SunwayLED        
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

Default Re: SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

That's the tactician, not the EDCL, which still has TBD in several places.

It looks like firearms took down the EDCL spec sheet post. But they showed one with specs on the 1 and 2 with tbd in several places of the 2 specs.
    Stay tuned folks. John will hook us up with some numbers when the time is right.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-05-2017 at 08:24 AM.
    John 3:16
    "He was so far in the middle of nowhere Google Earth couldn't find him" -PK

Quote Originally Posted by JJRG View Post
    It is in fact, the return of the two-stage tailcap.
    That is exciting news! I gave my A2 Aviator to a friend some years ago. He still uses it from time to time, despite being outdated.

That UI is what made the light special.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Cool, was hoping they were releasing both the 2 cell and 1 cell light.

Hope the link goes up soon. Have a feeling the price is going to deter me until they start hitting secondary market though

Flashaholic

If it takes the same amount of time to reach the market place as their UM2 Ultra, aka 'baby' Dominator, did ... don't write the check just yet. Still... I wanted the EDCL-2T... but left this thread. I just had to read the recent UM2 Ultra posts - and ordered one. It arrived Saturday - and is it a keeper - and what a price!

The EDCL-2T is officially listed on the surefire page for $179.00. I'm just not sure what the heck I would do with a 1200 lumen EDC light. The low seems too low. Seems like I'd need to use the high for most EDC tasks. And 1200 surefire lumens is got to be bright as can be. Too bright, for me.

Yeah I guess I'm not as excited about it as I thought. Its form factor is eb2 and 5 lumens doesnt appeal to me either. I guess I was looking for a LX2 sized 15 lumen low with the good lanyard ring. I tried the eb2 when they came out and didnt like the 5 lumen low and also didnt like its size.

Oh well. I am glad to see the 2 stage tailcap back though.

Those that purchase I look forward to your results.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by teak View Post
    15 lumens is a perfect low I think. Everyone is different though.
    Pretty much. I do like the 10-15 lumen low settings of the L1 and LX2. 5 is juuuuust a little too dim to walk with unless I'm in the pitch dark. But that's just me.

I think the 5 to 1200 jump is a bit dramatic. I have a UM2 I recently got and the 15 lumen setting(level 2?) is perfect for almost everything.
    "a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." -Warren vs District of Columbia, after three women were raped, beaten for 14 hours and police never came after numerous 911 calls were placed

5 or 1200 lumens.. whuut!? Why didn't they choose for at least 3 modes.??

When I get to a keyboard Iíll do a more in-depth post. Long story short, Iíve been using the low setting on the EDCL-1T for months and not had any issue with it, and this is from cloudy moonless nights in the woods, to navigating dimly lit city streets, to looking under tables for my Daughterís crayons. The TIR head does a good job of doing a lot with a little, as others have noted.

As far as the WHY behind 1,200 lumens, itís excellent for controlling someone elseís vision in a wide variety of lighting conditions/acting as a very benign use of force in ambiguous encounters. For those interested in that particular topic Iíd suggest looking up Craig Douglasí/Shivworks concept of M.U.C. (Managing unknown contacts).

All depends what youíre looking for and how you intend to utilize it.

That all having been said, if the general consensus is 15 lumens is a better task output, I donít feel very strongly about ďno, it has to be 5Ē.

That all having been said, if the general consensus is 15 lumens is a better task output, I donít feel very strongly about ďno, it has to be 5Ē.
    Was there a reason behind the 5 instead of 15? Is 5 better suited toward its intended use, which seems tactical related in nature?

Quote Originally Posted by Lumen83 View Post
    Was there a reason behind the 5 instead of 15? Is 5 better suited toward its intended use, which seems tactical related in nature?
    Honestly when I specíd it, all I said was low, and didnít give it further thought. So 5 is what the engineers put in. Iíll actually focus some attention on it now.

I think 15-20 lumens is far more useful than five. A five lumen light is good for looking around in a theater or really close up stuff but it's not something that I would want while say, changing a tire on the car or checking out someone who's asleep in their car but not necessarily a problem. I want to ID them...not make them think a nuclear bomb just detonated over their head.

Well since you put it that way.... 15 would be my pick since I likely wouldnt use it in a foxhole, but rather, to light for a photograph, taking out the trash or finding a crayon under the sofa.
    PK designs his new multi setting stuff around 15 lumens and it's a very, very useable output when the battery absolutely, positively has to last until help arrives.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-06-2017 at 02:15 PM.
    John 3:16
    "He was so far in the middle of nowhere Google Earth couldn't find him" -PK

Does anyone know if the Thrym Switchback will fit this light. Basically is the tailswitch the same size as the EB1T and EB2T?
    Promethean #46

Quote Originally Posted by lightfooted View Post
    I think 15-20 lumens is far more useful than five. A five lumen light is good for looking around in a theater or really close up stuff but it's not something that I would want while say, changing a tire on the car or checking out someone who's asleep in their car but not necessarily a problem. I want to ID them...not make them think a nuclear bomb just detonated over their head.
    I use the 15 lumen low on my LX2 95% of the time. Great for daytime use too. I bought an EB1 with the 5 lumen low but sold it because 5 lumens wasnít bright enough for EDC. The 200 for close use was near suicide for my retinas! The 15 lumen output is the main thing that keeps the LX2 in my pocket time after time. Hereís what I would create if I was surefire: 15 lumen low. 1200 lumen high. 18650 compatibility... mic drop.

Honestly when I specíd it, all I said was low, and didnít give it further thought. So 5 is what the engineers put in. Iíll actually focus some attention on it now.
    Seems like you made an awesome light though. Love the return of the twisty two stage tail cap. Best UI, ever for me at least. Cool looking light too. I'm still really thinking about it. I just might need more juice on low.

Seems like you made an awesome light though. Love the return of the twisty two stage tail cap. Best UI, ever for me at least. Cool looking light too. I'm still really thinking about it. I just might need more juice on low.
    Itís going to be a bit before the low changes, if it does.

Quote Originally Posted by moltenmag View Post
    I use the 15 lumen low on my LX2 95% of the time. Great for daytime use too. I bought an EB1 with the 5 lumen low but sold it because 5 lumens wasnít bright enough for EDC. The 200 for close use was near suicide for my retinas! The 15 lumen output is the main thing that keeps the LX2 in my pocket time after time. Hereís what I would create if I was surefire: 15 lumen low. 1200 lumen high. 18650 compatibility... mic drop.
    weíll see what happens.

Itís going to be a bit before the low changes, if it does.
    Thats what I figure. I'll try to figure out a way to check out the 1T to find out if the 5 is enough. If it is, I'll jump on it.

Got mine ordered! Will report as soon as i get it
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body

It's interesting that the E2DCL-2T is sold as an "upgraded EB2" (according to official description) and yet it's only $179 compared to the $235 for the EB2.
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_sk View Post
    It's interesting that the E2DCL-2T is sold as an "upgraded EB2" (according to official description) and yet it's only $179 compared to the $235 for the EB2.
    Well, I'm certainly not complaining about the price...wonder when the one cell version will be released though.

Enlightened

Thats what I figure. I'll try to figure out a way to check out the 1T to find out if the 5 is enough. If it is, I'll jump on it.

even with newer higher output lights, I still use my old L1 , 1.1 Lumen output for most task around the house at night.

so would think 5 Lumen should be more than enough

so yes, I would get the 1T whenever it hit the local Gun store

To each his own, I guess.
    I like the 15 lumen low on my LX2 and G2X-LE, like a general purpose mode.

Long shot, I know, but how about a 15/1000 lumen version of this EDCL-2T?
    I'll gladly trade off 200 lumens for a bit more/or flatter runtime.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Default SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post

Agree with this. It would be like an LX2 on roids!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post

Agreed, those sound like a better output levels. Though with how nice the 3 lumen setting is on my old Outdoorsman CR123, 5 lumens is probably fine.

Love the return of the dual stage clicky. SureFire is getting me excited again.

Flashaholic

When I get to a keyboard Iíll do a more in-depth post. Long story short, Iíve been using the low setting on the EDCL-1T for months and not had any issue with it, and this is from cloudy moonless nights in the woods, to navigating dimly lit city streets, to looking under tables for my Daughterís crayons. The TIR head does a good job of doing a lot with a little, as others have noted.

As far as the WHY behind 1,200 lumens, itís excellent for controlling someone elseís vision in a wide variety of lighting conditions/acting as a very benign use of force in ambiguous encounters. For those interested in that particular topic Iíd suggest looking up Craig Douglasí/Shivworks concept of M.U.C. (Managing unknown contacts).

All depends what youíre looking for and how you intend to utilize it.
    Agreed & great to hear that an SME like Craig & his MUC concept were a factor in this lights development, BZ JJRG.

A close friend & recognized SME on the use of force known as DB (confidante of Ken Goode also), mentored me long ago & thus for years I've carried in my non-shooting hand an EAG (RIP Pat) 1000 lmm. Fury or an R1 Lawman EVERY time I'm out in low/no light situations. My 3 cell Fury or R1 can always double as an impact weapon first if things go south, seems I may need to pass the R1 onto my son & replace it w/ an EDCL-2T, time will tell.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast