Surefire M6 mini-review and beamshots (E2E vs U2 vs M6). Upd: M6-R now

Andrew Nik

Newly Enlightened
First impressions:
- small and lightweight
- 250 lumen is not VERY bright
wink.gif

- 500 lumen lamp is awesome, but 20 minutes runtime... it's not good

Indoor beamshots. 3.8 meters to wall, f2.8, 1/13 sec, ISO 50.

М6 500 lum. vs Е2Е 60 lum (shot overexposed, and so, aperture for next 3 shots was set to f4)

М6 500 lum. vs U2 100 lum

М6 250 lum. vs U2 100 lum

М6 250 lum. vs Е2Е 60 lum

Melt down of sack:

Outdoor shots. 12th floor. f3.5, 2 sec, ISO 50.
M6 batteries not fresh (about 2 days test usage with HOLA)

No light:

Е2Е 60 lum:

U2 100 lum:

М6 500 lum:

No light:

Е2Е 60 lum:

U2 100 lum:

М6 500 lum:

So.
Awesome light. Built as tank and very powerful.
Power consumption (my measurement) - 4.9 A x 6.8 V = 33 Watt (HOLA)

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Re: Surefire M6 mini-review and beamshots (E2E vs U2 vs M6)

Nice pictures :goodjob:

Isn't the M6 awesome? :rock:

Once you go to the regulated packs for the M6, you will be set :naughty:

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic

Just what it sounds like - rechargeable battery pack with a built-in voltage regulator. Member "js" made and sold them some time ago, and recently member AWR is offering a different regulated pack for sale. Do a search here in the forums for "M6-R" and "M6 regulated" so that you can learn more about these ;)

Will

nuggett

Enlightened

The M6 has spoiled me for other lights. Now, when I buy a new light, I keep the M6 away, otherwise I always get discouraged comparing beams with my new purchase.
M6 is just amazing and I love to hear others stories about it.
I used mine recently for night hot air balloon rides. Because of the balloons size, remoteness of the location and darkness, The M6 was the only light that could throw enough light for setup and breakdown. worked great. The crew and balloon owner were very grateful i thought to bring it.

wquiles

Flashaholic

The same thing happened to me :naughty:

I have some parts, hosts, reflectors, etc., to build several hotwires, but I no longer bother - I just grab my M6/MN20 with the HDM6 regulated pack, and I am set for an hour of regulated, white light outdoors ;)

Will

Andrew Nik

Newly Enlightened

wquiles said:
I just grab my M6/MN20 with the HDM6 regulated pack, and I am set for an hour of regulated, white light outdoors ;)

Will

in this case, are brightness equivalent to 6 primary cells?
Is it possible for using MN21 with this pack? How long run?

wquiles

Flashaholic

Andrew Nik said:
in this case, are brightness equivalent to 6 primary cells?
Is it possible for using MN21 with this pack? How long run?
I will try to answer your questions as best as I can, but I can tell that you have not followed my advice and you have not run the search yet. Lots of information on both packs, the M6-R and the HDM6. Please use the search function :grin2:

With these regulated packs, brightness is the same to primary 6 cells, but you get very little or no dimming as the rechargeable cells get drained - this is what the regulator does for you. With the 6 primaries, as the cells drain, the output drops and becomes yellower. In addition, both packs (M6-R and HDM6) also offer soft-start which extends bulb life.

As to what bulb it can/could use, it depends on the pack. For the M6-R, it is designed for the MN21 as the high output bulb, and the MN16 as the low output bulb. You can use the MN20 bulb with the M6-R, but it is driving the MN20 at a lower voltage so it does not look as beautiful and white as it could.

For the HDM6, it can be set to drive the MN21 or the MN20, or it can be set to drive either one, but there are some compromises when you set it to drive both, namely that the soft-start period gets longer.

As for runtimes, the HDM6 uses LiIon cells vs. the M6-R using NiMH cells, so you do get longer runtimes with the HDM6 but the HDM6 requires the use of a replacement cup in the tailcap to fit the longer pack. THe M6-R fits perfectly in the M6 "as is". I will let you know use the search function so that you can find the runtimes :naughty:

Will

Andrew Nik

Newly Enlightened

Thank you very much!
I was use search function, but my English not good, and I need about few days for find complete information :)

What the way for buying HDM6 in Russia?

Last edited:

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great pictures Andrew Nik. Your cat looks dazed from all that light. It seems to like the heat given off by the M6 though. Nice job.:)

I think shipping to anywhere in the world is included in the HDM6 purchase price.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

You need a KL6 head modified with a Cree for that M6 to use as a LOLA. It will smoke both the E2e and the U2 ;) And it will run close to four hours in regulation.

Fugly but functional.

IMG_8827.jpg

Here's a U2 (remember, it's on high)
IMG_8814.jpg

Here's the Cree'd KL6
IMG_8815.jpg

Andrew Nik

Newly Enlightened

Looks great! And no need for regulation battery pack...
Are this modified head available for buying? (or I must buy KL6 and Cree LED separately?)

wquiles

Flashaholic

Andrew Nik said:
Are this modified head available for buying? (or I must buy KL6 and Cree LED separately?)

That head is all custom - done by hand :rock:

You can buy the KL6 from several sources, even from Ebay, but the mod for the Cree, at least for now, has to be done by CM or somebody else here in the forums that has done the mod already ;)

Will

EV_007

Enlightened

CM said:
You need a KL6 head modified with a Cree for that M6 to use as a LOLA. It will smoke both the E2e and the U2 ;) And it will run close to four hours in regulation.

Fugly but functional.

IMG_8827.jpg

Here's a U2 (remember, it's on high)
IMG_8814.jpg

Here's the Cree'd KL6
IMG_8815.jpg

Best of both worlds, I like it. 4 hours, damn!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Andrew Nik said:
Looks great! And no need for regulation battery pack...

All I need is the KL6 from you. I have a bunch of P4 Crees in various tints. As I am swamped right now, my turnaround time for this mod is two to three days. BTW, the pictures above was a KL6 with a WF-P2 Cree. Now that P4's are available, it's another 20% brighter than the one shown above. Also the tint selection I have is pretty nice (WC, WG, WD, WH) with WD being the whitest and is equivalent to Lumileds WO. WC is more like XO. WG and WH are like V1 I think.

bwaites said:
If you want a mod for the M6, try talking with milkyspit, here are some possible M6 mods:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/138987&page=3&pp=30

3 Crees in a head like the KL6, 7 in the M6 head!

Bill

Those multi-emitter heads should be incredible lumen monsters. I might have to resort to eating Ramen Noodles for a few months so I can own one of those (the 7 headed monster version). Milky does good work.

Last edited:

Andrew Nik

Newly Enlightened

H-mm... thanks for information, guys!
I think, M6-R is most preffered solution for me. I love MN21, I love size and weight of M6, and want only regulated rechargeable pack for full use it. Now waiting response from JS about possibility for getting M6-R in Russia.

And 2 new shot from me:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is my poor man's M6-R:

IMG_8154.jpg

:D

This will power up the KL6 for close to three hours in regulation. Also works great for the stock lamp assemblies. With 2500mAH Li-Ions, it will power up the HOLA very nicely. Probably 15-20 minutes of runtime (not recommended continuous since it gets smoking hot!)

Andrew Nik

Newly Enlightened

Just receive my M6-R #34

Works good, but only 14 minutes runtime with MN21 after full charge on 0.4 A (test conditions: 5 min run - 7 min rest).
I think, some training needed for batteries, and I will try to decrease charge current, right?

And second question.
AFAIK, MN21 rated as 500-lumen lamp, and MN16 as 225-lumen.
But on this forum I seen following digits: 630 lumens HOLA and 300-400 lumens LOLA.
Please, explain me.

Last edited:

pyro

Enlightened

Andrew Nik said:
I think, some training needed for batteries, and I will try to decrease charge current, right?
No,
i usually charge my M6-R at 3A

From time to time you can charge 16 hours at 100mA,
especially when the pack was stored for longer time.