Anybody else noticed this?

RebelRAM

Enlightened
There are a lot more people shopping in the sporting good sections at the local big box stores lately. What I mean by that is these people are buying camping/survival type items. And these people aren't going camping. Is this happening all over the country or just in the South? I frequently go into the sporting good sections just because I'm an outdoorsman and that sort of thing has always interested me. Camping/hunting/fishing... that's me. It's what I like to do.

The funny thing is, apparently I look like I belong in that department because people are always asking me for recommendations or have questions about various items. I'm like "I don't work here, but that item is what you need, that other stuff is junk!"

I guess the hurricane really opened people's eyes and minds. Being how I was a Boy Scout I have always lived "Be Prepared" I guess a lot more people realize now that being prepared isn't such a bad idea.

Malpaso

Enlightened
Unfortunately, people will buy all kinds of stuff, necessary and unnecessary, never learn how to use it, never test it and soon forget about it. But it will make them feel safe. Kind of like SUVs.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Malpaso said:
Unfortunately, people will buy all kinds of stuff, necessary and unnecessary, never learn how to use it, never test it and soon forget about it. But it will make them feel safe. Kind of like SUVs.

Very true.

However, one can certainly hope that in each wave of "fad survivalists" there's a small percentage that "gets it" and sticks with it thereafter. Y2K, the 50's bomb shelters, whatever, each time, a smaller subset of people leave the sheep and don't look back.

Even if it's just the awakening awarenes that they're on thier own, lest they be herded like cattle is a good thing.

ledlurker

Enlightened
I went to a Cabella's in Budah, TX last week. I have never seen that much equipment and supplies under one 12 acre cathredral roof before in my life. It was like the Outdoor Life shrine to consumerism (an antique Winchester for $165,000). And, it actually unsettled me. That was when my wife actually learned that I have great will power. I spent about a hour in the store and did not purchase one penny of goods.

Yesterday I did buy a generator so I can take the time to rebuild my old one that was a freebie 5 years ago. Since my mom is now an invalid due to Multiple Scelerosis, I have a portable A/C handy for when the power goes out.

Brock

Flashaholic
If you have been to the SHOT show, you know nothing, and I mean nothing, can compare to walking around that place. More stores / wears then you would ever imagine were ever made.

But yes, I have been forever thinking of getting a Honda 2000i to replace my 2.5k beater genset. But when I went and looked at them again they are now $40 more then 2 months ago and they said they only had 2 left. I can wait and will wait.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah.. living right between two earthquake faults (here in the US) I was thinking that it probably would make sense to get a litle emergency stash together....

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the response to Katrina is anything to go by, you'll certainly need an emergency stash since there ain't gonna be any help coming for a few days...

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prepare as if you were going to be on your own for a minimum of 72 hours. Seven days is better. 30 days is better still.

It's not difficult or all that expensive. If you have shelter and water, you're pretty well set for the 72 hour bit. A minimal backpack camping set up and basic food, water and medicine should see you thru a week. 30 days is a bit more of a challenge but certainly not out of reach for most people.

Just the planning and putting basic survival supplies together will give you a sense of satisfaction and confidence.

You might miss your Perrier, health club and Seinfield reruns, but you'll survive.

ledlurker

Enlightened
yep, two months food and the means to prepare/warm it. Enough bottled water for a week then I tap into 2- 50 gallon water heaters. Two bathtubs that can be filled about (150 gallons total) and a collapsable water tank that can hold 500 gallons. After that I would have to break out the 30 gallons of homade wine. Adequate defense equipment. Field surgical kit blah blah on and on.

Mine was set up to cover most scenerios. especially if there is a epidemic and we have to self quarantine.

All this gear takes up no more space than what an average person has packrat away in a house.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Does tap water have to be treated or anything to be stored for a long time (up to a year)? Or does the chlorine in it keep the bacteria and such away for that long of a time? I know my grandparents have jugs of emergency water that've been sitting around since the 1950's, but nobody is brave enough to drink them to find out if they're still safe.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few drops of chlorine bleach per gallon will just about guarantee no bad bugs, but won't help the taste. I pour out and refill all my stored water during the week between Christmas and New Years.