American (USA) made flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have been exchanging emails from a SuperFire USA representative. He has been very polite and completely courteous in his replies. Here is our last communication..

"I wasn't suggesting you did anything wrong. I think you did a great job on the review.
In fact SuperFire is a Internationally recognized US brand, more popular in Europe perhaps, but still a US brand. It supports a staff entirely US citizens(about 1/20th the size of Surefire…But still an important number of families to me.
We don't comply with the Barry Amendment as most flashlight companies don't either, so some parts and products are made abroad.
When one of our lights is sold from abroad it is being sold illegally."

He then explains how Surefire and many other flashlight companies do business overseas, which I have intentionally deleted because its out of context for this thread. He continues here...

"We support the US families which work in the US in each detail of our business.
We humbly admire what Surefire has done and do nothing to defame them. We sell mostly to consumers and police here and in Europe, and to the British Royal Forces personnel as well as directly to the troops in Iraq, because we have friends there locally.

The SuperFire name and company is owned and controlled by us, but please do not blame us because we are too small to fight the endless fakes, replicas, knock-offs that are out there. We don't know where it all comes from, but we fight everyone we can afford to, to protect our name.
I am sorry if you felt I was criticizing you, but when you say you can buy our light for less than $10 online, you must understand that it hurts the real company and the American families that work hard and are supported buy it.
Enough American families have been hurt by what's going on in our economy.
That's why we and I myself especially, get just a little defensive.
Every light sold illegally is hurting the US company and its sales teams, assemblers, shipping personel..etc (and we don't hire Southern illegals…we hire Americans)
PS your review was great, and you do in-fact do a great job.
Sorry if I sounded in any way critical of you or your good work."

So In the end, at least they appear to be a small run USA based company, that outsources parts too. Unfortunately the brand name has been targeted by unauthorized copiers, and those products make up the majority of what we are familiar with. The individual I have cooresponded with seems very friendly, professional and courteous.

I don't know how much of all this is true or not, but still I hope others may find this useful.

Peace... out...:twothumbs

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ever notice how the tiny flame logo in Superfire lights is the exact same one used by Made-In-China Ultrafire.... Or how some Superfire lights look like clones of Made-In-China models sold by DX or KD. (And I mean lights shown on Superfire's own official site).

The company is as American as chopsticks.

Last edited:

Aluminous

Enlightened
Can someone confirm for me if SuperFire lights (the "real" ones) are in fact made in USA like the bigcowboy claims in my youtube video comments?

I've been following this thread and the 'Superfire mystery' posts... I thought I'd look into this, and here's what I've found from public records information. I don't claim conclusive knowledge of what this all means, but there are significant signs of a China connection, and I thought the results of this convoluted maze might be of interest.

The guy posts Superfire videos on Youtube as "TheBigCowboy": http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBigCowboy . The cowboy theme recurs elsewhere too.

"Superfire USA" has only had the superfireusa.com website since March 2008, which is also when the much-vaunted US trademark was registered.
Domain registration for SUPERFIREUSA.COM :
Contactprivacy [anonymous registration service]
Record expires on 03-Mar-2009.
Record created on 03-Mar-2008.

So superfireusa.com was registered with all of the identity/contact info intentionally hidden. I tend to view that as a reason to be more suspicious about a business, particularly when the impression they try to put out is that they are a "recognized" American business.

US Trademark Electronic Search System:
Word Mark: SUPERFIRE
Goods and Services: IC 011. US 013 021 023 031 034. G & S: Flashlights. FIRST USE: 20061100. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20061100
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code: (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number: 77411996
Filing Date: March 3, 2008
Current Filing Basis: 1A
Original Filing Basis: 1A
Owner: (APPLICANT) FullColors LLC CORPORATION NEVADA 90 West Apple Ln Glendale UTAH 84729
Attorney of Record: Brian Gibbons
Type of Mark: TRADEMARK
Register: PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator: LIVE

Okay, so the Superfire name has been being used since November 2006, and the trademark is owned by a business called "FullColors LLC" which was incorporated in Nevada, and they say their address is "90 West Apple Ln, Glendale, Utah 84729". Slight problem, though - USPS says that address doesn't exist, not even as undeliverable.

Then, I checked the registration info for www.prolightsuperstore.com , which is an alternate url for the same content as superfireusa.com . The product images towards the bottom of the superfireusa.com homepage (right under the "3300 LUX!" text) link to prolightsuperstore.com/products.html , instead of superfireusa.com/products.html , with the same content. Superfireusa.com also mentions "ProLightSuperStore.com" in the title of each page (except the homepage), and the 'Limited Lifetime Warranty' page (superfireusa.com/warranty.html) says "For Warranty and shipping info, contact us at [email protected]". (Other pages mention another email address, "[email protected]".) Also, the 'official seller' on Ebay is 'prolightsuper' ("We are The OFFICIAL SuperFire USA Factory Outlet! Don't Buy a Fake from Hong Kong/China - Buy from Superfire USA - SuperFire is a Registered US trademark").
Domain registration for PROLIGHTSUPERSTORE.COM :
DAVID WILSON
214 E. BRISBANE ST.
MONROVIA, CA 91016
US
thebuffalomen at yahoo.com
+1.6431363
Record expires on 16-Jul-2008.
Record created on 16-Jul-2007.

There we go, they didn't bother to hide the contact info on this one. Phone number is missing the area code, but this street address does actually exist.

Now let's look up the Nevada incorporation records for that company that owns the 'Superfire' trademark.
FULLCOLORS, LLC

Business Entity Information
File Date: 10/26/2005 4:45:26 PM
Type: Domestic Limited-Liability Company
Corp Number: E0729222005-5
Qualifying State: NV

Officers
Managing Member - DAVID A WILSON
Address 1: 214 EAST BRISBANE STREET
City: MONROVIA
State: CA
Zip Code: 91016

That matches up with the same contact info as the registrant of prolightsuperstore.com .

Searching for more info about "FullColors LLC" turned up a press release at www.prweb.com/releases/2006/2/prweb343824.htm , which says "FullColorsTM 5760 DPI Premium High Glossy Photo Paper and Professional Premium High Glossy Photo Papers are available for immediate delivery through www.overstockphotopaper.com. For more information, contact David Wilson, FullColorTM LLC Company Director, U.S. Sales & Marketing at (626) 643-1363." (There's the area code for that phone number.)

Related domains found:
Domain registration for OVERSTOCKPHOTOPAPER.COM :
DAVID WILSON, Apple Ln, Glendale, UT 84729, US
purchasing at fullcolors.com , +626.6431363
Record expires on 24-Jan-2009. Record created on 24-Jan-2005.

Domain registration for FULLCOLORS.COM :
Lilette Villareal, 1901 E. Amar Rd., West Covina, CA 91792, US
thebuffalomen at yahoo.com , +626.6431363
Record expires on 21-Jun-2008. Record created on 21-Jun-2003.

Domain registration for SIMPLYPHOTOPAPER.COM :
System Administrator, Apple Ln, Glendale, UT 84729, US
shoppinhaven at yahoo.com , +1.6266431364 [note: think this is a typo, should be '1363' like the others]
Record expires on 24-Nov-2009. Record created on 24-Nov-2004.

Domain registration for SHOPPINHAVEN.COM :
Dr Wilson, Brisb St., Monr, CA 91016, US
shoppinhaven at yahoo.com , +1.6266431363
Record expires on 30-Oct-2009. , Record created on 30-Oct-2001.

Domain registration for THEFLOWERHAVEN.COM :
Dr Wilson, Brisbane St., Monrovia, CA 91016, US
Record expires on 20-Apr-2009. Record created on 20-Apr-2002.

Domain registration for INKANDTONER.NET :
Dr Wilson, Brisb St., Monr, CA 91016, US
Record expires on 13-Dec-2011. Record created on 13-Dec-2002.

Domain registration for SCENIC-PHOTOS.NET :
Record expires on 27-Jul-2008. Record created on 27-Jul-2002.

Domain registration for SIMPLYPLANICONS.COM :
DAVID WILSON, 214 E. BRISBANE ST., MONROVIA, CA 91016, US
thebuffalomen at yahoo.com , +626.6431363
Record expires on 09-Jan-2009. Record created on 09-Jan-2005.

Domain registration for THESHOEHAVEN.COM :
Record expires on 05-May-2008. Record created on 05-May-2002.

FullColors is listed on global trade site tradekey.com/profile_view/uid/486595/FullColors-Tech-Corp-LTD.htm :
FullColors Tech Corp LTD

FullColors Technicorp LTD is your premier source for all of your Professional High Quality digital printing photo paper, Double Sided, Matte, Instant Dry, Micro-porous, And More. Offices are located in ShenZhen China and the USA. Because you buy factory direct, you will get the lowest prices and consistent high quality. We can supply you with up to 40 containers per month of packaged or bulk photo paper. We can design your private label, sell you photo paper in bulk, or you can buy our company brand label. Every glossy sheet is hand inspected for quality. Companies doing business with us may visit our manufacturing facility for pre-shipment inspections. We work for you! Why do business with wholesalers. Come buy Factory Direct and Save.

Year Established: 2003
Legal Representative / CEO: Mr. Wilson

Looks like their paper is manufactured in China by a company called Fantac.
From fantac.en.china.cn/op/SellInfoDetail/selinfid/1066756560/index.htm : (there are also similar listings on other trade sites such as cantonfair.org.cn)
Fantac Graph Design (Nanjing) Co., Ltd.
Biggest supplier of inkjet paper in China
fantac.com.cn

Fantac Graph Design (Nanjing) Co., Ltd. is solely Japanese invested company in China, established in 1994. It has been dedicating itself to the manufacture and market development in inkjet paper for more than 13 years. With a large-scale sales network both in China and the world, its products have been sold to Europe, North and South America, various Asian countries etc. The products have 5 series and more than 30 grades, including matte-coated paper, cast coated paper, resin-coated paper, proofing paper, individuality inkjet media in the size of A3, A4, A6, 3R etc for desktop printers and in the width of 24', 36", 42" etc for wide format printers. Neutrall package, FullColors and private labelled brand package can be supplied as per request of customers. Choose Fantac is choosing superior quality.

From Fantac's website: www.fantac.com.cn/fantacEn/about.asp
Fantac (China) Co. Ltd., a solely Japanese-invested company, was founded in the year 1994 in Nanjing.During the past years, the company has been devoting itself into R&D, market development and global trade of ink jet media. With advanced sales system and high efficiency selling channels, Fantac has created its own sales models and achieved remarkable results. "Fantac" and "Fullcolor" have become famous brands with very good reputation in the ink jet media in China. The competitive products of Fantac can be found all over the world.

With its continuous innovation of ink jet media products, Fantac has extensively introduced the ink jet printing technology into such industries as digital imaging, printing, OA system, advertising, medical imaging, costume-oriented CAD etc. Fantac also takes the leading role in the application of ink jet printing with various special and high-quality products. Fantac expects its ink jet-printing media products can take you into a fantastic digital world and memorize your colorful life.

So this indicates that David Wilson's "FullColors LLC" (company that owns the "Superfire" trademark in the US) is a distributor of China-manufactured paper.

David was actually in China for some period of time, during which he jointly ran a restaurant called "Cowboy's Coffee and Buffalo Grill" located in the Shenzhen area of China.
shenzhenparty.com/content/anybody_out_there%3F :
Submitted by The Cowboy on February 4, 2008:
Well, while your in Shenzhen, stop by my resturaunt...Cowboys Coffee & The Buffalo Grill. I'm from the US and wanted a real burger, steak sandwitch and real fries....not like MC d's, so A friend of mine started the business, and I designed the burgers and menu. ...
http://shenzhenbuzz.com/cowboys :
We are sad to report that Cowboy's is now closed permanently. ...
Email: [email protected] ...
has the ONLY veggie burger in Shenzhen! ...
Top it all off with a "howdy" from a real live American cowboy ...
i met david on the opening night of cowboy's ... he greeted me with a friendly "howdy" just like you said, and introduced me to his new place.
http://shenzhenbuzz.com/node/627 :
On April 13 [2008], the owners confirmed that Cowboy's was closed. ...
Happy trails, David and Toni, until we meet again.
shenzhenstuff.com/forum/topic/show?id=1343813%3ATopic%3A95729
shenzhenstuff.com/profiles/blog/show?id=1343813%3ABlogPost%3A140928

Now to return to superfireusa.com and prolightsuperstore.com, in the sourcecode of every page, this is what they use for the meta description and keywords: "SuperFire,UltraFire,Military Combat Lights, Tactical Weaponry, Tactical Lighting, Gun Light, Rifle Light"
And this is what they use as the title on the homepage:
"SuperFire And UltraFire. Your Source for Military Combat Lights (MCL's) Where Brightness Needs Are Extreeme!"
So by their own admission, they indeed are closely related to Ultrafire flashlights, which we know come from China.

From an April 2008 CPF thread at www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=195979 :
"Ultrafire" and "Superfire" are popular flavours of cheap CR123 flashlight at the moment. They're both actually the same flavour, really; the two names are printed on the exact same actual products
I tried to investigate this very matter less than a year ago and learned from a major flashlight retailer in Hong Kong that no less than six different manufacturers use the UltraFire name. One of them tried to claim that it was the first or legitimate and changed its name to TrustFire. I'm suspect that SmartFire is made in the same factories too. KD now lists a generic brand with all the same models.
And from a January 2008 CPF thread at www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=186661 :
Many UltraFire lights are also under the names of TrustFire, SmartFire and SuperFire.

So there are multiple Chinese factories copying each other, but the 'original' Superfire comes from one of the Chinese manufacturers too, it's just a matter of which one.

The manufacturer might be Shenzhen Zhangyang Technology Co Ltd. They manufacture lights offered as both Ultrafire and Superfire.
diytrade.com/china/4/manufacturers/489907/main/SHENZHEN_ZHANGYANG_TECHNOLOGY_CO_LTD.html
SHENZHEN ZHANGYANG TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.

Shenzhen Zhangyang Technology Co.,Ltd. is an experienced manufactory specializing in designing, manufacturing, and supplying wide range electronic products and mould, especially in Light area(LED Xenon Luxeon flashlight, LED keychain light, laser series, LIR batteries, charger and UV light). ...

http://www.shenzhen-wholesale.com/about.asp
Shenzhen Zhangyang Technology Co., Ltd ,founded in 2000 , and it is a leading manufacturer specializing in designing, producing and supplying wide range of the electronic products, promotional gifts, especially in Light area: LED /Xenon/ Luxeon flashlight, LED keychain light, laser series, LIR batteries, charger and UV light, We have our unique advantage, we have nearly seven years experiences in the field. ...

Example: http://www.shenzhen-wholesale.com/vpro.asp?id=20

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Wow, an incredible amount of research. I'd love to see their response to this! :D

Thanks for all of your work, Aluminous. :thumbsup:

KuoH

Newly Enlightened
Looks like the Wilsons are starting a family business at 90 West Apple Ln. Though there doesn't appear to be an Apple Ln in Glendale, yet, there is one in nearby Hurricane, UT. Coincidence?

http://www.kellysearch.com/us-company-317536739.html

And 214 E Brisbane St turns out, predictably enough, to be a residential address. Look it up on Google maps then turn on Street View. I'm guessing David drives the silver SUV and Missy drives one or both of the red cars.

KuoH

Okay, so the Superfire name has been being used since November 2006, and the trademark is owned by a business called "FullColors LLC" which was incorporated in Nevada, and they say their address is "90 West Apple Ln, Glendale, Utah 84729". Slight problem, though - USPS says that address doesn't exist, not even as undeliverable.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Great job, Aluminous! :thumbsup:

Excellent evidence to what I've suspected from the start.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is why this forum is one of my favorites... thanks!!!

**edit**
dam youtube, argh... not allowing me to post comments to my videos:scowl::scowl:, I want to post this URL and re-direct people.

Last edited:

american lockpicker

Enlightened

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Is the Gerber infinity ultra a USA made product? They have a version with less side-flood designed for military ops. I'm wondering if either it or its civy-cousin are USA made?

:popcorn:

artec540

Enlightened
FWIW, although Princeton Tec produces some products in the USA, a good portion of their production has been moved overseas - headlamps especially. This list is misleading if caveats like that are not noted.

Not sure if you missed a comma, but Arc and HDS (now called Ra Lights) are different companies, and have been for a while. Although Arc and HDS had a history of making lights together as Arc, that has long since passed. But both companies are US-made lights (Arc & HDS/Ra Lights).

I've noticed the same thing. Some of their lights now boast "Assembled in USA". :shrug:

:) john

EDIT: While some companies use "some" parts that are made overseas, perhaps we should ALL AGREE that the products listed here as "Made in USA" comply with the official definition set by the Federal Trade Commission here:

Fresnorich, I hope you can keep up this list! :thumbsup: It could serve as a valuable tool for people interested in buying US-made lights - however, accuracy is key, as well as updating to reflect any production changes a company previously listed as US-made may make.

Containing ".....no or negligible....." foreign parts is no more informative than "....all or virtually all...." made in the USA.

Either it's "all" or it's not; either it's "none" or it's not. Anything else is weasel-wording and can be construed to mean whatever the writer wants. If they want to define what they mean by "virtually all", such as " all except fasteners" or "all except electronic components", I suppose it would be an adequate definition, otherwise it's too subjective to be useful in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.