how do i reduce voltage

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i always think resisters will do it. but they dont seem to. but they sure redice curent. so how do i simple reduce voltage.i want to go from 6 volts to 5.4

raggie33

*the raggedier*
it is a mp3 player the power adapter says input 110volts .5amp
output volts 5,4 dc 2 amps. i read all this off power adapter i cant see it drawing 2 amps it runs like 16 hours on a internal batery that can be bigger then the size of a quarter

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it simply means that it's capable of up to 2 amps of current draw @ 5.4 volts

idleprocess

Flashaholic
AC-DC power supplies are typically labeled with a maximum output current rating.

Cheaper wall-warts tend to be unregulated - meaning they only produce their ratedo utput voltage at a given load. Better ones are regulated so their output is consistent no matter what the load so long as it's within their limit.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The easiest way to do this, reduce the voltage by .6 Volts, is to add a conventional rectifier diode in series. Something like 1N4005.

Doug Owen

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i dont under stand why resters work then with flash lights acording to my meter with restier its 12 volts to my led and its very very dim a corse with out rester it would fry my led at 12 volts. im so confused is the led geting 12 volts?