Gods and Generals

Greta

Flashaholic
Has anyone seen this prequel to Gettysburg?

I saw it tonight. It is 3 hours and 45 minutes long. The story is very accurate historically! Jackson is portrayed perfectly! Robert Duval is an excellent General Lee. Jeff Daniels is, as always, an excellent actor. BUT!... they did a very shoddy job on this movie. I'm not one to pick apart cinematography or little things like that but this was so painfully BAD in places that it actually distracted from the movie itself. Very bad editing, in some parts extremely bad acting, using the same battle footage over and over... like I wouldn't notice the same wounded guy being dragged off the field? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ... There was so much potential with this movie and it could have been epic with a little more attention to detail. It's like it was just thrown together and the battle scenes were an after thought.

It's a shame really... it could have been VERY good!

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I had the X-men running in the background while I was researching tomorrow's stock picks [I forgot Gods and Generals was on]. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Dan

Greta

Flashaholic
Dan... it's in the theater right now. It better not be playing on TV as well!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I have a lot on my mind with the market and everything. My bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif Now that you mention it, I think I saw the trailer on it a couple of weeks ago. Looked pretty good at the time. Now, with this unfavorable review of your's, I'll have to reconcider seeing it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dan

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing it. Sounds like a rental now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Beemerphile... that was one of the really good things about this movie is that it did not focus on the whole "this is about slavery" thing. There was a part in it where Jeff Daniels (Col. Chamberlain) mentions the whole slavery issue and how it became such a big issue but not for the reasons that most have been taught in the history books.

This story was definately told from the Confederate... no, Virginian!... point of view. But both sides were presented and done very well. Like I said, it's a shame because the same exact movie with a little more attention to detail would have been awesome!!

One thing that bugged the hell out of me... and this is just me, I'm sure... but the actress who portrayed Jacskson's wife had a big toe for a thumb!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif And they kept showing close ups of her hands... over and over! Mind you, she is a very beautiful actress... but for God's sake, use stunt hands for the poor chick!!!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
[ QUOTE ]
One thing that bugged the hell out of me... and this is just me, I'm sure... but the actress who portrayed Jacskson's wife had a big toe for a thumb!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif And they kept showing close ups of her hands... over and over! Mind you, she is a very beautiful actress... but for God's sake, use stunt hands for the poor chick!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Now I have to go see it just for the big toe/thumb thing!