Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

minnstars

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

Very Helpful review ... Thanks! :thanks:

wildweed

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

Awesome review....I just bought a new light..:naughty:

levelflight

Newly Enlightened

I received my SC600 yesterday and have to say this is truly a fine light. I love the massively increased output and have been able to closely compare it against my SC60, and have the following observations to share.

I have to admit I still have a sweet spot for the SC60 because of its thinner body, lighter weight, and overall compactness; it has me wondering if the SC600 could benefit if it went on a diet and was made a bit lighter as well. Just a thought. In daily use I have noticed that the 600 beam is quite a bit warmer than my 60C, but I haven't done enough testing to validate a personal preference, although I will say that even though I prefer cool LEDs the warmer glow of the 600 is not unpleasant at all.

Has anyone else noticed how sharp the milled edges are on Zebralights? I had to take my dremel to my SC60 to soften some of the edges using a Craytex tip. These are the same tips gunsmiths use to produce a polished finish that is ultra smooth; the aluminum really shines with this process. The clip on my 60, in particular, managed to damage the outer edge of my right pocket on two sets of trousers, actually cutting the material before I did the smoothing work. It actually cut the fabric. I have also done a bit of edge removal on my SC600 clip as well as around the switch and the outer edge of the tail cap. Having a slightly enlarged and smoothed area for my thumb to fit makes it easier to turn on and off. I also levelled out the little tabs that stand up on the part of the clip that wraps around the light.

Interesting to note that my light came from Illumination Gear and does not have the lanyard nub. I'm not overly fond of the milled lug on the latest version so I mocked up two possible lanyard and clip designs that are mutually inclusive and together don't add any excess buildup. Both ideas are based on a screw-on clip with lanyard mounting drilled into the lug (pic 1) and lanyard mounting drilled into the clip (pic 2). I would probably purchase another 600 if either of these features were offered as I really do prefer the robust reliability of a screw on clip.

Overall I am quite happy that I am easily able to pocket the 600 as my EDC and replace my trusty 60 with a strong upgrade. Thank you ZebraLight for making such a nice light with truly 'offensive' output and functionality. I really appreciate it and can't wait to receive my SC600H when they become available.

Suggested pocket clip/lanyard connector design:

levelflight

Newly Enlightened

OK, why can't I find the picture posting option for my thread above??? Help!

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, why can't I find the picture posting option for my thread above??? Help!

Hey, man -- I wanted to see what you were talking about, too.

Burgess

Flashaholic

Cuz' you can't Host yer' photos on CPF. :shakehead

You've gotta' post them on another site, like PhotoBucket, fer' instance.

Then, you simply LINK that image in your posting.

BAM !

You will then have a photo in your post !

There are several threads explaining all the details, if my explanation was not sufficient.

levelflight

Newly Enlightened

OK, thank you, I forgot about the linking and was looking for a 'button' thingy somewhere.....

So please keep in mind these are rough visual representations to generate feedback on this idea. After reflecting on this for a while it seems possible to have a hole go through the lug as well as the clip, which means that the tunnel would have a 90 degree turn beginning at the top side of the lug nearest the tail cap and eiting through the front of the clip. Anyways, just a few thoughts on the lanyard and clip design to bang around.

Pics are here: http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc486/DiveDeputy/?action=view&current=LugLanyardHole.jpg

Humminbird

Newly Enlightened

Levelflight, your design looks very good in my opinion. I have the latest version SC600 with the lanyard attachment, and my only gripe is that the pocket clip can't be fixed in the same spot as the lanyard hole. Your design would correct this and would also have a more secure clip fixing. Truth be told, the clip I got with my SC600 feels strong and pretty secure, so I'm not that worried about it. However, your design would remove any doubt.

jeffkruse

Newly Enlightened

Levelflight, your design looks very good in my opinion. I have the latest version SC600 with the lanyard attachment, and my only gripe is that the pocket clip can't be fixed in the same spot as the lanyard hole. Your design would correct this and would also have a more secure clip fixing. Truth be told, the clip I got with my SC600 feels strong and pretty secure, so I'm not that worried about it. However, your design would remove any doubt.

Can you tell me where you got the light or is this a violation of the TOS? If it's a violation then please PM me. Thanks!

levelflight

Newly Enlightened

Jeff,
Sorry about the delay responding, for some reason I haven't been receiving alerts on this thread....
The mod in the picture is strictly a Photoshop fix, my idea for solving two problems at the same time. If ZL can mill a lug onto the body for a lanyard attachment (which they are doing on the new models) then they may as well make it larger to fit the screw on clip as per the SC60, in my opinion. And then then can mill the additional hole for the lanyard as well. Just my suggestion of course, in the real world things may take a different direction....

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jeff,
Sorry about the delay responding, for some reason I haven't been receiving alerts on this thread....
The mod in the picture is strictly a Photoshop fix, my idea for solving two problems at the same time. If ZL can mill a lug onto the body for a lanyard attachment (which they are doing on the new models) then they may as well make it larger to fit the screw on clip as per the SC60, in my opinion. And then then can mill the additional hole for the lanyard as well. Just my suggestion of course, in the real world things may take a different direction....

We were talking about your proposed mod in this thread, too (post number 1702 to 1704).

ZebraLight SC600

I never saw a response, so perhaps you're not getting notifications (or perhaps that particular thread is too large to keep up with...which it arguably is...;)). Maybe you can chime in there, too.

PS: You might want to make sure your Settings>Settings General>Default Thread Subscription Mode has the "Instantly, using email" set up for notification.

Last edited:

levelflight

Newly Enlightened

varuscelli,
Yes, my settings were set to delayed notification or something, all fixed now!

yifu

Enlightened

Thanks for the review, i still cant believe that this light is brighter (ceiling bounce test) than the Jetbeam BC40, lighter, smaller, AND has twice the runtime on 1 18650 battery (3100mah redilasts). Zebralight has done a great job on the driver!

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review, i still cant believe that this light is brighter (ceiling bounce test) than the Jetbeam BC40, lighter, smaller, AND has twice the runtime on 1 18650 battery (3100mah redilasts). Zebralight has done a great job on the driver!

Sorry but how exactly does it have twice the runtime...? What brightness are you referring to..? You do know that the 750 lumens only lasts for 5 minutes and then it steps down to 500 for the rest of the time on high.

yifu

Enlightened

Ok, i have done some math that might show it better. The BC40 goes for about 800 lumen hours (its not 820 ANSI lumens) on 2 18650s, the SC600 goes for about 738.3 lumen hours on 1 18650 factoring in the output drop. That is NEARLY double the efficiency on just a standar capacity 2200, not a higher capacity flattop. Added on to that aside from the beam profile differences l, 500 lumens vs the 700ish OTF lumens of the BC40 is a very tiny difference to the human eye. Thats a really good job done by Zebralight!

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened
Ok, i have done some math that might show it better. The BC40 goes for about 800 lumen hours (its not 820 ANSI lumens) on 2 18650s, the SC600 goes for about 738.3 lumen hours on 1 18650 factoring in the output drop. That is NEARLY double the efficiency on just a standar capacity 2200, not a higher capacity flattop. Added on to that aside from the beam profile differences l, 500 lumens vs the 700ish OTF lumens of the BC40 is a very tiny difference to the human eye. Thats a really good job done by Zebralight!

Hmmm. Well whichever way you look at it the BC40 is at least 200 lumens brighter than the SC 600 on the extended runtime. The ZL has excellent runtimes but the ZL is more of a flooder and the BC40 a thrower. The jetbeam is brighter and runs for the longer on the max mode. The extra 18650 is immaterial to the comparison.

Shazidur

Newly Enlightened

Hi there, just wondering if you can tell me what flashlight has the better throw and spill at 100 meters, the T20C2 or sc600?
Thanks!

infinus

Newly Enlightened

Hmmm, I have both and I think the Eagletac hot spot is more concentrated, BUT, my t20 XML HO loses brightness fairly quick while the Zebralight has excellent regulation. So of you are comparing the first minute of runtime, or if you are using 2xrcr123 I'd say eagletac throws a bit more, but the Zebralight can't be beat for regulation and run time. If it helps, my t20 is now my wife's night time light and I use my Zebralight! Love the Zebralight.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi there, just wondering if you can tell me what flashlight has the better throw and spill at 100 meters, the T20C2 or sc600?
Thanks!

I think GoingGear has YouTube video comparisons of both done in separate videos but with the same distance targets, if I recall correctly (GoingGear under member name goingprepared). The SC600 is not going to be as much of a thrower as the T20C2, but if you're talking about usefulness at less than 100 meters in terms of spill, the SC600 tends to be enough toward the floody side that you might favor it. But if you're looking for throw, my bet (without actually owning one) is that the T20C2 will win out. But what do you want, more concentrated throw or better floodiness/spill? I don't think one of those will win out in both categories.