The key to obsessions....

wrathothebunny

Newly Enlightened
The thing about obsessions is knowing when to move on to the next one :) I'm almost there myself with this flashlight thing, though I suppose I'm looking for any excuse to stick around for just a little longer. I currently own 2 high-output flashlights: a SureFire "12P" (9P + A19 Extender) that I am running on 4 CR123a batteries and a LumensFactory 12V D26 ultra high-pressure bulb and I own a Fenix P3D CE as well. The SureFire outputs at least 210 torch lumens and has superb, and I mean superb beam characterstics ideally suited for a home defense environment - generously large and scorchingly bright hot spot and plenty of spill. I keep this for things that go bump in the night. My Fenix P3D CE is what I use for everything else - runs to the mailbox at night, hiking/camping, vacations, etc. With variable output levels, the highest of which reaches 160 lumens advertised (closer to 120-130 torch lumens), it truly is an ideal, compact, all-around performer with amazing runtime characteristics. The point of all this is, what more is there for me to do? I think it must be time for me to find another obsession.

List of current and past obsessions:
Computers
Cuttlery
CFL Lighting (full spectrum)
Various Tools
Multitools
Speakers
A/V Technology
Chocolate
Wine
Flashlights
...and the list goes on.

What do you guys think? Can I retire this flashlight thing or is there more that I can waste my time and money on here?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hmmm . . . .

Looks like you haven't yet tried Digital Photography.

The new Canon EOS 1D Mark3 should be shipping soon.

Promises to be a wonderful machine.

This should quickly show you how inexpensive your flashlight obsession was.

lolsign.gif

(or does "A/V Technology" include photography ?)

havand

Enlightened
It must be the type of people we are.

My list:

Cars
Photography
A/V ie stereo, tvs, speakers, etc
Computers
Flashlights (lighting to some extent)

It kind of depresses me to know eventually i'll get sick of lights and move on. But, i'll come back eventually. I always do. Photography and cars, i've found to be the most frustrating. Cars because they're so expensive. Getting better at driving is hard. Photography because quite often I feel like I can't improve my shots beyond a certain level. I have to say, I never expected flashlights to be as, ahem, expensive as they've ended up being. Really, I should only have 1 or 2 lights instead of the 15+ I currently have.

aml

Newly Enlightened
guns
RC cars
guns
Dirtbikes
guns
flashlights
guns
flashlights for guns.
etc, etc ad nauseum.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Hmm, what to add
- building electronics
- RC cars,
- RC Helicopters
- Flashlights
- RC helicopters
- Computers,
- wine
- WakeBoards
- Mtn Bikes
- Knowledge

havand

Enlightened
How can wine be a hobby? (I'm not picking on those of you that have this as a hobby...Only seeking to understand) I mean, i know people have those huge basements with perfect temperature and humidity control, but I guess I don't see the appeal. You can collect them...But you don't 'use' them, except for once. Then if it is a 'vintage' goodluck finding it again.

wrathothebunny

Newly Enlightened
Complexity of information combined with various modes of manipulation are prime breeding grounds for obsessions. With wine, for example, there is a wealth of information concerning how different grape varietals, winemaking techniques, geography, weather, cask aging, and bottling all affect the end product. Beyond that, there are many different variables one can manipulate to influence the wine drinking experience - which wine glasses to buy, different corkscrew, temperature regulation devices, etc. See, there's a whole lot of obsession potential for what some might consider glorified grape juice!

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
good choices! I got the exact same lights myself -- a Surefire 12PM was one of my very first purchases, and a Fenix L-1-2-D was my last, and I use them much the way you describe, so I know how you feel..

but wait there is more.. ;) what about a super long throw spotlight? HID meet bunny, bunny; HID... :)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Let's see here...this list is going to be pretty short:

o LEDs
o Flashlights
o Lasers
o Used up old insulators
o Computers
o Digimon
o Vintage JVC ghetto blasters
o Music (mostly listening to)

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not that obsessed with any thing in particular, although I am interested in a lot of these subjects, I'm more interested in getting information about them than making my own collection. Now if I could just figure out how to get rid of some of the stuff I've collected.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
- guns (my arsenal is bulging, and pretty much complete; though I could use a Sig P239 DAK .40 with kydex IWB holster :))
- knives and multitools (dozens, and I have really slowed down; but not stopped)
- flashlights (see link in sig line)
- books on CD (listen to in car and in the sleeping chamber; its the education I never received in HS and college.)

cheers

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
cars
watches
art
real estate
planes
boats
vacations
space travel
lint from other countries...

Endless hobby pursuits. :D

I'm not much for "collecting" now. Items acquired have to be usable without thought of beauty. Not to say to go bash the cosmetics up but due care and enjoyment for those things. Fortunately, most my interests have been stable so it has been mostly shifting form one to another in cycles. Custom knives, photography and car goodies.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm truly obsessed with only the simplest of things. Food, water, shelter and the little things that hold them all together. I've put quite a bit of thought into making sure my loved ones have those simple things and I've seen it work. They will continue to have them long after most around us don't if I have anything to do with it.

And like powernoodle, we also have audiobooks. :D

BVH

Flashaholic
I rarely stay with any hobby/obsession for more than 6-18 months. I've been "here" for 2 1/2 years and am just as excited about flashlights - all types - now as I was on my first day. I think I'll be here for quite some time.