What would be a good light to put on my dog leash for night walking?

Jezo

Newly Enlightened
Right now I have a couple inch garbage light I got for free at some conference.

The size is nice and it uses standard AAA batteries but I want to replace it with something better. The light is falling apart and I need to shake it often to get it to work. It also has a dozen LEDs in there and it doesn't shine anywhere past the ground where the dog is walking.
What's a good replacement?

Should be small as it will be attached to one of those dog leashes that have a rolled up cord inside, the kind where it has the button and the leash can go out and come back in depending on where the dog is, have the ability to hang a strap on it so I can wrap it around the dog leash, and use standard batteries, AA or AAA. The light it shines is important but I don't need it to light up a city block, just the dark areas I am walking the dog in. The one I have now does about 2 feet.

Budget < $50

I own a Fenix LD50 so now I am spoiled by what a real light can do.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally like low lumen lights for walking my dog... a 1xAA Quark from 4Sevens or SC or H 51 from Zebralight. They'll run up to 100-200 lumens, but I like moonlight and a low single digit level for utter discreetness when my dog chooses to go on a neighbors lawn.

The Quarks are on sale due the rebranding at various dealers around the low to mid 40s

Danielight

Enlightened
I personally like low lumen lights for walking my dog... a 1xAA Quark from 4Sevens or SC or H 51 from Zebralight. They'll run up to 100-200 lumens, but I like moonlight and a low single digit level for utter discreetness when my dog chooses to go on a neighbors lawn.

The Quarks are on sale due the rebranding at various dealers around the low to mid 40s
Be careful reppans ... if your neighbors decide to do DNA testing, you're busted! :oops:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jezo,

How are you going to attach the light to the leash? I've used both a retractable and standard leash and I prefer just holding the light in my hand as it's steadier and I can spot "critters" easier. In fact I use two lights, one to light my way and one for critters. I will recommend a multi-mode light as I find low useful for paths but medium / high necessary for critters. I also carry baggies so my dog doesn't leave "landmines" for the neighbors [hint for Reppans].

mojospapi

Newly Enlightened
I usually carry the 3D LED Mag. Great throw and has enough heft to club any critters we may come across.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jezo

Newly Enlightened
Jezo,

How are you going to attach the light to the leash?

With the one I have now I have the lanyard wrapped around the handle then tucked back over the light itself. The way you would have a cellphone strap attached. I want it attached because if I didn't we would forget to grab it, now it's just take the leash and the light is always there.

About the Quark sale mentioned, what's the rebranding that's going on?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the Quark sale mentioned, what's the rebranding that's going on?

They are changing their logo and website from 4Sevens to FourSevens.. all product with the old logos are being sold off, some overstocked stuff at 40% off (w/ forum discounts). The Quark AA^2 X, regular and tactical, still seem to have a lot of availability... with the 1xAA tube - its my favorite.

Jezo

Newly Enlightened
They are changing their logo and website from 4Sevens to FourSevens.. all product with the old logos are being sold off, some overstocked stuff at 40% off (w/ forum discounts). The Quark AA^2 X, regular and tactical, still seem to have a lot of availability... with the 1xAA tube - its my favorite.

Cool, that sounds like it would work great for my needs. What's the difference between the regular and tactical?

Where should I buy them from to get the overstock/forum discount?

rambo180

Enlightened
I usually carry the 3D LED Mag. Great throw and has enough heft to club any critters we may come across.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

when people talk about critters on these forums, in general, are they referring to animals like bears/dogs/rats/squirrels etc or are they referring to somewhat undesirable people in which the flashlight may need to be used in a way which isn't family friendly to be mentioned?

cheers