ZebraLight SC600

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM51

Flashaholic
I have missed some of this discussion, so please forgive me if this has been mentioned before. My point concerns some 18650 cells apparently not fitting into the SC600. I have no first-hand experience, but it could be that the light was designed with unprotected cells in mind.

Unprotected cells are ~2mm shorter than protected ones, and (importantly) they are also thinner too, as they don't have the conducting strip running along the length of the cell. Unprotected cells are therefore more likely to fit; but the use of unprotected cells is NOT recommended for any application that doesn't have built-in low-voltage cut-off protection.

Valmet62

Newly Enlightened
Re: ZebraLight SC600 runtime with 3100 mAh battery ?

Can anyone that has better math skills than me tell me how much more runtime would you get using a 3100 mAh 18650 ? The measurements on the ZL sight uses a 2900 mAh battery.

Thanks
Valmet62

Harry999

Enlightened
I am thinking of getting the SC600 (while waiting for the Q50) and raised the question of whether the dealer I was planning on buying from could test the light to see if AW2600 and AW2900 cells fitted. He confirmed that this was the revised SC600 model which had no problem with either of the cells. I think ZL actually carried out the revision on the SC600 when they had feedback from customers in relation to the first run produced.

Last edited:

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
Just ordered one of these. I have a 2200 AW I can use to try it out, but of course I crave more capacity because it's out there. I'm really tempted by those Callie's Kustoms 3100 batteries. Anyone having luck with them fitting their SC600?[FONT=Zapf Chancery, Comic Sans MS, cursive]
[/FONT]

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: ZebraLight SC600 runtime with 3100 mAh battery ?

how much more runtime would you get using a 3100 (vs. a 2900) mAh 18650 ?
About 7% more, if the stated capacities are accurate.

Guys... I didn't mean my post #1523 above to restart a debate about which brands of 18650s fit and which don't. We'll just get bogged down if we start listing every cell, as there are literally hundreds of different ones. Please refer to the Batteries section for cell dimensions etc., or start a separate thread there.

Let's get back on topic with this one, please.

Edit: I just noticed - there is in fact a thread about it already in the Batteries section: Best Battery for Zebralight SC600

Last edited:

uknewbie

Banned
I have found that with a 2900 flat top AW if I have the light turned on and bump the tail end off my hand the light turns off.

Would suggest button top cells in all lights personally.

In fact I have tried this now with a Solarforce 2400mAh button top cell and it still does it!​

Turn on light to high, give a little gentle bump off your palm, tail side. Light just cuts off. Sigh.

Can someone else please try this with their SC600 and let me know if it does it?

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found that with a 2900 flat top AW if I have the light turned on and bump the tail end off my hand the light turns off.

In fact I have tried this now with a Solarforce 2400mAh button top cell and it still does it!​

Turn on light to high, give a little gentle bump off your palm, tail side. Light just cuts off. Sigh.

Can someone else please try this with their SC600 and let me know if it does it?

No, it doesn't on mine. Check your tailcap spring tension.
The very first batch came out, and some with the larger 18650 cells had a few fitment issues. This was reported back to George by means of this thread and no doubt other means, and he/the company followed up with the factory that does the manufacturing, and now as well as the slight increase in size, they seem to also test the internal dimensions (pushing a wooden stick of the right dimensions would do the trick, but I don't know their method... it doesn't matter...) and if the internal dimensions aren't within spec, they route them back to a station for internal honing: That is why some are reporting patches of the internal anodizing machined off.
That's my theory anyway. And since the first batch most are reporting that most 18650's, including most protected ones fit fine. I personally haven't yet found an 18650 that doesn't fit in my SC600.

uknewbie

Banned
No, it doesn't on mine. Check your tailcap spring tension.

Thanks for the suggestion. Spring seems fine although they clearly do not use springs with very good tension. Tried extending it but no joy. Have also noticed that the ano does not match now between bezel and the rest of the light.

Guess this will need returned, again. Sigh.

kwak

Enlightened

I would try for you but my AW 2900mAh's will not fit inside my SC600.

I do have some problems with my TK21 with bigger batteries, obviously not the same torch BUT with the TK21 when i use bigger cells the screw cap only JUST closes.
This gives a very intermittent connection that turns the light on or off when i bump it.

I'd also suspect that flat tops may have a problem making a good connection at the emitter end.

Do you have other cells you can try, preferably with a nipple on the end?

uknewbie

Banned
I would try for you but my AW 2900mAh's will not fit inside my SC600.

I do have some problems with my TK21 with bigger batteries, obviously not the same torch BUT with the TK21 when i use bigger cells the screw cap only JUST closes.
This gives a very intermittent connection that turns the light on or off when i bump it.

I'd also suspect that flat tops may have a problem making a good connection at the emitter end.

Do you have other cells you can try, preferably with a nipple on the end?

Yes have tried regular button top 2400 solarforce cells too, same problem.

timo54321

Newly Enlightened
I just got my SC600 today and it is by far my favorite flashlight. I'm running Callies Kustoms 3100 in it. I had to take the Callies sticker off to make it fit! :)

timo54321

Newly Enlightened
I do have one question on the operation of the SC600. Is the highest level of high only reached when you go through the six double clicks? I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly which brightness it is at.

BBL

Enlightened
I do have one question on the operation of the SC600. Is the highest level of high only reached when you go through the six double clicks? I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly which brightness it is at.

nope. The hightest mode (750lm) is one of the two 'high' modes, fixed. The other one is the one that can be changed between 200, 300 and 500 lm. I hope that helps.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it's set up right, one single click should take you to highest high. It remembers the last high mode you were in and goes straight there (except strobe)
Does this flowchart help, or just make it more confusing?
pcqxNK

or this video:

Status
Not open for further replies.