10mm led

mystic3

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm really new to this and have a maglite flashlight I wanted to modify to use a led. I want to put a really bright led in it and I was wondering how accurate the specs on these are?

Thanks

Oznog

Enlightened
Well it's certainly impressive for a 10mm... I've seen them up to 1W though, that is a 0.3W.

The 10mm case has little ability to dissipate heat. Even at 100mA it's probably going to have a really hot die which is inefficient and degrades in a lot fewer hours than it should.

Also the focus is pretty wide and the typical reflector won't be able to tighten it.

That's why the Cree/SSC/Luxeon/etc stuff was created. Much better design. Not very expensive either.

spencer

Enlightened
Holy something that smells bad. I didn't see the price when I posted the first time. You are way better off getting a Seoul P4 or P7 or a Cree MC-E or XP-E. For the price of one of those things you could get a quad die LED (P7 or MC-E) that will put out about 30x more light. Don't bother with that thing.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want to modify the maglite to LED, I'd suggest trying to find the right a drop-in first. If you can find it then look into modding the light. Look here.

I'd ignore the 5mm and 10mm LEDs. Most of them have similar output. The 10mm ones just have a narrower beam angle. Highpower LEDs can be quite a bit brighter then the 5mm LEDs. On average it might take 40 or more good 5mm/10mm LEDs to equal the output of a single current gen high power LED.

:welcome:

mystic3

Newly Enlightened
I tried a 15k mcd 3mm led and it really isn't much brighter than the stock krypton bulb.

I want to try a high powered led but I'm not sure how it works and I also can't find one that would fit my flashlight. I saw a lot of mods and they always involve placing the led onto a pcb. What's it for?