A2 arrived today, some beamshots

dragoman

Enlightened
Hi all,

Well, I know we were all eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Surefire A2 Aviator with Yellow/Green LEDs. It finally arrived, and I have a mini-review and some beamshots.

First, my impressions. My first thought upon seeing it was "Holy crap, that's small!" It was much smaller than in my head, and I wondered how bright something this small COULD be. My fears were soon put to rest.

Upon the first press of the button, the slightest (and I do mean slight) pressure on the switch and the Yellow/Green LEDs lit up. In daylight, they are unimpressive, and at 3 lumens they are not supposed to be.

A note about the Y/G LEDs. I'm not sure why I got this model, as the literature pretty much states that Y/G was developed for use with Night Vision Gear (NVG) by the military. But one or two of you said it might be the best balance between brightness (green) and color rendition (white), so I went with it.

I like the color, it is nice (pictures later) and fairly bright. In a dark closet with your eyes night-adapted, it does pretty well for showing you whats around you. You could probably navigate through a dark house (or stairway, etc...) with no problem with the LEDs (haven't tried it yet).

The flashlight itself is very well made, as most Surefire products are I've heard (my first!). The threads are excellently machined, and the tail switch rotates smoothly. I'm a little concerned about how far you have to turn it to lock it out (as far as waterproofing) but I'm sure it is watertight. The O-rings are substantial and pre-greased, which is a nice touch.

The switch itself is a work of art, and it operates very smoothly. As I said, the slightest pressure will turn on the leds, with a little more ooomph needed to get the incandescent on.

All in all, I am very happy with the light. It is extremely well-made and when comparing it to my other flashlights......there is no comparison. I highly recommend it to anyone needing a versatile, multi-level light that is small enough to fit comfortably in a jeans pocket.

A few issues:

1) during my test, I used new Batterystation brand CR123a's in both lights. About 10 minutes into the test, the light began strobing between a high (normal) and low level incandescent beam. I believe this to be a heat issue with the BS cells, because when I took them out they were smoking hot. I replaced them with partially depleted (about 10 mins usage) SureFire brand cells and continued the test. No strobing, etc.... was noticed with the SF123a's.

2) It seems the regulation is there for the incandescent, but once the light drops from regulation, in opposition to what I have read, the incandescent stays lit and behaves like a normal direct driven light. As you will see in the beamshots, the A2 output stayed well lit, but once out of regulation the incan declines to the point where the LEDs outshine it, but <b>the incandescent is still lit!</b> I don't know if this is wrong or a new type of circuit for the A2, but it definately does NOT behave the way it says it does on Quickbeam's site.

Without further ado, the beamshots. The test was done with the A2 and a Brinkmann Maxfire LX. The Maxfire is the only other 2 cell 123 Xenon light I own, and the runtime and brightness are similar enough I felt it would show the regulation of the A2 fairly well. Again, the A2 is using Surefire brand cells, the Maxfire is using BS brand cells.

In all the shots, the A2 is on the left, Maxfire on the right. The distance away is around 2 ft, give or take, and the camera is on the little candlelight setting on the dial ( :) ) with no flash. The small little hotspots beside each corona are the reflections of the lights off the white surface (my spare freezer :D ). Hopefully these won't distract you too much.

Shot 1 - 10 minutes

DSC01273.jpg

Shot 2 - 20 minutes

DSC01274.jpg

Shot 3 - 30 minutes (here you can see the Brinkmann on the right begin to dim, the A2 stays the same)

DSC01275.jpg

Shot 4 - 40 minutes (I know the lights moved a bit....damn cat)

DSC01276.jpg

Shot 5 - 50 minutes (more pronounced fading visible here with the Maxfire)

DSC01277.jpg

Shot 6 - 60 minutes (seems the Maxfire gets a little brighter here, but still not as bright as A2)

DSC01278.jpg

Shot 7 - 70 minutes (further reduction in Maxfire output)

DSC01279.jpg

Shot 8 - 80 minutes (at approximately 75 minutes, the A2 went out of regulation, which bests the published runtime of 60 minutes) It should be pointed out that the incandescent does not turn off, like some have said about it once the regulator stops functioning. In this shot, the A2 incan is still operating, but at a very low level. The LEDs are brighter now at 3 lumens than the Maxfire, but you can notice the incan beam is still present in the A2's beam.

DSC01280.jpg

Shot 9 - 90 minutes (at this point the Maxfire is almost totally dark, while the LEDs are very bright) The Incandescent for the A2 is still lit, although very dark.

DSC01281.jpg

At this point, I removed the batteries from the A2 and inserted them into the Brinkmann. According to other reviews, the batteries should still have about 25% of life left in them. So I put them in the Maxfire and this is what they looked like after 10 minutes....

DSC01282.jpg

Approximately 5 minutes later, the light died. So after the incan in the A2 is done, I got 15 minutes or so of usable light from the Maxfire.

So thats it. The regulation for the incandescent seems to work, and the LEDs are a nice feature. The Y/G LEDs are a nice color, and seem to provide enough light for low level activities.

I really like the light, I'm happy I bought it. It will take some getting used to, as it is my first real high quality light. But I think it has convinced me to buy another Surefire, probably a LED like the L2.

I welcome any comments as this is my first review/beamshots post, if you have any suggestions to make it better / easier to understand let me know.

Thanks,

dragoman

SCblur

Enlightened
Nice review, thanks for the pictures. It's nice to see regulation in action. Your A2's regulation is behaving perfectly normal. The incan beam does not actually shut off when the regulation drops out, but in fact makes a quick drop in brightness, then proceeds to get dim fast until only the LED's remain lit. AFAIK, this is the same behaviour you'll get from every A2, new and old. Congrats on your first SF, you picked a great one, and I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it. I also have an A2, and I have noticed that the longer I have it, and use it for real-life applications, the more I love it.

Again, congrats and enjoy

Josh

carrot

Flashaholic
Very nice review, Dragoman! :thumbsup: My A2 does the same thing with regards to dropping out of regulation. The yellow-green LEDs are a beautiful toxic/nuclear green, perfect for your job, I think. ;) It was Draydur, by the way who said it was a good balance between brightness and color recognition.

Hmm, I think greenLED needs one in this color... you listening, green?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review! Thanks. I just bought a SF A2 on B/S/T and am looking forward to getting it. I thought the post-regulation running of the xenon was unclear in the descriptions/reviews. Thanks for clearing that up.
I think if you just turned the incan off as soon as it drops out of regulation, you get much more use of the rest of the batteries, either in the A2 with LED only, or in another light. Incans efficiency drops as the voltage drops. LED's get more efficient, but the incans get worse.
Good to see the comparison to the Brinkmann Maxfire, as I have one of those as well, and based on Quickbeam's review I thought the Maxfire would have a much brighter beam center, indicating it has a lot more throw (2032cp vrs. 4000). I'd definitely like to replace the Brinkmann with the A2.

And I know GreenLed was looking for an A2 (sorry man...)

dragoman

Enlightened
The A2 seems brighter than the Maxfire. Light output of the Maxfire has been compared with a P60 bulb, or around 60 lumens. Eyeball to me looks a little higher, maybe 70-75 for A2? Anyways, it is much brighter than 50 lumen rating on package.

I'm pretty happy with the light. My wife said "How much? It looks so small and cheap." :scowl:

Can't wait till she sees the L2. I think that will be my next surefire.

:D

Thanks for the positive comments.

dragoman

carrot

Flashaholic
Hey if the wife thinks it looks so small and cheap, I think she won't have a problem if you get a McLuxIII in titanium... and a Surefire M6... etc, etc. :D

ANW

Newly Enlightened
Enjoy your A2 you'll be like the rest of us who love their A2's. The YG loooks interesting i'm ordering one for my cousin in the army.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
So what is your impression of the Yellow/Green LEDS? How do things look to you inside and outside? Compared to a similary brightness white led light?

Curious minds want to know. :popcorn:

dragoman

Enlightened
The Yellow/Green LEDs are definately a "low-lighting" application. Outside in absolute darkness the are fine, but my white LED microlight keychain is much brighter.

Inside the Y/G LEDs are much easier to work with. They don't affect your night vision at all, which is pretty nice. I can see where they made these to work with NVGs.

Color rendition is shifted toward the green, which takes some getting used to at first. You can see the color of the beam in the pics above, I think the LEDs are too dim for my camera to get a good picture of a dark room though.

All in all, I like the Y/G. I have an X5 with white LEDs that is much brighter, but they have a little bit of a blue tint. My Microlight is white also, and much brighter than the A2.

I'll try get some other pics for you of the LEDs and how they render colors, maybe some pics of different colored objects in the Y/G beam.

Hope I answered your questions, let me know if you need more.

dragoman

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't use the Y/G model for doing much navigation in the woods, they were just a bit too dim. I think the white and green (sanded) are better for that. Indoors and close up I'm sure they are great.

Last edited:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, that's the way the A2 incan regulation is supposed to work. The old a2s came with a graph of the regulation curve in their box and if i were to use arbitrary numbers it would be something like this:

100 100 100 100 100 for 50 minutes or whatever .... then 90 80 70 for a little while .... then a big drop down to 40 30 20 .... then the incan shuts off totally. Don't take these as gospel, maybe someone's got a scan of the old A2 papers? I would do it but I don't get back home for another week or so.

FYI there is a large batch of BS cells that seem to have problems with the A2! (mine included :()

Cheers and congratulations on your excellent choice! I hope it keeps you happy for ages to come!

dangerman

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on your purchase. Like you the A2 was also my first special flashlight. As the others have said it's one of the best general purpose lights.

Don't worry about the regulation. It sound similar to my own experience, that is to say it is perfectly normal.

Welcome to the A2 club!

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grox said:
100 100 100 100 100 for 50 minutes or whatever .... then 90 80 70 for a little while .... then a big drop down to 40 30 20 .... then the incan shuts off totally.
That would match the graph on flashlightreviews.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Dragoman,

One of my favorite lights for camping is the EternaLight. On the lowest setting, it is great for finding your way around the camp site at night. The Y/G A2 is quickly becoming my second favorite. It does not go as dim, but the color spectrum is easy on dark adapted eyes.

On a side note, I have noticed that the Y/G does not show up well on my NightShot setting on my camera...

The A2 Y/G is a great combination of bright light when you need it, and dim light that is easy on dark adapted eyes when your needs are less demanding. Enjoy it.

Tom

sgt253

Enlightened
Enjoy your A2. I also have an A2 with Y/G leds. To fully appreciate how well those Y/G's work one has to use them with some type of NOD. Night Optical Device or more commonly "Night Vision". This light was my mission light while overseas. It works tremendously well when used with NOD's. Great light.

Illum

Flashaholic
iNDiGLo said:
So what is your impression of the Yellow/Green LEDS? How do things look to you inside and outside? Compared to a similary brightness white led light?

Curious minds want to know. :popcorn:

Personally, I dunno what green LEDs are supposed to help for, Red for night vision, Blue for tracking blood, green???

If colored leds can compete against white LEDs to see better and that its cheaper than white leds, Id probably buy colored LEDs to replace the non-existing white LED collection i have...

Last edited:

marxs

Enlightened
wow 75 minutes in regulation! i tried out a runtime test last night and only got 45 minutes before it dropped out...was using sanyo cr123 li-ions though...

EDIT: should i be worried im not getting at least the 60 minutes of regulation? what are the longest running cr123a's?

Last edited:

LawLight

Enlightened
Congrats on a great light, and a really nice review! I received my new round bodied A2 with white leds yesterday afternoon. I already love this light. Typical of the A2 style, it is useful in virtually any application in which you quickly need either low level light or a blast of incand. Congratulations on making such a good choice. Now, you'll get hooked on Surefire lights.

Kev