Might we actually FINALLY have a good 16340 available?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the 800mAH Sanyo LC16340 at Battery Universe. It is a little pricey ($10 each). But it looks like these may be the battery that 16340 fans EVERYWHERE have been waiting for.

On the other hand, it's a little odd that I find no reference to them anywhere else AND that they say they are 'backwards compatible' with CR123a batteries.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked it out and looked at the data sheet. 800mah eh? "backwards compatible with CR123's" is a big mistake putting that in the description. This Sanyo cell charges to 4.20v and will blow most lights meant solely for CR123's. Not buying the mah rating until I see an independent test. Not buying the 500 charge cycles either. Cannot find any other info on it either. A no go for me. When it comes to 16340's my 700mah Keeppowers work just fine.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
its not a sanyo battery.its some unknown "whateverfire" grade with unproven performance.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked out the product page on that retailers site again. Cannot blow up the pic of the cells. Cannot find any reference to this supposed Sanyo cell via Google either. Very likely a Chinese mystery fake. There are 10 factories in China that do nothing but manufacture counterfeit batteries this is likely one of them. Lord only knows its actual specs. Advise to avoid. Possible fire hazard.

recDNA

Flashaholic
10 "fake factories" huh? Do cruise missiles need target practice?

andrewnewman

Enlightened
10 "fake factories" huh? Do cruise missiles need target practice?
Hmm. I think the factories are actually pretty real (unfortunately). They are probably filled with real people who would prefer not to be a missile target. The factories produce very low quality products that are, at best, low capacity with a short lifespan. At worst they are actually dangerous to use. Most of these end up being wrapped with XXXfire branding and sold to an un-informed public. One great purpose of this forum is the ability to communicate the risks and dangers of XXXfire products. Now admittedly *some* of these 16340 get outright counterfeit wrappers. This is a real problem and there are some moderately effective countermeasures. Efest has a pretty high profile anti-counterfeiting program for consumers. Don't know how effective it is.

AW, Olight, Efest, Fenix and others manage to source reasonably good 16340s. Any idea who actually makes the genuine cell in these products? I realize it probably isn't one of the big Japanese or Korean companies but I'm still curious. Chinese manufacturing practices are surprisingly opaque.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I know they're real. Their products aren't. I made a bad joke about how to rectify the problem.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the core cells in legit major label cells are from the big manufacturers Sanyo, LG, Samsung etc. The majority of these legit core cells are made in Japan as are the PC for them they are then sent to China to be put together and wrapped. Yes 10 factories in China. All these factories do is mass produce counterfeits and fakes. I read this information in this section of the forum. With the amount of mystery cells and counterfeits that have flooded the market world wide 10 factories sounds correct. Lord only knows what the chinese mystery cells are actually made of. Cruise missiles? These factories would be easy targets for Tomahawks but would kill a ton of innocent Chinese people just trying to make a living likely working in very toxic and dangerous situations...