Polaroid Film and Airports

tolkaze

Enlightened
Hi, first time posting in the Dark Room, I did a search, and didn't come up with anything.

I ran into a supply of polaroid 600 film, which I plan to take to Fiji. I just really like polaroid film, the feel and look of it, and Fiji should be a fun place to shoot off a couple of boxes.

Anyways, I have heard of x-ray machines destroying film. What options do I have to get the film there and back without it being destroyed. I thought about hand inspection at security, but if I can't do that, i will be destroying several boxes of film. Also, would I have to do the same after they have been exposed?

Lost Hawaiian

Newly Enlightened
Hi tolkaze,

I understand liking the "feel" of a specific film. I always leaned towards AgfaPan100 and Fuji Velvia myself. But to address your concerns...

Here's what I know:

I've taken many a roll of film through airport machines and I have never seen any fogging with either fresh or exposed film up to and including Kodak 3200asa B&W (35mm & 120).

Here's what I've read:

This is an urban myth with a base of truth. Yes, X-rays can fog film, but it would have to be much stronger than what you run into at the airport. I did read a test years ago by a noted photographer who ran rolls of film ranging in speed through a machine 100 times. He did report a slight effect on very high speed films, but his conclusion was that for a normal traveller going through a few times would be a non-issue. Now this was done well before 9/11, so I don't know if anything's changed with X-ray technology since. I also know you used to be able to buy protective bags to put your film in. They always seemed like a "gimmick" to me and these days I don't know what the TSA would think of a lead-lined bag in your carry-on...lol

Here's what I think:

I don't know if Polaroid film would be any different. You are talking about Instamatic sheets, right? I would think once it's been used, the image would be fixed and there wouldn't be any worries, but unexposed...? If you're just talking 600 speed roll film, I wouldn't think twice.

My conclusion?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it...I'd pack it along, enjoy the trip and take a backup digital camera. :)

YMMV,

Rich

marokero

Newly Enlightened
In 2008 I had my wedding in Brazil and I brought ten packs of 600 polaroid film in my carry-on bag - no fogging. Enjoy your trip!

tolkaze

Enlightened
Awesome.
Yes, i was talking about the instant film, but I also carry some rolls of film with me for when I wanna experiment with my old filmy. Have used Fuji Superia-Reala 100, and Neopan 400 before for different shooters. Mostly just using whatever I can get hold of these days.

Mostly happy with my digi though, so on the trip, will be the Polaroid, and the 400D, and maybe just a little pocket shooter for everything else.

Good news about the no fogging too, was just worried about slabs of undeveloped high speed film going through x-ray... either way, could be an interesting story. Will let you know how it pans out

bstrickler

Enlightened
How long before you leave? If its going to be 2 weeks or more, I will be able to report to you about some 400 speed film I just flew with (going home in a week).

I was told by someone from TSA that the X-ray machines are okay with film now, and that someone had run some 3200 ASA film through the x-ray machines, without problem.

~Brian

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a difference between the X-Ray machine used to scan carry on luggage and the one used for checked in luggage. Checked in luggage gets a higher dose of X-Rays.

Mike V

Enlightened
Depends on the machine.

Some use an additional high intensity scan (kind of like a CAT scan) as well as X-Rays.

For example InVision CTX-5000 series machines or L-3 Communications Examiner 3dx series machines will destroy your film in a single pass.

Usually these machines are only used for check-in baggage, but I have seen them being used for carry on e.g. I've seen one at LAX and I've seen them in Japan.