Zebralight SC600Fd III Plus - XHP50

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
After WEEKS of waiting, I FINALLY got my SC600Fd from Nkon. And it looks like those rumors of Nkon getting good tints are true. Mine is just about perfect - it easily puts my S41 to shame. It's about as close to pure white as you can get. And compared to the S41, it runs longer and cooler. And it certainly produces a better beam. In any case, it looks like I have a new favorite light. Here are a few pics from hiks I took with it just using my iPhone.

These pictures are all 'as shot' from my iPhone. They are not edited in any way.

Thanks for the pics:thumbsup:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
You must not have tried a warmer light then? You should try a "c" model ZL or something even warmer. 5000K is terrible for night adapted eyes compared to warmer colour temperatures. I agree on the smooth beam the frosted lens creates though. And, always appreciate ZL's very low sub lumen options for late at night.

I agree about preference for warmer CCT at low levels. Nearly all of my lights are 4500K or less and some are even less than 4000K. Keep in mind that since this Zebralight is current controlled, the CCT drops as the current is reduced. There is a very noticeable difference in the CCT of this light at the low levels vs. max levels. PWM lights don't have the CCT change much if any as the perceived output is changed.

What's surprising about this light is that I can actually discern some color at the sub-lumen levels, which is not something I'm used to. All my other sub-lumen lights appear more monochromatic to my dark adapted eyes. I know that our eyes are much less sensitive to color differences at low light levels but I can perceive a difference with this light. None of my Nichia hi CRI lights are capable of sub-lumen levels so I don't have the ability to make direct comparisons with those.

TCY

Enlightened
Do to the rather tight binning tolerances of the XHP50 used in this light the warmest it could be is about 4875K. Although, maukka's measured at 4634K so, maybe ZL is using emitters from more then one bin or that was just measuring equipment variances. There is no way it could be 4000K though because even the 4500K 3-step bin won't be any warmer then about 4375K.

My point was that my sample is warmer than the normal 5000K out there. Oh how I wish my Plus has a true 4000K emitter in it..:popcorn:

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, hopefully ZL will make a "c" version. The 4000K bin is also available in a 2-step which would mean even better tint consistency.
I'd certainly be in for one as well since ZL is definately not going to make a High CRI SC63c/d.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the ZL site says "not for sale."

Is there anywhere on the web that one can still purchase these?

Shoopmonster

Newly Enlightened
The light is currently available for backorder on ZL's site. I placed and order and it went through. No idea if it was an accident or for real.

fnj

Enlightened
As of one minute ago on the Zebralight site it was marked "back order", not "not for sale sale".

markr6

Flashaholic
As of one minute ago on the Zebralight site it was marked "back order"

I'm seeing backorder too. Maybe it's even better and improved this time around :) Personally I thought my original light was prefect. Just too floody for me.

jgmoosehunter

Newly Enlightened
I am brand new to this forum. I would appreciate advice on what exact battery set up and what charger you guys might recommend for this light. I have been lurking for a couple weeks now and I am absolutely fascinated by all the technology and wealth of knowledge I have read here so far. What an outstanding forum! In 2 weeks I have purchased a Thrunite TN4A Hi Neutral, and a Nitecore MH20GT XP-L, well because I just could not resist the impulse! Hanging around here could be some serious trouble. Help!

Thanks for any input!
JGmoosehunter

TCY

Enlightened
I am brand new to this forum. I would appreciate advice on what exact battery set up and what charger you guys might recommend for this light. I have been lurking for a couple weeks now and I am absolutely fascinated by all the technology and wealth of knowledge I have read here so far. What an outstanding forum! In 2 weeks I have purchased a Thrunite TN4A Hi Neutral, and a Nitecore MH20GT XP-L, well because I just could not resist the impulse! Hanging around here could be some serious trouble. Help!

Thanks for any input!
JGmoosehunter

:welcome:

For this light I use Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA, this is the battery Zebralight uses for runtime tests. there are other good options out there but general requirements are: unprotected battery, flat head with 65.0mm-65.2mm length and able to handle at least 8A current. If you read the ZL SC600 Fd III Plus issues thread you'll notice that OP uses 18650B for this light which does not meet the discharge requirements (and hence, more likely to cause problems if he uses that 1500lm mode.)

There is no "standard" charger set up. Lots of good chargers out there with different features and prices. http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/indexBatteriesAndChargers UK.html is a very good site to hunt for reviews: use the ctrl+F function wisely. I personally use a Xtar VC4 and have no complaints.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for any input!
JGmoosehunter

I have a variety of batteries that I use with this light. For instance, I have some of the recommended NCR18650GA. But I also have some NCR18650BD (earlier 3200mAH 10A cells), Samsung 35E, LG HG2 cells and Sony VTC6. So you are by no means wedded to the NCR18650GA. It's a solid recommendation. But any cell capable of providing the necessary current will do. As for chargers, there are LOTS of choices here as well. I have a few of the Xtar chargers, including the SV2, VC4, VC2 Plus Master, VP2, and MC1 Plus. These chargers all meet different needs, so you might want to look into each one (as well as other brands) to see which best meet your needs. I should also note tha Illumn has a pretty good sale going on right now on Xtar chargers, so maybe pick up a couple (or more).

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for any input!
JGmoosehunter

Zebralight sells the battery for this on thier sight as well. So just add a couple at check out. Simple.

jgmoosehunter

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all kindly for the welcome and replies! I am pumped to see this little rascal perform! This stuff is truly addicting. The wife already thinks I am a freak as I took the Thrunite to bed with me the first day i received it - (night stand only!). But.. she knew that well before she married me, so it's absolutely her fault!

jgmoose

tops2

Enlightened
Thank you all kindly for the welcome and replies! I am pumped to see this little rascal perform! This stuff is truly addicting. The wife already thinks I am a freak as I took the Thrunite to bed with me the first day i received it - (night stand only!). But.. she knew that well before she married me, so it's absolutely her fault!

jgmoose

Enjoy the ride! It's good to get to Zebralight early. If you end up loving it, it may save you money by reducing interest in other lights! But then you may end up with multiple Zebralights... :crackup::D;)

I know there's so many choices. So to simplify, the Sanyo GAs is a solid choice that many (including me) own. Even though I own the Nitecore D4, my most used li-ion charger is actually the Xtar ANT MC1 plus cause I keep it at work and charge/top off the battery and can keep an eye on it at work. The ANT MC1 plus has worked reliably for me. Illumn has a sale on this charger, and their price for the GAs is really good.

jgmoosehunter

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a small, powerful EDC unit, more of a floody work light than throw. I must admit after reading about the issues some are experiencing with the SC600Fd III XHP50, would a better "entry level" Zebralight for EDC maybe be the SC600wMk II 18650 XM-L2? Sacrifice a little size and lumens, but seems like this one USED to be everybody"s go-to, with very little issues. Thoughts?

jgmoose