Surefire G2L & Drop-in Heat Issues

Z

z_HD80

Hello, this is my first post to CPF and my first *real* flashlight. I have read several threads on drop-ins for the Surefire G2L and am concerned about ruining the drop-in LED if I were to run the light for extended periods (1-2 hours) due to heat. I found many responses about the old school non-aluminum bezeled G2's, but nothing solid on the G2L with the supposed better heat sinking.

I was going to buy a BOG Cree Q5 drop in for my new light, but my question was whether the new aluminum bezels that come with the SF G2L's these days would eliminate any worry of burning out my aftermarket drop-in LED or should I still only run it in bursts? Also, how long of a burst would I be able to safely run the light if that is the case? Lastly, wouldn't the BOG Q5 (BOG-DIM) just self-regulate to keep it from burning out? So could I just turn it on and let the light do its thing and not worry about burning out the LED?

Sorry if this sounds amateur, but I am still trying to learn about all of these things.

Thanks,

HD80