SureFire E1E or another for edc?

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
Since my UltraFire C3 and AW 14500 grew legs and took off, my pocket is in withdrawal for a good edc.

I have been inpressed with a SureFire E2DL used daily for night work that works without fault for months now regardless of extreme temps, rough use. I mention this because the quality is demonstrated there and I want a reliable edc. The SureFire Executive Elite E1E seems to fit the bill but I wanted to ask whether there is another contender..

1. Price not really an issue for this small light
2. incandescent preferred
3. small in the pocket ie. shorter length
4. good runtime for incan-bulb preferred over higher lumens
5. lithium or NiMh or would be fine in AA or rcr123a's if possible
6. long warranty preferred
7. prefer single or high/low mode- no strobes
8. good clip or sheath may be needed.

What do you wish you had today?

cruisemissile

Enlightened
howdy,
well, I'm not sure about being able to recommend any incandescents, but here are my LED picks.
1) Surefire E1B- got two modes, great quality, compact, etc. last I checked, ombexpress.com had them for $99.
2) Lumapower Incendio Q5- It has 3 modes, but is very bright, very compact. I paid $49 for mine at batteryjunction and feel its alot of light for the dough.
3). Fenix P2D-CE- again, its an LED , but is bright,compact. At $53, I think its alot of light for the bucks.
then again, price not being your issue, you may get a few "high end" suggestions. best of luck.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
Thanks for your tip- I had not heard of the LumaPower model. Will check it out. You like the Fenix too? I have a P3D and it is useful and well made.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my E1e all the time. Its my tooling around the house light. I don't EDC mine but it definitely satisfies. Its a great camping light too. Perfect for those midnight snack and bathroom dashes. I got an Aussie Mini-Tower and KX1 for it also. But it mostly is used in it's stock form. A real under appreciated light IMHO.

It was my primary light when I vacationed in Peru last year. I ran it with the Aussie Mini-Tower. I like this setup as it is easily converted back to stock form out in the field. The KX1 is a great trail light. Bright but not bright enough to create alot of glare in most settings. And it has phenominal run time and has a decent amount of throw.

Get one!

kz1000s1

Enlightened
The E1e is a beautiful little light, but you're never going to get a long runtime. LED's would be better for that. For rechargeables with it, there are bulbs from Lumens Factory made for use with a RCR123 battery. I don't know if the 3V RCR123 of 3V LIfePo will work with the original bulb. Maybe an E1L model except rechargeables don't work well with it. That's why I sold mine.

You can use RCR123 batteries in you P3D and all modes will work. You also can in a P2D, but it will be on high all the time. The other modes won't work.

Except for the incan requirement, I think a Novatac would fit the rest of your wants. It has a strobe, but you can program that out. You can make it function any way you want. It's small (but fatter than an E1e), very tough, and quality is comparable to Surefire. And now you can can get an E or T model and hack it to make it a P, programmable model for less money.

Last edited:

piney12

Newly Enlightened
E1e is my favorite light platform. Just get a standard one and then lego it with the E1B or Outdoorsman heads as the need arises.

In addition, the Aussie minitower (koala makes these) is a must in my opinion. Gives a very compact light with tons of flood.:D

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1B, it has huge amounts of throw. 2 modes, plus it's tiny and can be worn bezel down or up.:eek:

Addionally; its just plain purtyyyyyyyyyyeeeee.:twothumbs

carrot

Flashaholic
Get the E1e, a 3.7v bulb for the E1e from LumensFactory, and a couple rechargeables. Total cost should be about $100 if you know where to look.

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
I've recently started using my E1e again. I purchased this thing over ten years ago and never really got used to the momentary tailcap with such a short body. I purchased a LumensFactory bulb, a Rcr123, and put the tailcap from my E1b and instantly fell in love with it. :thumbsup:
3198260156_edc006a2a9_o.gif

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Actually, I'm going to recommend the E1E. You already have a E2DL, the E1B is the same thing, smaller package and less lumens. With the E1E you have incan with the option of LF bulbs. Also you can use the E2DL head on the E1E body wth a RCR123, best of both worlds.

LumenMan

Enlightened
Using the E2DL head is a good idea. You could use the tailcap too. And the color would match if you can find a black E1e.

I don't mean to get off topic, but does anyone know what the runtime would be using a single 3.7v RCR123 battery with the E2DL head?

crocodilo

Enlightened
If you have an E2DL, I'd go for the E1L. Reverse form (single batt), reverse UI (low first, then high). Fantastic runtimes, beam is similar to the E2DL. One would complement the other very nicely. And don't be fooled by "just" 45 lumens. Those 45 are coming from SF TIR!

The E1B, fantastic as it is, is too similar to the E2DL.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
Would a neutral white LED do?(more incan like then the cool white LEDs)

If yes then check out the Dereelight C2H(look at the 5A Q3 pills at the bottom).

Gunner12,

Although I love led lights, it does not illuminate browns well, and will not penetrate fog and smoke as well as incans. This is important to me as bears, wolves, and to some extent coyotes can be a problem at work and hunting. Ideally, leds and incans are both brought to the fore and employed as required.

I have a CL1H and love it. I keep changing the reflector back and forth, trying to find which one is more useful. I would say I would give up some distance for a better flood at distance..