12V G4 15-20W DIY LED remplacement

Mkala

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Illum :)

For the SMPS, it's a two poles, but I respected the polarity (even if this has quite no sense, because the original connector is reversible..). I added earth on metal casing of fixture.
I forgot to take a picture, but I removed the black case to ensure better cooling, the white case is suffuciant for holding/insulation. A fuse is already on the PCB. For lifetime, no worries, this one is designed for small IT devices that run 10 to 24h a day. Furthermore, I will use it at 15W, and its a more 30W, life should be good.
I made this choice over "china waterproof 12 LED supplies" on eBay, I think this one is better. If I found and industrial SMPS it would be the best, but almost all are 2'' wide, this is 50.8mm to my 45mm max...

Microa, yes really bright :) In fact, when you see the glass of the fixture, you think LED is weak.. not at all, this is only another radiation pattern : about 120° for a LED, and 360 for an halogen. On the table, it is very bright.
And thanks for the link !

I double checked what I ordered, and one LED was already an XP-E2 (the one on the picture with flux comparison) :
XPEBWT-L1-0000-00CE7 - Cree XP-E2 - 100lm @350mA - Warm White TYPICAL 80 CRI - This should make me the 150lm @ 550mA

I think I will buy these :
XPEBWT-U1-R250-009E7 Cree XP-E2 - 80.6lm @350mA - Warm White Min 90CRI - This should make me the 120lm I need (binned a 85° th, thermal res 6°C/w)

I even found a better XT-E with 87.4lm in 90CRI, but I have to order 480 pieces... if someone is interested of 473 XTE LEDs :crackup:

Some more pics, because we like them all :

height_comparison.jpg

One interesting thing is the height of my LED assembly compared to a standard bulb. It's about equal, which is important to avoid eye direct contact with luminous source and glare.
This was a problem with the tower LED (top on picture) I bought (with other things, poor IRC and lot of light waste on sides - as discussed above)

new_shiny_drivers_vs_old_bulbs.jpg

And finnally my happy new and shiny drivers, VS the hold classic and hungry bulbs :)

Last edited:

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfect application for the Cree CXA1304 series COB LEDs. They would be underdriven a bit making the efficacy quite high and less dissipated heat.

Mkala

Newly Enlightened
Can be an option.. but not with my LED driver, 12V to 9V is too low drop I think.

But CXA1304 underdriven (about 180mA I think) with 1.6W/180mA can be a good solution too, effectively :)

Illum

Flashaholic
down the road if you are considering selling driver boards, let us know. Many of the chinese made ones produce too much EMI noise :grin2:

Mkala

Newly Enlightened
If anybody is interested by PCB or even assembled drivers, don't hesitate to ask :)

I have one spare PCB and 2 complete and tested drivers for sale, larger quantities need time to produce.

Heatsinks are available on ebay, for example : http://r.ebay.com/QnKXHU

Mkala

Newly Enlightened
All is done now, 8 assembled LEDs ready and tested. 7 are on the lamp, plus one spare.

all_assembled_leds.jpg

Final choice for LED is :
Cree XP-E2
3000k - min 90 CRI
81lm@350mA 85° - about 120lm in my application
XPEBWT-U1-R250-009E7

Very happy with this choice. Output is enough, perhaps a little lower than bulb. The main difference with bulb is radiation pattern, on the table the light is more than sufficient, on the side the light is lower due to 110° LED angle, vs 360° radiation of halogen bulb.

See u ;)

Jakefreese

Newly Enlightened
Nice build. How tall are your heat sinks? Are they sufficient? Are they going to be in an enclosure? I'm doing my G4 replacement with XPG2. I'm going with one driver for each string.

Mkala

Newly Enlightened
Thanks ;)

Heatsink size is 36mm total diameter and 10mm hight. Far enough for 1W led, with my version I'm more at the limit. Measured temperature is 70°C on heatsink, but it's hard to be precise (IR thermo on order).

It's for the light fixture you see in the first post : open at the bottom, closed at top, glass material.

If you have a link to your G4 replacement, you can post it ;)

Jakefreese

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! The pictures were not showing up since I was on the work Wi-Fi. I do have the build thread under the travel trailer light replacement. Maybe this weekend I'll have the driver built and a string of lights ready to put some power to them. I hope radio shack will have a couple through hole components I need.

yofatboy123

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm new to this website. I just wanted to know where you can get those led drivers from? :)

yofatboy123

Newly Enlightened
My projects are always slow I think ;)
I do them when I have time, and I prefer to take time to make things the better I can.

Yes still XPE @ 550mA. With vF at 3.10-3.15, this mean 1.7-1.8W LED power.

I'll test two LEDs :
XPE 90 CRI warm white ~120lm @550mA
XPE 80 CRI warm white ~150lm @550mA

My circuit works good :) Regulation is fine. Mechanical is ok too.

Some pics :

pcb_populated.jpg

assembled_front.jpg

assembled_rear.jpg

assembled_side.jpg

Happy you find some interest in my thread :)

Can you send me all the chip components diagram of this? Thanks!

Mkala

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! The pictures were not showing up since I was on the work Wi-Fi. I do have the build thread under the travel trailer light replacement. Maybe this weekend I'll have the driver built and a string of lights ready to put some power to them. I hope radio shack will have a couple through hole components I need.
You welcome. For the moment my pics are on an home serv, so possible somes companies block somes IP ranges.

Can you send me all the chip components diagram of this? Thanks!
Hello,
Schematic is typical application of PT4115.
I can sell you some PCB, send me a PM with the number you are interested and your country, so I can make you a proposal