Foxfury Scout
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 135

Thread: Post your Nichia 219 4500k beamshots

  1. #1

    Default Post your Nichia 219 4500k beamshots

    I haven't been this excited about an led in quite some time. The thought of having an led that is around cct 4500k, good color rendition, and very similar characteristically and physically as an XP-G, the imagination goes wild. Hi-cri at 1.4A, triple, quad hi-cri dropins, malkoffs, etc. the imagination and expectations go wild!

    Or so that's the hope.

    With the Nichia 219 made available to us led lovers, all of these things could possibly come true. However, we haven't seen any beamshots or output from this led. So in anticipation of the eventual pics and posts, I'll start this thread by requesting any pics of this led that you guys have. Beamshots, white wall, comparisons to hi-cri xpg, nichia 119, led swaps, etc would be awesome.

    Who will be the first to post a quad nichia 219 p60 drop-in driven at 5.6A?
    Last edited by badtziscool; 04-16-2012 at 11:09 PM.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

  2. #2

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    ...a quad nichia 219 p60 drop-in driven at 5.6A
    AKA: The Sun

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* S1LVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    734

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    My nichia 219 is warm tinted and freakin awesome.

    Compared to the famous McGizmo nichia 119...






    These were taken with my Droid but the colors are near perfect to what my eye sees.

    S1LVA


    ***
    Forgot to mention... The brightness is about the same on both lights on all 3 levels. Despite the fact that the 219 is A LOT warmer, it keeps up with the brightness of the cooler tint 119. I'd like to see the numbers from the both of these in a sphere! It would be more accurate than a ceiling bounce...
    Last edited by S1LVA; 04-16-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    I used to be afraid of the dark. Now, the dark is afraid of me.


  4. #4
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    905

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    I agree, the most exciting LED available for some time. What optics are good for these?
    Kind Regards

    David

  5. #5
    Flashaholic diesel79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Looks great. I was thinking of having my HDS 120e modded with one of the nichias.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* yifu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    713

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Malkoff is making some M61 and M30 variants with this LED, look it up over at the dealer's corner at the MP. I might get one of those.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Well considering how impossible it is for mere mortals to get their hands on these, I'm happy enough that I can get a high CRI XP-G from people who support this site. I do wonder what Nichia's thinking is, they don't seem to advertise, promote, or do anything to take away marketshare currently dominated by Cree. They have these innovative ideas and good technology, but I haven't even seen any consumer products that even use their stuff. At most I only see a few very expensive specialty lights, nothing commercial, and certainly nothing affordable.

  8. #8
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,064

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyydude View Post
    Well considering how impossible it is for mere mortals to get their hands on these
    Not any more...

    The original group buy
    More!
    Malkoffs!
    Finning does help dissipate heat. This is why the fins are removed before cooking fish. Otherwise it will throw off the heat and not reach the proper cooking temperature. --Duglite

  9. #9

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    The tint seems pretty warm to be the claimed cct 4500k. Is it just me or maybe the camera? Or is the Nichia 119 just that much cooler? I've seen pics of the 119 comparison to a neutral xpg and the cct were almost the same.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* csshih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Illumination Supply
    Posts
    3,918

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    here is a quick pic of the nichia vs the cree high cri (90+) 3000K.



    the nichia is mounted on a cpu heatsink and is using a carclo flood optic, and the cree is in a malkoff m61 dropin.
    color balanced to my eyes.. these nichia emitters are wonderful.

    Craig

  11. #11
    Flashaholic* chaoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    sunny southwest
    Posts
    614

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Meh, too warm for my tint snobbery taste.
    I am having a couple of my mint McLux III PD's modded with these and if they are this warm i will immediately sell them.
    To me, NOTHING currently available even comes close to the perfection of Don's 119's.
    Thanks for posting those pics S1LVA.
    Happiness is having a high rate of fire .

  12. #12
    Flashaholic* csshih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Illumination Supply
    Posts
    3,918

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    wait, which 219s are we talking about? mine are the NVSL219AT-H1 which are 4500K 92 CRI.
    Saying 219 is like saying Cree XP-G. there are a lot of tints and bins.

    Craig

  13. #13
    Flashaholic* CarpentryHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,828

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    4500k Nichia is perfect in my eyes thanks for making these available


    Kendall
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

  14. #14

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post
    wait, which 219s are we talking about? mine are the NVSL219AT-H1 which are 4500K 92 CRI.
    Saying 219 is like saying Cree XP-G. there are a lot of tints and bins.

    Craig
    Thanks Craig. I edited the title to more closely specify what emitters I was talking about. I definitely was talking about the Nichia 219 4500k 92 cri that was part of a group buy that arek98 started a group buy for and also available on Illumination Supply. Your store front I believe

    Yeah. That tint is more like what I was expecting. From what I read somewhere, the range of emitted light is a bit wider than an XPG so I guess it's safe to say that whatever we put this emitter in, the beam pattern will be wider than an XPG's?
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

  15. #15
    Flashaholic* csshih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Illumination Supply
    Posts
    3,918

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Cree says the viewing angle of the XP-G is 125 deg, and Nichia's 219 is 120 deg.

    From the datasheets:

    Cree XP-G


    Nichia 219


    well, the graphs aren't easy to compare, so I eyeballed and whipped this up:



    the 219 is narrower (except for that splotch of light on the fringes) than the XP-G according to data. However, since the emitter base is thinner they will not focus as well in XP-G reflectors, so we're seeing them be floodier.

    I hope I got the data right

    Craig

    edit: ah, yes, more beamshots.



    posting this before I trip on a wire and blow my room's circuit breaker.

  16. #16
    *Flashaholic* Sgt. LED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, Ohio
    Posts
    7,486

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    I will be ordering at least one.
    Any special run Malkoff gets the nod from Sgt.

    I will start with the 219 LLL and decide if I want to buy the entire 219 line.
    I may swap out all my M61's for them
    Last edited by Sgt. LED; 04-17-2012 at 09:29 AM.

  17. #17
    Flashaholic* yifu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    713

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Looks like vinhnyugen's making P60 drop ins with the 92 cri 219 LED as well, at half the price of the malkoffs.

  18. #18
    *Flashaholic* wquiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas, USA, Earth
    Posts
    8,414

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Quote Originally Posted by yifu View Post
    Looks like vinhnyugen's making P60 drop ins with the 92 cri 219 LED as well, at half the price of the malkoffs.
    Where?
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

  19. #19
    Flashaholic* yifu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    713

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Where?
    Here! http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ER-SALE-THREAD It's just over at the custom B/S/T.

  20. #20
    *Flashaholic* wquiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas, USA, Earth
    Posts
    8,414

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Ahh, thanks

    Will
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

  21. #21
    Flashaholic* ^Gurthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Maine, deep in the Darkness of the North
    Posts
    1,066

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Anyone got a LF HiCRI XPG drop-in? Love to see a comparison between it & the 219. I'm waiting for my order from Craig so I can build several 219 P60 mules [hint hint Craig!]
    ^G When I reply, threads die....

  22. #22
    Flashaholic* CarpentryHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,828

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Love the Mules, wish I had more than the one
    HDS hi cri is the warmer one in this pic


    The McGismo Mule is really a beauty for tint



    Looking forward to seeing what this emitter can do for my Surefire's that are currently not in rotation.
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

  23. #23

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. LED View Post
    I will be ordering at least one.
    Any special run Malkoff gets the nod from Sgt.

    I will start with the 219 LLL and decide if I want to buy the entire 219 line.
    I may swap out all my M61's for them
    I've gone for the M31 and M31L at the moment but once I have them and if they are as good as as my initial impression of them is then I will be contacting Craig to get the M61 219 and possible the other versions as well for my Surefires.

    I've also asked Vinh to build me a Solarforce host around this led based around the 18650 cell and a second Solarforce host based around the 2xAA battery format - I love the idea of a three mode 2xAA emergency light with a Nichia 219 led.

  24. #24
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    905

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    An amazing difference seems apparent between beamshots in posts #3, #10 and #22- the Nichia 219 looks dramatically warmer than the 119 (surprising), but much LESS warm than the Hi-CRI XP-G (less surprising). So the119 must make the Hi-CRI XP-G look very very yellow/orange indeed.
    EDIT: I was wrong, a sample of Don's 119s were measured at about 5000CCT (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...gh-CRI-119-LED) so maybe they are from a different bin...
    Last edited by ICUDoc; 04-17-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Kind Regards

    David

  25. #25
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    333

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Quote Originally Posted by ICUDoc View Post
    An amazing difference seems apparent between beamshots in posts #3, #10 and #22- the Nichia 219 looks dramatically warmer than the 119 (surprising), but much LESS warm than the Hi-CRI XP-G (less surprising). So the119 must make the Hi-CRI XP-G look very very yellow/orange indeed.
    EDIT: I was wrong, a sample of Don's 119s were measured at about 5000CCT (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...gh-CRI-119-LED) so maybe they are from a different bin...
    Hmm, post #22 shows only HDS hi CRI and Mule, no 219 4500K there.
    Post #3 has warm tinted 219 (may be as low as 3000K) and McGizmo (presumably 4500k)
    Post #10, Nichia 219 4500K is the “white” one in the picture.
    I don’t think you can get 119 in 5500K. I believe Nichia high CRI go only up to 4500K, but I may be wrong.

  26. #26
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,064

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Don's label says his are sw45, but given the size of Nichia's tint bins (500K increments), I think it's quite possible that he got LEDs on the higher side of that, so around 5000K sounds believable. 5500K, less so.
    Last edited by Th232; 04-17-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    Finning does help dissipate heat. This is why the fins are removed before cooking fish. Otherwise it will throw off the heat and not reach the proper cooking temperature. --Duglite

  27. #27
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    905

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Quote Originally Posted by arek98 View Post
    Hmm, post #22 shows only HDS hi CRI and Mule, no 219 4500K there.
    Post #3 has warm tinted 219 (may be as low as 3000K) and McGizmo (presumably 4500k)
    Post #10, Nichia 219 4500K is the “white” one in the picture.
    I don’t think you can get 119 in 5500K. I believe Nichia high CRI go only up to 4500K, but I may be wrong.
    Thanks arek98- I was wrong(-er!) again! So in fact, whilst the thread is titled "post your 419 4500K beamshots", most of them aren't! My bad...
    Kind Regards

    David

  28. #28

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    This beamshot thread has a disturbing lack of beamshots!

    Click this picture to watch me mod my beloved D10 Tribute with a Nichia 219:


    Or if you're just here for the results:

    D10 Cool White -- D10 219 -- Haiku 119 -- Cree 85CRI XPG


    Control shot (flourescent lighting)


    Cool White D10


    85CRI Cree XP-G


    Haiku HCRI Nichia 119


    D10 HCRI Nichia 219

  29. #29
    Flashaholic* Derek Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    1,955

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Okie dokie, I was fortunate to have one of the new Nichia NVSL 219 HiCRI LEDs (from the recent group buy) put into my NovaTac 120P. Up till now I've been using filters from the Lee Filter Swatch Book to get the tint right on my lights, but I thought it was time to see what all the hubbub was about with these HiCRI LEDs, and with a color temp of 4500K I felt these might have a chance of meeting my picky standards.

    All photos shot with my Canon G10 in manual mode with the color balance locked to DAYLIGHT.











    It's important to note that these we all shot with the NovaTac 120P on MAX output. I've noticed that at lower levels there is a bit of a yellow/green tint, not horrible by any means, but I tend to like a bit more of a rosy tint, and since I rarely use max output I've got a feeling I'm going to end up using a slight magenta filter to clean up the tint at lower levels and live with a slightly pink tint when using full output.

    In any case, I'm happy to see manufacturers stepping up to the plate and beginning to provide high quality LEDs. It's a big step in the right direction.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post
    Okie dokie, I was fortunate to have one of the new Nichia NVSL 219 HiCRI LEDs (from the recent group buy) put into my NovaTac 120P. Up till now I've been using filters from the Lee Filter Swatch Book to get the tint right on my lights, but I thought it was time to see what all the hubbub was about with these HiCRI LEDs, and with a color temp of 4500K I felt these might have a chance of meeting my picky standards.

    All photos shot with my Canon G10 in manual mode with the color balance locked to DAYLIGHT.











    It's important to note that these we all shot with the NovaTac 120P on MAX output. I've noticed that at lower levels there is a bit of a yellow/green tint, not horrible by any means, but I tend to like a bit more of a rosy tint, and since I rarely use max output I've got a feeling I'm going to end up using a slight magenta filter to clean up the tint at lower levels and live with a slightly pink tint when using full output.

    In any case, I'm happy to see manufacturers stepping up to the plate and beginning to provide high quality LEDs. It's a big step in the right direction.
    I was really anxious to try one of these in a Vinhnyugen drop in however the poor tint at levels I'd actually use (low and medium) and the absense of reflectors designed to focus the throw of these emitters due to the narrow boards kind of ruins it for me. It's too bad because these should throw better than XP-G and give daylight-like reflections.

    More for you guys!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •