Zebralight H51F

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Comming Soon: Zebralight H51F

Let's hope they keeep the low low. All to often when companies upgrade emitters both the low and high get brighter. I'm all for a higher high, but let's keep the low just that, low. (the flood mitigates this somewhat, but not entirely)

branespload

Newly Enlightened

So what is the H51 you speak of. I see nothing about it on the ZL website.

the H51 is going to be the reflectored headlamp that runs off 1xAA, like an AA version of the H31. It's not listed on the site because it's being released a few weeks-a month or so after the H31, which shipped out very recently. :)

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, I take back what I said. If Zebralight finds a way to take advantage of the efficiency of the XP-G emitter to make the H51F put out 120 lumens for 3 hours, I will buy one with neutral XP-G (assuming this is an all flood light). My H501 is about 1.5 year old anyway. It's time to update to the latest version, but only the if the latest version is clearly better.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

What would be the difference in functionality between an updated H501 and a H51F? Seems like they'd be redundant. Is the H51F supposed to be the successor to the humble H50?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

What would be the difference in functionality between an updated H501 and a H51F? Seems like they'd be redundant. Is the H51F supposed to be the successor to the humble H50?

You can think of the H51 as the 2010 version of the H50 -- a new model for the new year. Car manufacturers make new models every year. Here is a suggestion to Zebralight:

Give the H51F a smaller flood and longer throw than the H501.

I would say a 40 degree flood with twice the throw of the H501 would be a perfect light for me.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can think of the H51 as the 2010 version of the H50 -- a new model for the new year. Car manufacturers make new models every year. Here is a suggestion to Zebralight:

Give the H51F a smaller flood and longer throw than the H501.

I would say a 40 degree flood with twice the throw of the H501 would be a perfect light for me.

Sounds perfect to me as well. I only have the H-50 but 120 degrees is too much flood. Never tried the H50B or H501 with the 80 degree flood but 40 would be great.

Shorty66

Enlightened

You can think of the H51 as the 2010 version of the H50 -- a new model for the new year. Car manufacturers make new models every year.

No. you mean the H51F is the 2010 version of the H501.
H50 and h51 dont have any relationship.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

No. you mean the H51F is the 2010 version of the H501.
H50 and h51 dont have any relationship.

You are right. I meant the H501.

To reiterate on my suggestion to Zebralight:

The new reflectored lights are nice, but a regular beam with hot spot just won't do as well as an all-flood beam for up-close tasks, not to mention the bouncing effect a regular beam has, which is not so visible with an all-flood beam. So how do you give an all-flood beam more throw? I suggest by taking something like the H501, make the beam smaller (but still all flood) and gives it an efficient emitter. Such a light would retain that so useful all-flood beam (albeit smaller) with some added throw.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

Then what is the difference between the H51F and the H501 with the updated UI with moon mode? One has a reflector the other doesn't, but both are flood lights? Again seems redundant.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Then what is the difference between the H51F and the H501 with the updated UI with moon mode? One has a reflector the other doesn't, but both are flood lights? Again seems redundant.

If it's true that Zebralight is making the H51F, then this means they are a progressive, forward-thinking company who strive to improve all the times. No, I don't think it's redundant. The new light will have an improved UI, a boost circuit to take full advantage of 14500 battery, a new ground glass, and neutral XP-G (OK, I added the last one). These are features the H501 does not have.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it's true that Zebralight is making the H51F, then this means they are a progressive, forward-thinking company who strive to improve all the times. No, I don't think it's redundant. The new light will have an improved UI, a boost circuit to take full advantage of 14500 battery, a new ground glass, and neutral XP-G (OK, I added the last one). These are features the H501 does not have.

The H501 "supposedly" has the new UI. Not sure if it doesn't include said boost circuit either. The ground glass is probably not and IIRC it is still XP-E.

Shorty66

Enlightened

Where did you get the info, that the h501 has a new ui? On the website it still says Low=3,3lumens. Now mention of a moon mode or any multiple modes exept for the strobe option on high.
I dont think that the h51F will get a reflector.

In my view the update from h501 to h51f is very nice. The h501 really lacks a moon mode and a better 14500 compability.
I would still prefer the H501R UI for the new H51f but we will see...

MountainVoyageur

Newly Enlightened

FYI: email from Zebralight said:

The settings on the H51 will be exactly the same as the SC50. You will notice that the higher HIGH is available only with 14500 battries (in the case of SC50, 193 Lm for 14500 and 122Lm for other AAs).
However, like the H31, the H51 will use XP-G LEDs.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where did you get the info, that the h501 has a new ui? On the website it still says Low=3,3lumens. Now mention of a moon mode or any multiple modes exept for the strobe option on high.
I dont think that the h51F will get a reflector.

In my view the update from h501 to h51f is very nice. The h501 really lacks a moon mode and a better 14500 compability.
I would still prefer the H501R UI for the new H51f but we will see...

I was the first one to ask for the H501R UI, but I think the new UI is more flexible with two levels of low and medium. The moon mode you want is the lower low. A lot of time I wish for a higher medium of my H501 so I don't have to use high. The new UI gives me that higher medium when I want it.

Shorty66

Enlightened

the new UI is great!
I would rather like two different strobe modes (or one Beacon mode) but that might be a quite specific wish asnd i think the new UI (of the scXX series) is really great.
The h31 really lacks the 2hz strobe mode though.

If i would be able to change anything on the UI id try to add a moment mode.
Something along this lines:

From off:

Push and hold (at least .5 seconds) to moment high (200lm).
Click to cycle through low > mid > high >off.

From moment high:

release and quickly click again to high.

From on:

Double click to change brightness / reach strobe or beacon modes.
Click and hold to off.
Click to cycle through low > mid > high >off.

That way youd have the best of both world: Zebrlaight UI + moment light.

the ideal modes would be for me:

(220lm|100lm)/2hz strobe
(depending on used battery)
50lm/20lm
5lm/0.5lm

Low and Mid memorized.

I just made a small drawing to illustrate my UI idea:
headlampui.png

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Early H31 owners are happy with their lights. It has throw and performs well in up-close tasks. Since the H51 is basically the same light with a different battery, we can expect it to perform just as well. I will be happy with the cool XP-G, if that's what available first. I am ready to hit the "pre-order" button.

If they indeed makes the H51F, I will buy that too.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

the H51 is going to be the reflectored headlamp that runs off 1xAA, like an AA version of the H31. It's not listed on the site because it's being released a few weeks-a month or so after the H31, which shipped out very recently. :)

I don't need another floody AA ZL but the reflectored one might be on my want list. Going to hold off for the reviews just incase of bugs etc.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast

It came from me. I own a recent 501 with a moon mode & a strobe on the medium setting after asking about a updated UI from ZL. I have a video showing the moonmode alongside a SC30w in one of these ZL threads.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nothing on Zebralight website yet!