---#1 EDC flashlight*Peak Logan QTC with momentary on/off -Pictures-Video

jonesy

Enlightened
So now it's been a week or so, how are you guys still liking your lights? Any annoyances or other things that you don't like?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't have this light but I really prefer forward clicky to momentary only. The infinite adjustment looks really nice though and I love a good clip on an edc.

You mentioned "good throw" .... did you measure lux?

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
So now it's been a week or so, how are you guys still liking your lights? Any annoyances or other things that you don't like?

I still like mine - likes:
Solid build
Beam shape
Nice, white tint (let's face it, if it's going to be white, it needs to be WHITE! - that said, I prefer neutral/warm, but this white is so nice that I enjoy it)
Momentary Press that will tail stand
Good heat transfer

One other thing - dealing with Oveready is a pleasure - a joy. Having the chance to purchase the Peak products from Sarah, Tom and Dan seals the deal for me!

Like "less" (slightly annoying)
QTC seems to be less effective. I can get a very low low, then it typically jumps to high. It's okay -that's the way use it. I have only 2 17500 batteries and it's the same on both - although it seemed to have more range when I first received it. And it's a bit 'jumpy' - if I 'twist' to a low setting, then momentarily press to a high, it doesn't always land back on the same low level when I release the momentary.

In all fairness, I am comparing it to one of the smoother rotary interfaces, the T1A, and that is NOT a fair comparison. For what it does, the QTC is an elegant, simple solution and I like it. Interestingly, my little SS 10180 Eiger on my key chain gets more use, and the range on it has held up very well.

IMHO, if one knows what to expect from the QTC and is satisfied with the way it performs, this light should be a solid EDC companion for many, many years. It is built like a battleship!

Last edited:

whistrot

Newly Enlightened
I don't have this light but I really prefer forward clicky to momentary only. The infinite adjustment looks really nice though and I love a good clip on an edc.

You mentioned "good throw" .... did you measure lux?

Here are some measurements I took with my home-made lightbox:

Maximum output and peak throw (at power-on):

AW 17500: 290 lm (2320 lx @ 1m)
Energizer L91: 88 lm (710 lx @ 1m)
Sanyo eneloop AA: 78 lm (640 lx @ 1m)

The Logan is not a thrower, but has a very useful beam shape for EDC use.

With a freshly charged eneloop I get these runtime/output values:

0:00 - 78 lm
0:15 - 66 lm
0:30 - 65 lm
0:45 - 65 lm
1:00 - 63 lm
1:15 - 63 lm
1:30 - 61 lm
1:45 - 55 lm
2:00 - 33 lm
2:15 - 22 lm
2:30 - 10 lm
2:45 - 5 lm
3:00 - 3 lm

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good chart and youre lightbox sounds about right, but I havent measured mine yet.

I too notice that with the momentary on/off its not exact low every time since our fingers cant measure presure to the smallest increments. It serves its purpose really nicely otherwise.

I put some nano grease and it did make it smoother. I actually like the UI alot more now. Im waiting for the CR123 bodies to get my 2nd Peak. Maybe a warm version too.

bigC

manoloco

Enlightened
I have been trying some QTC pills on a couple of lights i have, but the best result was on my old Peak Kili 5 red led, smooth, and goes from a really, and i mean really low red to bright. even one handed and quicklily done, i get a really low on that light, that smoothly transitions to bright. you can go so low as to think the light is off unless you look close INTO the 5mm leds themselves

This is in contrast to my tank007 e07, that starts at a medium output (relatively to its max output) and the transition is too fast to to bright and with a couple of hiccups.

i assume this has to do with the emitter and pull of the driver, but i suspect the threading quality has a lot to do with that too, if this is any indication of what to expect from the QTC Peaks then its really good, specially if the pill design of them improves the operation and if the new threads are better than the older models..if it works as my red Kili, i will be fine with it.

Your review helped me decide to get one, and yes you made me also buy the 123 body too.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I've also found differences in the same light, with different batteries. Lower voltage configurations being smoother and easier to control.

manoloco

Enlightened
Good chart and youre lightbox sounds about right, but I havent measured mine yet.

I too notice that with the momentary on/off its not exact low every time since our fingers cant measure presure to the smallest increments. It serves its purpose really nicely otherwise.

I put some nano grease and it did make it smoother. I actually like the UI alot more now. Im waiting for the CR123 bodies to get my 2nd Peak. Maybe a warm version too.

bigC

If you are going to buy a second Logan with 123 body there is 1 left in stock at Oveready, if that gets taken you could buy a 17500 (also in stock) and get the 123 as 2nd body option, and have the 17500 body as backup.

Last edited:

manoloco

Enlightened
Just got my order from Oveready!: Peak Logan QTC 17500/AA momentary and 123 extra body with momentary too, will order a clip when they are available

Man i got to thank you for your review, i was looking at that time for an El Capitan in QTC and watched your video, this light is so versatile and the size and proportions are so right!

In the past if a light was comfortable to pocket carry it got a little covered by my palm covering a bit of light when operated, with the Logan 17500 its just the right size! and its slim enough so when i sit down the light in my pocket doesnt make my leg or waist feel uncomfortable

its also perfect concerning output, even most multi-mode lights arent bright enough or dont go low enough or the medium mode isnt bright enough or too bright for medium mode... The Logan is perfect in this sense, quite bright for its size definitely, can go REALLY low, and in the middle you can stop anywhere to any output you consider necessary.

Now to the user interface: its almost perfect, and im not pointing out any fault here, at all, the light operates impeccably, you can make it engage low accurately enough for any practical use, and i feared if going to high was going to need an uncomfortable push of the button, but its very comfortable!, it even surpassed my expectations for the variable momentary switch.

Poped an alkaline AA, a NiMH, a Lithium primary, a 17500, all worked great! (but i like it more with 17500 of course :D)

Reports of other members runtimes are good!

It even looks good and the momentary switch tailstands :D

Thanks again for the review BigC, and to Peak, they´ve got a really best in class light in its hands! Kudos to Curt R.

In my case it bested my L1, HDS EDC, Novatac 120P, Nitecore EX10 my Malkoff M60 drop in for all the reasons mentioned above.

I will definitely be getting another one, one more thing, i will post a cheer to Oveready service, it was great and impeccable from start to finish!

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, i just recieved my Peak Logan QTC from Oveready, it is the single 123 cell version with clip and momentary switch etc. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it work though! I realise that i must be really dumb etc etc.

I unscrew the s/s bezel to insert the 123 cell (i have tried primaries and RCR cells) and there is a thin, white plastic disc with metal in the middle that falls out of the tube. I have tried putting the disc underneath the battery both ways up as it looks as if it makes contact with the bottom of the cell thus allowing the momentary switch to work. I place it in the bottom of the battery tube and then insert the battery, i then screw the bezel into the top of the tube and when it is nearly all the way in the light comes on what looks like high setting and stays on. By backing up the bezel the momentary switch does work but i can only get the high setting and nothing else.

Please can someone put me out of my misery and explain how the light functions?

Yours stupidly,

Philip

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the post i will contact you directly asap. It was driving me a bit mad trying to figure it out, it is almost a relief to be told it may not be right. I could hear the 'disc' rattle inside the body when i first held the light. Maybe something was jarred on the journey to the UK? You guys take so much care when packing the contents of the order too, no one else i deal with wraps lights up using the foam tubes etc.

Regards,

Philip

manoloco

Enlightened
Hello all, i just recieved my Peak Logan QTC from Oveready, it is the single 123 cell version with clip and momentary switch etc. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it work though! I realise that i must be really dumb etc etc.

I unscrew the s/s bezel to insert the 123 cell (i have tried primaries and RCR cells) and there is a thin, white plastic disc with metal in the middle that falls out of the tube. I have tried putting the disc underneath the battery both ways up as it looks as if it makes contact with the bottom of the cell thus allowing the momentary switch to work. I place it in the bottom of the battery tube and then insert the battery, i then screw the bezel into the top of the tube and when it is nearly all the way in the light comes on what looks like high setting and stays on. By backing up the bezel the momentary switch does work but i can only get the high setting and nothing else.

Please can someone put me out of my misery and explain how the light functions?

Yours stupidly,

Philip

I might be a bit late with this post but here is what i think it is:

you are either missing the foam ring/donut, or it is placed underneath the the QTC capsule, thats why your QTC capsule is falling off, the foam ring is to prevent its movement.

My bet is the latter as you also cant make the light work.

i could have happened during transit that the capsule and foam ring traded places, seems really unlikely since the foam ring has to be on top of it, but when i took out the capsule to check it out the first time guess what came off first?, thats right the capsule.

The weight of the capsule is more and it makes almost no friction to the battery tube while the foam ring is lighter and makes way more friction with it so when i turned the tube upside down, and hit it with the palm of my hand a few times, the capsule fell out and the ring stayed in, turned sideways, making way to the capsule to come off.

if you havent sent the light yet try taking out the foam ring from the bottom (with a Q-tip or similar), insert the capsule first, nipple side up, and then the foam ring.

If theres no foam ring then ask for one to Dan, and in the meantime you can fancy one by yourself with a little piece of foam,

good luck.

Btw i will be making a little review/instructable on using, mantaining and tuning the Logan in the peak forum soon, might help to understand a bit better what i have been talking about here.

purelite

Enlightened
Still liking the Logan VERY much!!!

I will agree the QTC isnt a perfect mechanism from the standpoint of repeatable accuracy. And I dont have a problem with that at all. It is a simple design and it will not fail. Even if it were to fail you will still get full output from the light . I have noticed when I set the Logan to a very low setting it will slowly ramp up in briteness on its own about another 5-10 lumens on occasion but not every time. also if I have it set to the lowest setting and tap the light I can get it to ramp up a bit but I am talking only 5-10 lumens on occasion . This may have to do more with operator variations than the light itself though . It does seem to ramp a bit quicker now that it is "broken in" but it is still very functional and perfectly fine in daily usage. If I want to get some different levels I just have to spend abit more time to get them locked in. otherwise in an EDC role you can quickly get a super low low, a nice selection of "mid" settings and then quickly ramp up to high which still blows me away every time.

The finish has held up great though its carried in a dedicated pocket not on a keychain or anything it still looks new. This is definitley the best EDC I have come across in a cpl years!!! I cant see anything bumping it off except an XML version!!!

And once again thank you Oveready for your awesome after purchase support. Oveready doesnt just disappear after you buy. They are right there with you it is quite remarkable and you feel like they are more friends than a shop you just buy stuff from they really make you feel that way . :)

Dean N

Newly Enlightened
bigchelis said:
The momentary on switch on/off doesn't activate unless you want to.
This is good to hear as it is something I wondered about with so much switch protrusion.

The amount of pressure required is something I am very interested in as well as I am considering one of these for my daughter. Would you happen to have access to a scale to test how much pressure is needed for 100% activation? If not, maybe swing by a post office that has a scale in the common area? :)

Dean

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any parasitic current drain in the off mode with the Logan?

manoloco

Enlightened
No parasitic drain at all, QTC acts as electrical insulator when not compressed and as conductor when compressed.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
+1

Lights with electronic switches draw power so the switch can operate the control system. Peak QTC's have no control system and no switches (in the traditional sense).