Power Out- Funny!

frisco

Enlightened
Well about an hour ago (7PM PST) the power went out for about 5 minutes. A big storm for us here in Northern California! (I know were wimps when it comes to weather) So I'm laying on my bed... watching TV and doing some Internet stuff on my laptop when the power goes out! I bust of laughing!!! And you know it's funny when you laugh and nobody else is around! It's like talking to yourself! What's funny is that my first reaction is that "I need a flashlight" Than I realize my gear bag is on my bed and I have about 15 lights in the bag and 8 lights right in front of me and a Pelican case opened that has about eighty batteries in it! Thanks to CPF, this is the first time I have ever been prepared for a power outage!

Update: Just a call from a friend of mine, and he says the power is out at his house, and his kids are doing there homework with the Fenix LP1's that I gave them for Christmas! Now he wants me to fix him up with flashlights for his house and cars!

frisco :) :)

Lumenz

Enlightened
Nice!

I live near San Francisco but my power has not gone out yet during this inclement weather (for California, that is). However, a few months ago my power went out and I was sitting at my desk with my Nuwai Q-III in the drawer and about 3 Photons (of various generations) laying about. I grabbed my Q-III and found my 4-D cell Mag with an EverLED bulb which I keep by the bed and just used that as a very bright candle to light up the room.

My girlfriend thinks I am crazy for having so many flashlights (I am sure everyone here is familiar with that scenario) but after the power outage she asked me to get her some flashlights. So now she has an Inova T3, Matterhorn AAA 1-LED and one of those free Photon-clone lights from Lighthound.

Techsplorer

Newly Enlightened
Similar here,

Power out while an work, pause, oh yeah I have at least 2 flashlights in my pockets and 3 in my briefcase. I was only dissapointed when the lights went back on because I was busy trying out my flashlights in a 'real life' situation.

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL.

Power went out here too (Los Angeles) this evening for about 15 minutes. I deliberately had my M4 right at hand for such an occurance, since yes, even minor weather conditions here cause havoc with the cracked and tangled wiring "systems" that seem so common here.

So I used the M4 long enough to find my cheesy Garrity (the one with the Nichia Jupiter LED) to read a novel I've been working on for a while.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
When we lost power one night a couple of months ago, I was in my livingroom, trying out a new multipocket tactical vest and had the pockets loaded with flashlights.

tron3

Banned
You guys get to have all the fun. :awman:

My last event was the East coast blackout of August 2003. Only lasted like 18 hours in my city.

But when people call you nuts for having so many flashlights, remind them that power grid failures are not the only threat they have to darkness. Local power can go out due to storms, trees that suddenly fall, cars hitting power poles, and yes, even squirrels that get too curious. A squirrel did a lot damage to home electronics at my sisters house due to curiousity.

Wanna be in a dark basement when the lights suddenly burn out? Or someone turning the lights off on you? Me neither.