Raleigh could be first LED city!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This was covered pretty extensively in the local paper and on TV a few days ago. With Cree being headquarted just a few miles away they get lots of press. I haven't seen that particular parking garage yet.

Geoff

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a few years general lighting will change over to LED, they are just pushing implementation forward - no doubt with some help from Cree.

A lot of cities already have been rolling out LED stop lights to eliminate costly bulb changes. The labor (and fuss to traffic) to change a stop light is in the thousands of dollars. The energy cost difference is relatively minimal.

Illum

Flashaholic
Imagine entire office buildings with this...no more mercury gas fulled florescent bulbs, no more replaceable ballasts...pure, unflickering light:naughty:

Thanks for the link:goodjob:

Lumbee1

Newly Enlightened
I live in Raleigh. I might make a trip downtown to see if they are outfitting the parking deck with CREE XR-E's.

orionlion82

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
Imagine entire office buildings with this...no more mercury gas fulled florescent bulbs, no more replaceable ballasts...pure, unflickering light:naughty:

Thanks for the link:goodjob:

LED's will still have "ballasts" infortunately.

I got all excited thinking about the weight decrease and how much lighter a 2X4 might get.... no ballasts, just a board and bulbs...
all sorts of options open...

but then i realized LED's might not like direct drive at 277V...

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imagine entire office buildings with this...no more mercury gas fulled florescent bulbs, no more replaceable ballasts...pure, unflickering light
I actually don't mind the 20,000 Hz flickering of most fluorescent lights, in fact most of the time I don't even notice it.

I actually made a post about this exact topic in yet another thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/153270 These threads should probably all be merged together.

Last edited: