Zebralight SC80

Danielsan

Enlightened
one advantage of it is that being reversible
Im not sure if you can reverse it, because if you want to reverse it you have to clip it in right under the head and maybe its to wide there but reversible clip is always nice.

That doesn't seem like a very logical assumption. In an AA user but keep many different types of cells around, and I don't I'm the only one.

Im an AA user and i moved away from CR123 and i dont own any CR123 flashlights anymore and also other devices in my household dont need CR123, its useless for me. Im sure many non flashaholics dont have Cr123 at home too. Like i said, for CR123 users its a great light because they have probably AA batteries at home, maybe for other devices. Nearly everybody has AAs at home. In germany most devices use AA or AAA, digi cams,navigation devices or cell phones etc.. use always special Li/ion packs. The last time i used a D-Cell was in the 80s for a maglite, same with a 9V block batterie, i bought the CR123 only for a flashlight but i dont own them anymore since they are a bit expensive, i switched comletely to AA or AAA. For me this sound very logical and im sure there are more ppl on this planet using AA or AAA then CR123. But like i said the new SC80 is fine as long they dont stop the others.

You can keep your long term lithium primaries in storage and just use AA but when you need them you can use the CR123s

I think there are AA lithiums as well but im not sure.
So in an emergency you are likely to still find CR123 cells in a pharmacy, supermarket or electrical store.

Ok, but why search for CR123 in an emergency situation?

and B) they come out with a newer product that is in the same niche as the one it replaces. The best example of this is the SC600 replacing the soon to be discontinued SC60.

Ok. lets hope they dont discontinue because you can discuss about it if the SC80 is in the same niche as the SC51,SC31. I mean SC600 is a much larger light compared to SC60 as well.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I respect your opinion, but I'll offer a different opinion. I think this is FANTASTIC! I would agree with you IF Zebralight didn't offer both 123 and AA sized lights (and quite a few of each), but since they do, this is an awesome idea. Imagine - you are traveling with only one light (the SC80) and the RCR is run to depletion and you have no way of charging it. Simple - any where in the world, you can pick up a common AA battery and be back in operation. I travel frequently, and typically carry an AA light and a 123 light for that very reason. Now I'd need carry only one. I think this is a fantastic idea, and I can't wait to show my support by purchasing a couple of them!

My thoughts exactly, but from the viewpoint of a hiker: campgrounds are always near small cities or villages, so CR123's are hard to come by when I'm on vacation. (Then again, I always travel with at least 5-6 flashlights and spare batteries, so maybe I should just shut up...)

Harry999

Enlightened
Hi Danielsan,

I am replying in bold below next to your quoted comments

I think there are AA lithiums as well but im not sure.

Yes there are - you can get Energiser L91s and I have plenty of them - they are a great primary cell!

With CR123 cells purchased online they are cheaper then Lithium AA Primaries. I last got 10 Titanium Innovations CR123 batteries for £10. It now costs £10 for four Lithium AAs. Obviously I purchase the Lithium AA cells when they are on offer.

I have plenty of CR123 cells which I store so that I can use them to power my Surefire E2D LED and LX2. It would be nice if they could also power my AA torch if I ran out of AA batteries - which is unlikely to happen given my hoarding instinct!

Ok, but why search for CR123 in an emergency situation?

I would not be searching for CR123. I am a sensible flashaholic so would have plenty of AA rechargeables and primaries at home - plus in the next month or so I will possibly be getting solar panels to charge the rechargeables. My point is that all other cell types might have been grabbed by people preparing for an emergency. In the UK I suspect CR123 cells would go after AA, AAA, C and D cells had been cleared from the shelves.

Of course given how many I have in stock I am unlikely to go searching but it is simply part of planning and preparedness to consider such options.

Why limit yourself?

Danielsan

Enlightened
Well, i would store some lithium AA at home for an emergency situation but i would never use them for every day, have eneloops for that. I think 4 cells are enough, can be stored until 2020. I think we declare emergency situation different, you mean something like the world ends :) For Armageddon i would definitely buy some of those dynamo lights. But i think most buyers of the SC51 or SC80 dont think that far i must say. I want to use only AA and that means the light can be made slimmer then a light that eats AA and CR123. Same counts for CR123 or CR2, i like the CR2 Quarks because they are so small, i dont want them bigger that i can use CR123 or AA as well.

Last edited:

Harry999

Enlightened
You know that is what makes this hobby so interesting. Everyone has their own ideas of what they want and the best thing is that a company like Zebralight makes what you want available. I understand what you mean about narrowness of the light. I definitely prefer my SC51c in my pocket than my Jetbeam RRT-0!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is beautiful. The knurling does add a new touch to Zebralight's design, but I just don't understand what is keeping Zebralight from producing the same clip system offered in the current SC31 or SC51 series. Would be waiting for it.

flame2000

Enlightened
I'm not so much into this one. The head is all smooth and the body/tail is all knurled. It looks like 2 different lights LEGO together. :(

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch! Owwie! Sorry!

Okay, back on topic...

This is one light I'm really looking forward to seeing... the perfectly cylindrical design is one I really like, and it should work great for mounting on my bike's handlebars or on my helmet. When the neutral version comes out, I'm gonna get two!

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the XPG outperform the XML at lower voltages? I seem to recall reading something somewhere that said it did, but I don't remember for sure.

H502 with XM-L

Output: 300lm

Length: 2.73

Diameter: .9

SC80 with XP-G

Output: 220lm

Length: 3.2

Diameter: .93

These specs clearly show the XM-L is a better emitter even though it is used in a smaller light -- a situation where it is not supposed to be better. I would really like to hear from Zebralight why they chose XP-G instead of XM-L.

stp

Newly Enlightened
H502 with XM-L
These specs clearly show the XM-L is a better emitter even though it is used in a smaller light -- a situation where it is not supposed to be better. I would really like to hear from Zebralight why they chose XP-G instead of XM-L.

The specs only show that XM-L emits more light ( if we assume that the driver is the same). But lumens are only one of a few parameters that tell you which led is better for specific usage scenario. Yes XM-L produces more lumens per watt but XP-G is able to throw further - apparently somebody at ZL decided that more throw with less lumens will be better for this light.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I like th e looks better then the SC50/51 it makes me happy.
Like Zeruel said, appearance means business and happiness!