I want/need a SF Centurion C3, what Lion cells will work best?

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

I've been wanting a Surefire C3 for quite some time, but several reasons prevented me from actually buying one. One of them is that one can not buy a SF from a US-based retailer and have it sent to Belgium. And over here Surefires are €€€! (I feel foolish paying so much while this flashlight is a lot cheaper in the US)

But, I guess love has no price and I am about to get my C3.

I intend to use it on 2 Lion cells and, for this, I need some advise as I do not know what cells will actually fit in it's body.
I would hate to order 17500 cells only to find out that they do not fit.
Is it a safer option to order 14500 cells?

What runtimes can be expected with P90 and P91 lamps? Will a 14500 discharge too fast (>2C) with a P91?

Thanks for any insight and advise.
Kind regards,

Joris

PS: aside from HAIII, are the Z3 and 9P the same quality as the C3??

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
A stock C3/9P will run off two 17500's very nicely. I have been using them for years. They power the P90 lamp just fine but not the P91.

Search CPF and you will find many posts about the use of 17500's in a C3 or 9P and charger recommendations.

I recommend two of the protected AW 17500's.

Another suggestion:
If you don't mind buying your C3 in pieces, you may have an option to buy a bored C3 from ElectronGuru. See this post. He is going to have a few C3's in his current upcoming batch of bored bodies. You could also then pick the bezel and tailcap you want. I believe he ships outside the US.

You would then be able to use two 18500's and be able to power the P91. It will also use 3 123's as well.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
18500's are great in a bored body but if you're staying stock it's the 17500's.

The 18500's give plenty more runtime though. :D Follow the above link! THe C3/Z3/9P are all basically the same. The 9P is one of my favorite Surefires to have bored.

22hornet

Enlightened
Thanks for your replies :thumbsup:

So I guess that when using 14500 I will have to stick with P90 lamps.
Do the 17500 cells happen to fit in any C3/9P body?

kind regards,
Joris

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
The 14500's will wear out quite quickly with the load of a P90 on them, think in terms of maybe less than 20 charge cycles. You will only get about 30 minutes of runtime also.

I would use 17500's as an absolute minimum, and if possibly get a bored body and run 18500's.

You will love the size/power of these lights, it is one of my favourites. Nice size (not too big) and there are loads of different powered lamps available.

Cheers,
Nova

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately AW does not make any IMR17500 cells, so in their place I have to recommend the P17500's, they've always worked well for me. They won't run a P91 safely though. A Lumens Factory EO-9 is on the edge, but it should fire up with one click, though I don't like to run that either on anything smaller than 18500's.. The Lumens Factory HO-9 and the Surefire P90 are the two best D26 sized lamps for the P17500's.

Sometimes I use two IMR16340's and a CR123A dummy cell to run my EO-9 or P91's in a C3.

You could also try three of the IMR16340's with one of DX's 12-14V lamps, I have not tried this myself, so I couldn't tell you which ones would have a good result. Or an led drop-in that is regulated to take the voltage of three Li-ions.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
LOL
Just drop by the sales thread and pick up a bored 9P and the 18500's. Anything else will limit you just enough to aggravate you and you'll always think about what you could be running or how long you could be running it.

Save yourself money in the long run now because eventually you'll buy it anyway.