Craftsman Endurables with removable PR Luxeon - FR

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craftsman Endurables

Reviewed the 3AAA and 4AA with the removable PR Luxeon bulbs. Good news - the bulbs do work in other lights. Bad news - they get very hot very fast in C and D cell flashlights. Be very careful!

No drivers - resistors only.

Enjoy!
Doug P.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review, interesting lights.

FWIW- Not all "Craftsman" branded merchandise comes with the Lifetime warranty. If it doesn't specifically state so on the package, it most likely does not.

Also, it looks the the 4AA model in on clearance for only $9.97 while supplies last. :)

Peter

FredM

Enlightened
I think only the handtools come with the warrenty.

To bad they won't drop in a maglight. Probably need a bigger resistor.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
LitFuse said:
Also, it looks the the 4AA model in on clearance for only $9.97 while supplies last.
There are two 4AA versions? as that one is Xenon and 5 LED's while the one reviewed is this one at $24.99US.

I don't think they sell the 3AAA version in Sears Canada stores/online, though they do sell the two 4AA versions and the 3D version.

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, be careful. They have a 4AA model on sale that looks almost identical except it has a 5mm LED in the center instead of a Luxeon.

Siege72

Newly Enlightened
Quickbeam said:
Craftsman Endurables

Reviewed the 3AAA and 4AA with the removable PR Luxeon bulbs. Good news - the bulbs do work in other lights. Bad news - they get very hot very fast in C and D cell flashlights.

Would you recommend using NiMH's in the lights? (Either the original housing or a new one)

I had the 4AA Luxeon one once. I took it back cuz that thing is fat ***.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE 4AA PR LUXEON. The polarity is opposite of the conventional one.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crap, you're right! :ohgeez:

Looks like I need to cancel my order...

Peter

Flashfirstask?later said:
There are two 4AA versions? as that one is Xenon and 5 LED's while the one reviewed is this one at $24.99US.

I don't think they sell the 3AAA version in Sears Canada stores/online, though they do sell the two 4AA versions and the 3D version.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlightreviews said:
4AA left, 3AAA right
4AA beam at one meter at target center, LEDs left, Luxeon right
On my browser set at 800x600.
4AA picture top, 3AAA picture bottom
LED beamshot top, luxeon beamshot bottom
Does the software at flashlight reviews automatically reconfigure picture location depending on browser resolution settings?

Handlobraesing said:
BE CAREFUL WITH THE 4AA PR LUXEON. The polarity is opposite of the conventional one.
Thanks for the warning. I was going to buy one to swap the bulb into my Turtlelight.

C4LED

Enlightened
Excellent review!

And, interesting comments about using the PR bulb in a larger light - like a 3D Mag. I've used one in a 3D and had no problems to date, even keeping it on for several minutes at a time (not more than 20 min. constant though). The longest times of use were on walks during some of the colder evenings of winter, so that may have helped w/temp. control.

I'd be interesting in hearing any other comments about using these bulbs in 3D's. I think I remember that CPF member Cratz did a runtime test and left this PR bulb in a 3D Mag on for 20 + hours.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my browser set at 800x600.
4AA picture top, 3AAA picture bottom
LED beamshot top, luxeon beamshot bottom
Does the software at flashlight reviews automatically reconfigure picture location depending on browser resolution settings?

Yes - especially the more recent reviews. I have modified many of the tables and structures so that the page adjusts to smaller browser windows. It's optimized for 1024x768, but an 800x600 browser should view the page without having to scroll from side to side.

I'll have to look into the 4AA bulb polarity.

I don't know how well it'll work with NiMHs - havn't tried it yet.

WNG

Enlightened
I have one 3AAA PR bulb in a 3D Mag with 2AA-to-D converters. Running on NIMHs. The overall voltage is lower than Alks.
Also coated the base with Dow Corning heatsink compound to help to remove heat to the Mag's S.S. carrier. Better than nothing.
So far, it's running reliably.
And I'm thrilled with the results. Beam is white and tight. Rivals my Blaster 3P 3W/3D, and subjectively I have to say it's superior based on wattage and bang for the buck.