Zebralight SC5 and SC5w First Impressions

markr6

Flashaholic
They say both are 500 max doesn't mean they ARE the same on max.

Got it. Sorry, I didn't have have equipment to measure this other than the constantly aging eyes! They looked the same to me.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
They say both are 500 max doesn't mean they ARE the same on max.

Selfbuilt measured 540 lumens on the SC52 with 14500 and 575 lumens from the SC5. Not much of a difference but definitely a little bit brighter.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm... just noticed my little-used SC5w seems to have declined.

When I first got it on Eneloop Pro, it was easily as bright as my SC52w on 14500.

But now, it's far dimmer. I'd be surprised if it's outputting more than 50 lumens at max turbo even on a fresh Eneloop Pro... not good considering it's mostly just been sitting on a desk while I EDC other lights. Sounds like its time to send it back for warranty repair.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm... just noticed my little-used SC5w seems to have declined.

When I first got it on Eneloop Pro, it was easily as bright as my SC52w on 14500.

But now, it's far dimmer. I'd be surprised if it's outputting more than 50 lumens at max turbo even on a fresh Eneloop Pro... not good considering it's mostly just been sitting on a desk while I EDC other lights. Sounds like its time to send it back for warranty repair.

Have you tried it with a different battery you know is good? If so, yeah, the driver sounds like it's broken.

markr6

Flashaholic
SC5/w OP (Orange Peel) version now available for pre-order. Shipping Sept. 4!!

markr6

Flashaholic
How many did you preorder? ;)

HAHA you know what, I actually had 2 in my cart! But $140 for two AA flashlights just didn't seem right! I figured I would try one, then immediately order another if I really like it, hoping to get "matching" tints.

Specs still say 80° spill, 10° spot. So either they didn't update that part, or specs are so close it wasn't worth measuring. OP may have just evened the beam ever so slightly; that's my hope!

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha I knew it! Here's to hoping you get a great copy with excellent tint, I know my copy is excellent and even makes my Nichia look bad which is pretty impressive. Now to see what the SC5fd will look like when they ship it..

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely! Even brand new, the AW is not the greatest thing around. The UR14500p is a MUCH better cell. But if the AW is old, all bets are off.

The "problem" with the Sanyo UR14500P is that it is only a 1A cell. Put a 2A load on it, and there is a significant reduction in voltage and capacity. This is clearly shown in HKJ's test of the cell. Of course, if your flashlight only pulls a max of 1A, then there is no problem.

henry1960

Enlightened
HAHA you know what, I actually had 2 in my cart! But $140 for two AA flashlights just didn't seem right! I figured I would try one, then immediately order another if I really like it, hoping to get "matching" tints.

Specs still say 80° spill, 10° spot. So either they didn't update that part, or specs are so close it wasn't worth measuring. OP may have just evened the beam ever so slightly; that's my hope!

Just Ordered Me One!!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "problem" with the Sanyo UR14500P is that it is only a 1A cell. Put a 2A load on it, and there is a significant reduction in voltage and capacity. This is clearly shown in HKJ's test of the cell. Of course, if your flashlight only pulls a max of 1A, then there is no problem.

All ICRs do the same with this Sanyo still yielding the best curves - it can handle 2A. An IMR is technically better for >1.5A draws, but then you take a big capacity hit. I think the big problem with this cell is that it is "big" (long) and won't fit in some lights - and some folks that forced it (screwed it down), have broken the circuit board on their light.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
All ICRs do the same with this Sanyo still yielding the best curves - it can handle 2A. An IMR is technically better for >1.5A draws, but then you take a big capacity hit. I think the big problem with this cell is that it is "big" (long) and won't fit in some lights - and some folks that forced it (screwed it down), have broken the circuit board on their light.

It is supposedly 49.3mm long. Is the spec wrong?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...R14500P-800mAh-(Red)&highlight=Sanyo+UR14500P

The protected button top Keeppower 14500 840mAh, which is built around the Sanyo, is 52.7mm long. I can see how that might not fit in some flashlights.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...R14500P-800mAh-(Red)&highlight=Sanyo+UR14500P

The protected button top Keeppower 14500 840mAh, which is built around the Sanyo, is 52.7mm long. I can see how that might not fit in some flashlights.

haha... Yes, I was looking at the KP version. Did you also notice on HKJs comparator, the red sample you link performs substantially worse at 2A and 3A (and now I see why you commented on 1A+). HKJ does mention at the end that this red sample cell was in storage for some time - perhaps that's the difference.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonSmallcomparator.php

insanefred

Enlightened

haha... Yes, I was looking at the KP version. Did you also notice on HKJs comparator, the red sample you link performs substantially worse at 2A and 3A (and now I see why you commented on 1A+). HKJ does mention at the end that this red sample cell was in storage for some time - perhaps that's the difference.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonSmallcomparator.php

There is another 2A test of the Sanyo here: http://www.dampfakkus.de/akkutest.php?id=20

The Sanyo came from a source different than HKJ"s

It still had unimpressive performance, being slightly worse than the protected Nitecore 14500 750mAh battery.

I pretty sure this is the wrong thread for this guys. Last time I checked, the sc5 series can't even use 3.7v battery.

Back on topic:

I just pre-ordered my SC5fd!

PandaLight

Newly Enlightened
Posted this question on the other SC5 thread but, has anyone tried it with a 14500 yet?

ankhbr

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys.

Is any of you using a holster for your SC5 light? If so, which one?

markr6

Flashaholic
Hi guys.

Is any of you using a holster for your SC5 light? If so, which one?

Here is the SC600 in Jetbeam 12x3.3cm holster. Cheap $$

SC600_holster.JPG

It's really jammed in there. The SC62 is a better fit, so I think the SC5 would be OK. Probably still larger than necessary, so I'm interested in other ideas!