Need single AA waterproof battery carrier/holder

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need single AA water-proof/resistant battery carrier/holder

I used the search function and found no mention of this- lots of battery holder ideas, just not single AA.

I have a modded Fenix L1P as my EDC (Jet-I on the way) both using a 14500 Li-Ion and would like some single AA
waterproof battery holders for my spare 14500 and a Nimh or two. They definitely need to be single holders and waterproof. I don't think water and a Li-Ion would mix well.

Has anybody seen waterproof single AA battery holders anywhere?

Please post ideas or links!

:thanks:!

Last edited:

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
srvctec said:
Cool! Thanks, I'll check them out this weekend- hopefully my Wal-Mart has them.
It's in the sporting goods section, bright orange, threaded cap with a "O" ring too.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
they fit 16850's even better... but you just have to put something in there to keep them from rattling...

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
they fit 16850's even better... but you just have to put something in there to keep them from rattling...
That's what I use mine for but actually, it's a bit longer than a 18650 too.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
wptski said:
Wal-Mart match stick holder, less than a buck!
I carry my Fenix next to one of these in an army cartridge holster on my belt. If you're carrying the Fenix next to/against this matchcase, be aware that the case will rub off orange all over the Fenix! I had to wrap the matchcase entirely in electrical tape, so no orange is showing, to stop it from happening. Now it works like a charm. Matchcase looks neat in black, too.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omega Man said:
I carry my Fenix next to one of these in an army cartridge holster on my belt. If you're carrying the Fenix next to/against this matchcase, be aware that the case will rub off orange all over the Fenix! I had to wrap the matchcase entirely in electrical tape, so no orange is showing, to stop it from happening. Now it works like a charm. Matchcase looks neat in black, too.
So, it's painted orange. I have mine at work in my toolbox which is on wheels. I carry a spare LG18650 for my 5W McLux BadBoy 750. Funny the vibration/friction hasn't worn off some of the paint yet. A BlackBird which I carry in a pocket with no keys, coins, etc. is about half the finish worn off just from contact from machinery while in my coverall pocket!

How about using shrink wrap instead of electrical tape? Might look a bit neater?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nono, not painted at all, just the plastic literally grinds off onto the Fenix when I took it in and out of the holster. I'll post pics.

The holster closed:

Open with just Fenix and carrier. (attached AW's compass)

Open with Wave, and Fenix and carrier:

Open to show details of holster:

The back :

Items on top:

Items outside:

Found the cartridge holster at a local antique mall for $7 and got it on impulse, I knew I could find some use for it. Didn't know it'd turn into my EDC holster that very day!
The Wave fits fine it it, but a light alone in a side is too loose. Tryed putting a hanky in with it, but the Fenix wouldn't fit it with it. Thought of the matchcase, and it fits perfect. Had to add tape for the rubbing. The Fenix goes in and out smoothly, does not catch or pull on the case at all, and is very snug in there. I'm very happy with this setup.
And yeah, if I had any shrinkwrap, it'd look alot nicer, but this'll have to do.

Last edited:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading an old post saying the older version Fenixes could run on all battery types, including the li-ion AA size cells.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
perfectname said:
It's a bit off topic, but I would be interested to know how you modified the L1P for li-ion use.

I didn't actually do the mod- a fellow CPFer did it. My L1P is a new one with the LED swapped out for a 3 watter and a Flupic added which makes the light require the higher voltage of the 14500- at least this is how I understand it.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
srvctec said:
I didn't actually do the mod- a fellow CPFer did it. My L1P is a new one with the LED swapped out for a 3 watter and a Flupic added which makes the light require the higher voltage of the 14500- at least this is how I understand it.

Hi srvctec,

I guess that means you still are using that flashlight. Good to here! :)

Ken

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
kenster said:
Hi srvctec,

I guess that means you still are using that flashlight. Good to here! :)

Ken

Absolutely- love that Flupic!! I think it's still going to be my EDC and I'll just carry my new Jet-1 in it's holster on my belt- so now I'll have two EDC's.:ohgeez:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I finally got to Wal-Mart and purchased a couple of the match holders. They are OK, just way too big to keep in my pocket. I'll use them for a last resort or use them for something else.

Any other ideas, guys? I was thinking along the lines of something much smaller than the match holder that the battery will just fit into, reusable and waterproof.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I took a lip gloss container larger than chapstick tore it apart yanking out the stick
and cut it down with a saw and made a holder for 1AA cell. It is perhaps water resistant and fairly small but the siver lipgloss/chapstick cost about $2 so it isn't as cheap.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Need single AA water-proof/resistant battery carrier/holder

Well, I finally found exactly what I was wanting! Not that I have really been looking that hard, but my LiteFlux LF1 (my EDC for several months now) has been modded with a SSC P4 and now I want to use a 14500 in it all the time (have been using NiMH). I now have a need to carry spare batteries with me- either on me or in my briefcase.

I checked at Wal-Mart and found a 6-pack of glitter in vials for $2.96, and bought it to try, but.....

DSCF1215acrrs.jpg

Then on the way home, I went by Hobby Lobby, and thought they should have just what I needed without stuff inside the vials. I found exactly what I needed. There are 6 storage tubes in a package for $1.99. They fit AA batteries perfectly diameter-wise, but are too long. I trimmed about a half inch off the top to hold the batteries reasonably tight. I had to use the 14500 as a guide since they are 1-2 mm longer than a regular AA.

DSCF1210acrrs.jpg

DSCF1214ars.jpg

DSCF1212ars.jpg

DSCF1216crrs.jpg

There's about 1-2 mm clearance between each side of the battery and the tube. These are the closest fitting tubes I have seen once trimmed down lengthwise. My goal was to find the absolute smallest water proof/water resistant single AA/14500 holder and this is it.

I'll probably return the glitter- the caps are too fat anyway.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Wow, those Hobby Lobby tubes are even made in U.S.A.

:twothumbs

BTW, what's the best method to cut 'em down

"Straight and Square" ? (hope you know what i mean)

_