible problem.

One thing not mentioned in the instructions for the UI was that when you do a quick click to get the high setting, if you follow this up (within a second I'd say) with one or two further clicks, it cycles down from H to M to L. If you wait any longer than a second, the double click action switches you between H1 and H2 or M1 M2, depending on where you stop. This is something I like, because you have the option of quickly moving down through the levels from off, or you can use the click and hold to cycle up from L-M-H by clicking and holding. I had originally thought I'd like a fully programmable UI, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that this is how I would have probably set it up anyway.

The very low setting (0.2 lm I think), is enough for me to read by in complete darkness.
The L2 setting might be brighter, but the hot spot is too bright for my liking.
The clickie switch feels good quality and is quiet (its about the same loudness as my mouse click).

If I could change things I would do the following:
Add a removable steel clip like the SC50
Add a ring anchor point for a lanyard etc.

After mine arrived I saw ZL had changed the accessories to include a removable clip. I contacted ZL to see if I could buy one, as I knew there wasn't one when its details were first announced, and they wrote back saying that they'd post me one for free when they were available. 'Can't say fairer than that', as we say in this part of the world.
My only whine would be that it lacks a ring anchor point that would allow me to put it on a lanyard. The same was true of my H50, but it hasn't stopped me from loving it or finding it so useful.
Actually, it's a bit unfair of me to complain about that, because you don't expect someone to carry something that has been designed as a headlamp in another way, do you?

If size/technical constraints didn't matter I'd like the following:
Have a momentary on action for the switch
Have some kind of built in diffuser that could be used for close up work.

In summary then, I think this is just about the perfect light for my EDC (if only it was more carry-able/wearable). It's small, it has power, many levels, plenty of throw, can be used hands free, works on AA. That's all I need. On the other hand, I don't think my H50 will surrender its place as my 'around house light' just yet. I love its flood and it is a very symmetrical aesthetically pleasing light.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast

Zebralight H50 Vs. H51

First off, compared to other reiews, I know this isn't up to scratch in terms of metrics and hard facts, these are just my impressions and observations. So with that in mind...

Thanks, LEDconvert. This is an excellent post that really resonates with me. I am comparing mine to the H501w, but basically echo you word for word. I think for anyone on the fence about this light, this thread really gives a great range of hard data and well-balanced and seasoned impressions.

Awesome!

kkeyser

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for that mini-review, ledconvert.

I am eagerly awaiting mine. I was vacillating on ordering mine until I saw they were adding the clip. At that point, I had no choice but to order one, lol.

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened

Would the H51 fit in the TwoFish lockblock? My wife's bike light just pooped out and this looks like it might be perfect for me to enjoy too. Thanks, Dave

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think my H50 will surrender its place as my 'around house light' just yet. I love its flood and it is a very symmetrical aesthetically pleasing light.

My H51 has certainly not replaced my 501 indoors but outdoors it's a different story, it has replaced my PT Apex.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would the H51 fit in the TwoFish lockblock? My wife's bike light just pooped out and this looks like it might be perfect for me to enjoy too. Thanks, Dave
Im sure it would but wouldnt it make more sense to put
an SC50 in there instead since its a forward facing light
rather than 90deg?

ive used a lockblock for my quark mini123 and for my C-2 and L2p

theyre pretty flexible size wise- tho I ended up adding a little shoe goo
to the strap so it had more grip but Im using mine on a downhill mtn bike:devil:

exited to compare the H51 to my H31
my GF used the H31 on a trip to Lassen this weekend and
it was a perfect trail light and the low is great for in the tent
etc.

Im trading her the 51 for the 31 when it comes since shes not
into dealing with 16340s

hope the 51 is close to as bright as the 31 on max.

also- the H31 seems a bit brighter with an RCR compared to
a primary - I should send it to BIG C to test for us:sssh:

Latest posts