Li-Ion Charging

shuter

Enlightened
Is it an acceptable practice to charge a C Li-Ion battery with an Pila IBC charger using wires with magnets attached? Will the charger still charge at the same rate as if a smaller battery was placed in the cradle? Will the charger still cut off at the right value? (not overcharged or undercharged)?

How about if I used a seperate battery cradle for C & D batteries with wires going to the IBC charger?

DM51

Flashaholic
It is safe to charge a 'C' Li-Ion like that, although it isn't the ideal way.

The Pila IBC charges at 600 mA, and the 'C' Li-Ion has a capacity of 3,300 mAh, so if you do the math, you'll see that the charge will take >5 hours.

Cradle vs. magnet contacts will not make a lot of difference, although there may be less resistance in the circuit using the cradle.

shuter

Enlightened
DM51 - Well, that makes sense. I have been struggling with the dangers and vagaries of Li-Ion's and forgot about the charge rate basics. :ohgeez:

Here's my problem. I have been purchasing more and more lights that use Li-Ion batteries and have been acquireing quite a few Li-Ion chargers for them. I have an older Pila charger, updated that with an Ultrafire WF-139 and again upgraded to a Pila IBC and a Nano charger for the 10440's. Now I find the need for a charger that will charge C & D size Li-Ion's properly. As you just pointed out, the IBC is charging my C size Li-Ions at less than .2C! Not good. Is there a high quality simple to use charger like the IBC for charging C & D Li-Ion's? I clearly need something.

I went through a similar learning process and charger progression for charging NiMH batteries. I finally settled on a Maha CM-9000 that I love for AAA & AA cells and a Maha C-808M for the larger C & D cells.

DM51

Flashaholic
Depending on how serious you are as a flashoholic, you may decide to bite the bullet and buy a hobby charger, which will offer a variable charge rate, the facility to handle multiple cells, different chemistries, cell discharging, etc etc.

shuter

Enlightened
I'm interested in a "charging system" but I am a long way from being an electronics geek. I have looked from time to time, searching for chargers on this forum but end up reading multiple threads and hundreds of posts only to find myself more confused than before.

I thought the IBC would do the trick with external charging for the larger Li-Ion cells, but now see I can't reach the proper charge rate for the larger cells. :sigh:

If there such a thing as a "charging System" for charging all the Li-Ion's that you don't have to be an expert or electronics type to safely use? I would sure like to have one.

jerry i h

Enlightened
...If there such a thing as a "charging System" for charging all the Li-Ion's that you don't have to be an expert or electronics type to safely use? I would sure like to have one.
Ummm...Nope.
Let us know exactly what you are trying to power with batts. Odds are good that someone will have experience doing exactly what you are doing. The Achilles Heal of Li-ions is that solutions are not universal, but application specific.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on how serious you are as a flashoholic, you may decide to bite the bullet and buy a hobby charger, which will offer a variable charge rate, the facility to handle multiple cells, different chemistries, cell discharging, etc etc.

Yea, a hobby charger like the various Li-Po (RC Car, RC Helis, ect..) ones is the best choice since you can adjust the charge rate, current, and can set safety time, temp., and V limits.
Here is a picture of mine:
IMG_5647-1.jpg

Here is a picture of one I built for another member:
Charger-1.jpg

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least with my Pila, the charging contacts do not seem to be ferromagnetic, and thus magnets don't stick.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Not to hijack this thread, but I just purchased a 1D Mag P7 which takes 18650s or a Li-Ion D cell. My question is that I have both the WF-139 and the Pila IBC charger so can either of these chargers be made to charge AW Li-Ion D batteries?

Aircraft800. How much money is required for a charger like your picture above?

Thanks

shuter

Enlightened
At least with my Pila, the charging contacts do not seem to be ferromagnetic, and thus magnets don't stick.

I inserted the bare wire between the flexible negative tab on the charger and the battery case. The springy nature of the negative tab held it in place. On the positive wire I just put some solder on the wire until it was just large inough to push firmly into the threaded hole. The magnets are on the other end of the wires and connect to the battery. Just a temporary solution but it worked well enough to get the battery charged.

shuter

Enlightened
Not to hijack this thread, but I just purchased a 1D Mag P7 which takes 18650s or a Li-Ion D cell. My question is that I have both the WF-139 and the Pila IBC charger so can either of these chargers be made to charge AW Li-Ion D batteries?

Thanks

Good questions!

I am assuming that we can not make our WF-139's or Pila IBC's do the job properly for the large C & D cells. This leaves us both, and many others, looking for a solution.:thinking: I see many posts asking for help concerning charging Li-Ions. The IBC is commonly recommended, easy to use and near dumbproof for us newbees but only does the smaller batteries.

Is there a charger sililar to the Pila IBC that will charge the C & D Li-Ions?

If there is not, there are many members that would benefit from a clearly difined charging system. Some of you electronic wizzards out there surely could put your heads together and come up with a recommended system including a charger, cradles, power source, plugs and any other parts needed to assemble an easy to use, flexible charging system for the large variety of Li-Ions. We would need it to be a complete list of all parts needed with sources and prices.

Perhaps someone would be willing to assemble a complete system that would be capable of charging Li-Ions from 123's to D's and sell it to us electronically challenged types. I have been unable to find such a thing anywhere. Seems to me that many members would be interested. I would be grateful.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Shuter,

There are a variety of hobby chargers that will handle C and D Li-Ion cells without problems. To get you started looking, check out the Schulze line of chargers. Bantam is another brand to check out.

Tom

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks
The charger came from all-battery.com $120. The multi cell charger I gutted came from Fry's, but there are ones at Wal-Mart or Target stores that are the same, $15. Add some silicone Noodle wire and time, and you have a very save reliable charger for <$140.

You can find much cheaper chargers here and one to gut for a battery holder here

Just use this guide to convert/hook it up, it's from the Voltcraft Holder and LuxLuthor:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/160942

and from petrev:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161694

You could probably get something in the <$50 range, but safety first.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I have a KD Li-Ion D battery that I purchased from a member here that should be arriving this week and was wondering if I will be OK to charge it with my WF139 using wires and magnets to make the connections?
Thanks