150 lumens+ LED flashlight

KeeperSD

Enlightened
With the Defender II you certainly can use a 18650, as mine is used everyday, personally i would just use the WE cell, you can also use primaries, however you will not be able to use RCR123's, for this you will need the 3.7-13V LA. I don't think there is any real benefit by using RCR123's anyway, the 18650 or LRB168 is a much nicer fit in the Defender anyway.

TheIlluminator

Newly Enlightened
I cant believe that nobody has mentioned a modded HDS U60, or if you can wait another month a Novatac U120. One thing that alot of flashlights lack is an ultra low and a screaming high, both of which the HDS handles nicely. Another great feature is the ability to use rechargeables and have them completly protected. My modded U60 is by far my favorite flashlight, and in my opinion one of the finest flashlights on the planet. Highly recomended. I also noticed that you have started 2 other posts asking the same question and have recieved many suggestions. Just get a Novatac dude.

Spypro

Enlightened
I'm not interested in the Novatac. I don't like their look... well this my personal view of them but their specification are pretty good.
I'll wait for Mike to answer my questions to apply a choice.
Thanks for the recommendations !

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
I can answer some of your questions as i have a Defender II see here, and i am sure Mike will be along and correct them and add to them later.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/165790

You will only get your 2 stages of output from the Defender II or i think mike is about to release a weapons version which has a high/strobe output

If you are only running the 1 x 18650 then you are better off to buy the 3.7-6V LA (which is the LA that comes with the Defender II), as i understand it the 3.7-13V LA is not regulated with a single 18650.

Mike has already quoted runtimes for the LA, although he hasn't for the Defender II, i believe he isn't stocking it, runtime on high is the same at 110 minutes regulated with 30 mintues unregulated and low is quoted at 20 lumens for 50 hours. Never tried this myself.

What's the difference between the Defender II and the I?

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Hi Mike ! Thanks for the answers !
I have some questions:
Can I use the CH-02 charger to charge other battery than the LRB168A ?
Is there two stages of output ?
Is the 3.7-13v module can take the LRB168A and 18650 ?
What is the runtime with 18650 battery ?

I would like to use RCR123A or rechargeable 18650.
Which one is the best ? Which one gives the best runtime on high mode ? And also runtime with 18650 ?
Do you have suggestions for the 18650 battery ? Those who will give the best runtime, highess mah ?

Thanks !
Hi Spypro,
The CH-02 Charger is meant for Wolf Eyes LRB type batteries and works with the battery's overcharge protection. It may work with other fully protected batteries but I can't recommend it. Charging anything other than Wolf Eyes batteries would void the warranty.
There is only one output level, the multi stage lights will be available in about two weeks
The 3.7-13V Cree module will run on the LRB168A/18650 but not in regulation mode as this module needs at least 5V to run regulated. If your going to be running 2-CR123 or LRB168A/18650 get the standard 3.7-6V module since its more efficient at the lower voltages.
I don't have a runtime for the 3.7-13V module on a LRB168A battery but the runtime for the 3.7-6V is (1x168A battery): 110 minutes with regulated output, 30 minutes with unregulated output.

As far as batteries are concerned if you go rechargeable the best battery would be the LRB168A with the Wolf Eyes fast charger (charges in 3hrs or less).

Originally Posted by Dinan
Ah I see. So with the 18650 unregulated it stays at full power for 30 mins and then begins to diminish slowly?

That clears up a lot, thanks! (btw do you ship to the UK?)
Actually it stays at full power for 110 minutes and then you get 30min of dimming light.
Yes we ship international but can not ship batteries

Originally Posted by Dinan
What's the difference between the Defender II and the I?
The Defender II is a 2 stage (high/low) operated by twisting the bezel and the Defender I is one stage (high).
With the new Digital Cree modules coming out the two stages will be operated by the clicky making one handed operation very easy. We are not going to have the two stage (high/low) until some time in August.

Spypro

Enlightened
I will wait for the multi outputs version ;)
I hope that we can pre-order.

jbviau

Enlightened
As far as I know, only Glen C (in Australia) is selling the 2-stage Defender 2 right now. You change stages by twisting the bezel. See this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/166197

It seems that Mike@PTS is going to stock a different 2-stage in the U.S. later this summer. With his, you'll change stages by clicking. There will also be a 4-stage version.

Hope that helps...

Spypro

Enlightened
Thanks ! It helps :)
So I wonder if it is better to change mode by clicking or turning the bezel.
I'll wait to see an answer from Mike about the availability of the 2 stages or multiple stages in USA.

Spypro

Enlightened
The only thing that I'm afraid of is to see Wolf-Eyes discontinuing the LRB168A battery. Also, the LRB168A are somewhat expensive compared to 18650 or RCR123A.
How much cycles charge can they take ?

Thansk!

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spypro, that's what I call self control.....72 posts and still no light? :)....in my case I already had about four of them by then, or was it six.....go on bite the bullet, get yourself a light....any light....start the addiction and have a good time.....

Spypro

Enlightened
I'm already addicted :D
I'm waiting for the multiple stages version but Mike told that they do not ship battery here in Canada... I wonder why.
If it is the case I will take the D2AX II version without the charger and I'll buy 2 x 18650 + charger. The thing is that I don't know a website that ship battery to Canada.

Spypro

Enlightened
Thank for the advice.
I think I will stick with my WE idea.
I'll wait for the multiple stages version.
But I'm afraid of this "non-shipping battery to Canada" thing.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incorrect. The M1 is regulated but because it has flexible power input levels (aka it takes a number of different battery types)the regulation cannot be optimized for every input voltage (3.6-8.4V) so the regulation is optimized for CR123A's. That doesn't mean that it's not regulated on an 18650 - it's simply optimized for a different voltage.

Hi Dinan,
The Graph on Flashlight Reviews indicates that the Lumapower is not regulated and starts to dim from the beginning while the Wolf Eyes is fully regulated and stays the same brightness during the regulation period. Once the voltage from the LRB168A/18650 battery falls below the required amount the lamp goes into a non regulated mode (like the Lumapower's entire battery life) and gives diminishing useful light until the battery shuts it's self down at the low voltage cut off. With full regulation you get the maximum amount of light and Wolf Eyes designed it to fall out of regulation with useful diminishing light so you know when your light needs a charge or new batteries.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank for the advice.
I think I will stick with my WE idea.
I'll wait for the multiple stages version.
But I'm afraid of this "non-shipping battery to Canada" thing.

Not sure about the postal situation in Canada but I got all my batteries and charger from AW here on CPF....cant seem to find the thread right now....