ROP/Low torture heat test with Mag stock lens/reflector UPDATED

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
We've all been told that the 11W ROP low bulb falls just outside the 10W rated capacity of the MagLite stock reflector / lens. The question we've all wondered is "Just how long can I run the ROP/Low continuously and not suffer damage to the stock parts?"

Well, in the name of science, I put it to the test over lunch hour today.

roptest2.jpg

Here's the setup:

roptest1.jpg

1 MagLite 6D light
1 ROP/Low bulb
6 7Ah NiMH batteries from BatteryStation.com.
1 Place of business

I'm running the flashlight horizontally and will snap photos now and then.

The test began at 12:10.

roptest3.jpg

Hmm. Wonder what I had for lunch. (I had a Tagamet first.) No, I wasn't cooking the pizza rolls with the ROP.

After about seven minutes, I noticed a grey ring around the lower half of the outer edge of the reflector. It wasn't very big. At ten minutes, I turned off the light for about one minute to snap a better photo of the phenomenon when I noticed the inner part of the reflector was starting to deform (see photos).

roptest4.jpg

roptest5.jpg

The "smoking" effect grew and expanded as the temperature inside the head of the light rose. At about twenty minutes, the reflector was pretty much totally shot. I continued to burn the light to see how long it would take before I began to see heat damage to the lens.

At 32 minutes (12:42p.m.), I noticed a little "donut" of sorts in the center of the lens. (this cheapie camera doesn't show it all that well and my good camera is on loan), I concluded the test and took out the reflector for a final photo.

roptest7.jpg

Before I disassembled the head to pull the reflector for a photo.

roptest6.jpg

The final damage.

A few notes: I didn't move the light at all for the first ten minutes. From then on I would pick it up from time to time and put it back down, not necessarily in the same place on its side.

The light ran continuously except for the photo at ten minutes or so (took less than a minute to do).

When some of my co-workers returned from lunch, they remarked on the odd chemical smell ("smells like insecticide concentrate").

Upon further post-mortem examination, the reflector itself didn't melt, but rather the aluminized liner (aluminum foil, if you will) on the surface of the plastic reflector became detached. Most of the smoke-like glaze on the outer part of the reflector face came off with a kleenex and some moist breath (not necessarily in that order).

After a little clean-up, the reflector was probably about 80-85% good as new.

The deformation on the lens, however, didn't "buff right out" and remained about 9mm across, surely reducing the transmission of light to some degree and diffusing whatever light passes through that center region.

I hope this little exercise helps others out there as their work has helped me these last few months.

All the best!

John

Last edited:

Timson

Enlightened
Re: ROP/Low torture heat test with Mag stock lens/reflector

John,

Interesting test.....

I'm sure it would have lasted longer in actual use outdoors. Sitting motionless on a desk is a tough test when you consider the heat geneated by a hi power flashlight.

This is what happened to my Mag60 when used outdoors for about 10mins.
Plastic lense was fine, but the reflector died. :thumbsdow .

IMG_0084a.JPG

IMG_0088a.JPG

I have now upgraded to Mag 85, but obviously, lesson learned - and I have Alu reflector and Borofloat lense.

Tim.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent report, John.

Thanks.

underdust

Newly Enlightened

Very interesting test, and some great pics. Thanks !

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
Subsequent findings:

A couple of days after the test, I had recharged the batteries and was fitting new high-temp parts into this light when I noticed the light was going off and on intermittently depending on how I held it and if I bumped it gently.

Upon further examination, I noticed the lead base of the bulb had melted to the shape of the wedge-shaped spring-loaded base of the lamp assembly on the Mag Lite.

rophot1.jpg

That suggests to me the temperature of the bulb after that 30-odd minute continuous run was over 500 degrees F.

rophot2.jpg

(again, sorry about the crappy camera!)

There is no damage I can detect in the plastic lamp assembly.

I put in a new bulb (argh!) and it was all good as new.

I didn't mind losing the stock reflector, but the bulb loss sucked.

I still have a couple of ROP/Low stock reflector/lens lights for play, but for my working gear, I'm put in high-temp parts, even for the ROP/Low - which fills a niche for me with long run times and still very powerful 404 torch lumen output.

John

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey if you have a soldering iron and solder you could build back up the solder blob on the back!

dagger10k

Newly Enlightened
Looks like you could run it safely, for a little while at least, with stock parts.

Nice Lone Wolf, btw.

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
Just an update:

Been using these ROP/Lo's with stock parts for a number of months now for up to a couple of minutes of continuous run time and found no problems with overheating issues.

Also, in another light, I've also got the aluminum reflector/UCL lens upgraded one that I've run for as long as 10 minutes without the base of the bulb getting too badly deformed as happened in the torture test.

John