Having conceptual trouble with charging speed.

hap124

Newly Enlightened

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't CV/ CC for charging li-ion ....shouldn't the eneloops be charged at .5 amps the whole time?

A lot of it depends on how full the batteries are when you place them in your charger.

If they're partially full, whether li-ions, or NiMH, they might be in the slower stage of the charging algorithms.

Chris

archimedes

Flashaholic
Oops, didn't notice you were referring to 'loops, sorry

Still, looking at the graphs at the link is instructive ... looks like that charger is generally delivering a bit less than "rated" current.

There is also a fair bit of "noise" / pulse / fluctuation that may be slowing things down some.

And, of course, heat losses and other inefficiencies.

Last edited:

SweD

Newly Enlightened
I haven't tested anything of the kind, and haven't seen tests done, but I presume, perhaps in error, that the losses in the system as a whole would increase with increasing charging current as well. Whether it's linnear or following another scale, I don't know.

Almost tempted due to lack of nothing better to do, to do some tests with charging a cell on my C9000 starting with very low charge current, and ramping it up to see the various time differences as compared to the ideal situation with no losses. :)

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry to tell you. . . In order to get 1900 mAh out of a battery, you always have to put more than 1900 mAh in. We're bump up against the laws of thermodynamics here.

c_c

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry to tell you. . . In order to get 1900 mAh out of a battery, you always have to put more than 1900 mAh in. We're bump up against the laws of thermodynamics here.

This is indeed true for NiMh chemistry, i.e. unlike Li-ion, its charge (Coulombic) efficiency is not 100%, so you need to put more charge in than you get out. Actually they are 100% charge efficient below 90% SOC, e.g. see AA Cycler's NiMH Charge and Energy efficiency graphs for Eneloops.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is indeed true for NiMh chemistry, i.e. unlike Li-ion, its charge (Coulombic) efficiency is not 100%, so you need to put more charge in than you get out. Actually they are 100% charge efficient below 90% SOC, e.g. see AA Cycler's NiMH Charge and Energy efficiency graphs for Eneloops.
Thanks, I stand corrected. The energy efficiency must be less than 100% but in some cases as you say, the Coulombic (amount of charge) efficiency can be 100%. At 100% Coulombic efficiency, energy efficiency is less than 100% because the average charge voltage is greater than the discharge voltage.

c_c

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I figure this is one of those simple things where I am missing a fundamental understanding. I have a Nitecore D2 that charges 2 channels at 500mA each. When I put 2 AA 1900mAH Eneloops in it takes them 5.5 hours each to charge. Is it not as simple as dividing the capacity by the charging rate? I expected 4 hours max given the math. Is the extra hour and a half some ramping up and down thing that the charger doesn't display?

No battery expert but the rate of charge seems to slow down near the end. Maybe those electrons are scrambling to reach their nose bleed seats. So the math never works out in my experience. I have tested this with my USB detector and it also applies to powerbanks, lithium ion batteries and other USB chargeable devices. Guessing the same is going on there as well.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Isn't CV/ CC for charging li-ion ....shouldn't the eneloops be charged at .5 amps the whole time?

Seems most of my chargers are doing 1/4 amps for NiMH. Some even lower. Again no battery expert just going by what the readings say. Some pulse charge NiMH. For example the O-light UC charges all Lithium ion batteries at a max of .75 amps but pulse charged eneloops at .25 amps. The Lii200 does .5 amps for 2 LSD NiMH. The goal zero guide 10 plus does around .80 amps for 4X NiMH.

Enderman

Enlightened
Chargers slow down as they approach the max battery capacity, both for safety and also to fit as much energy as possible in it.
You can get faster chargers, such as the new BQ-CC55 from panasonic which is a lot faster than most nimh chargers I've seen around.