Why no single AA Surefire?

MatthewSB

Enlightened
Looking at the Surefire Outdoorsman E2L-AA, I'm curious if there's a simple reason that there is not a single AA version? Would a single AA battery not provide enough power to attract customers?

The E2L-AA is ridiculously long, a single AA version would be just big enough to get a good grip on, long enough to not loose it easily, but small enough to pocket carry...

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is that they have several 3V offerings, so it was just easier to build a 2xAA body instead of changing the drivers and LEDs to accommodate a 1.5v battery.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Malkoff Devices MDC AA. Similar features and build quality as the Surefire (although reflectored) and available in several options of modes and tints.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect it's for performance reasons. A CR123 light will perform better than a single AA (brighter; longer run time), and they're roughly the same size.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also think that the AA market is more for the mass, which Surefire isn't. They tried with their Icon line but it didn't seems like a success.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect it's for performance reasons. A CR123 light will perform better than a single AA (brighter; longer run time), and they're roughly the same size.

Then again, 1xAA is definitely catching up. There is, of course, the well-known Zebralight SC52. And I just recently got an Armytek Tiara A1. I was literally stunned to see what kind of output that light has, even compared to the SC52. That light has to be getting around 350 lumens, and producing it for some time with fairly flat regulation. This may not be as much as some 1xCR123a lights. But it's getting close. And I know I would rather have 350 lumens on NiMH than 500 on CR123a (especially if it has to be a primary), especially if I can get more with a 14500.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at it this way: whatever tricks manufacturers are using to help AA "catch up" can be utilized by CR123 to leap ahead.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although it would upset not a small number of cpf'ers if sf ever made a 1xAA (as you can see), that would be so awesome to us masses & joe six packs, myself to the extent that it might motivate me to try surefire again after having sold every one of the over half dozen of theirs i've tried over the years.

Do it for the masses!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at it this way: whatever tricks manufacturers are using to help AA "catch up" can be utilized by CR123 to leap ahead.

CRAAs are available and on par with CR123s, 14500s have more capacity than 16340s - I personally just use these these 2 cells 90% of the time. The ability to use cheap, widely available, and safe Alkalines, NiMhs and L91 Lithium primaries are just bonuses, not to mention AAAs and AAAAs (from a 9V) in a serious pinch... and my 1xAA EDC will also fully support anything in size between a CR123 and 18650 (just need the head and a piece of tinfoil)

I think we'll see more quality US manufacturers bringing 1xAAs to the market over time - McGimzo, Malkoff and Peak have them (and I own the later two). Would love add a Surefire to the collection.

Broad voltage 0.9-4.2 lights are becoming increasingly popular, Selfbuilt just released his review of the new Thrunite Neutron 1 or 2 AA with frigg'n 460/810 lms 4min Burst Modes on 1x NiMh/14500, respectively..... and with stone flat regulation following (unbelievable).

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uh, no. First of all, the one thing that limits output on virtually ALL small lights is heat. CR123 lights have hit this limit already, and can't maintain their highest output for very long. AA lights are getting there. Secondly, with most of the better AA lights, there is the possibility of using a 14500 for output that equals (or exceeds) a CR123a. And when it comes to 14500s, the choices are simply MUCH better than with RCR123a's. The way I see it, 1xAA lights beat CR123a lights by a long shot when it comes to versatility. You have a light that can run on a 14500 when you need brightness, NiMH for all-around performance, and alkalines in a pinch. CR123a lights are far more limiting.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
And don't forget how expensive CR123a's are in most countries. Though that may not be a big concern if you're paying for a Surefire. Still, you have to factor it in unless you're in LE and getting your batteries for free.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although it would upset not a small number of cpf'ers if sf ever made a 1xAA (as you can see), that would be so awesome to us masses & joe six packs, myself to the extent that it might motivate me to try surefire again after having sold every one of the over half dozen of theirs i've tried over the years.

Do it for the masses!

Why did you sell them?? :confused:

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
And don't forget how expensive CR123a's are in most countries. Though that may not be a big concern if you're paying for a Surefire. Still, you have to factor it in unless you're in LE and getting your batteries for free.

In my country CR123As' are not sold in almost every shop. Besides the outdoor gear shop I go to that sells CR123As only ACE Hardware and one little hardware shop sells them but in very limited quantities.

MatthewSB

Enlightened
Very interesting thread, glad I asked.

I'm not LE, and have to pay for my CR123s. I get them for $1-2 apiece. My Surefire LED lights are so efficient that I have to change a battery a month, sometimes I go longer, using the light daily. Most of the time I change the battery before its fully drained, because I don't want to find it's limit when needed. I'm about to order a fresh box of 12x CR123s, it'll last me at least a year and cost $10-15.

I bet that most people who use rechargeable batteries could have bought several years worth of lithium disposable batteries for the cost of their charger and rechargeable batteries.

I can't imagine putting cheap, weak alkaline batteries into a $100 light and discovering that they blew up in my light when I need it.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet that most people who use rechargeable batteries could have bought several years worth of lithium disposable batteries for the cost of their charger and rechargeable batteries.

I have a whole drawer full of Eneloops. (Admittedly, more than I need.) Where I live, they cost about the same as disposable lithium AAs. If I charge them just once, I'm ahead of the money game.

Good disposable lithium batteries are ridiculously expensive in most parts of the world. Even on-line, they're way more costly to operate than good rechargeable cells, unless you're running them in a clock or remote control or something you hardly ever use.