LiteFlux LF2 mini review (updated lux reading and runtime on 3/7)

NetKidz

Enlightened
LiteFlux LF2 mini review (6/4 updated with SSC P4 runtime)

EDIT: 7/2 updated with SSC P4 lux reading at 1m
EDIT: 6/4 updated with SSC P4 runtime
EDIT: 5/19 updated with SSC P4 version
EDIT: 3/7 updated lux reading and runtime with 10440 for new firmware.

LF2 is the first flashlight in new "beacon" series manufactured by LiteFlux. It has a 2-stage mechanical switch and MCU controlled circuit with 4 operation modes and 5 functions. There're some discussion about it: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150055

Official Product pages: LF2 Cree XR-E Version (There's a Quick start manual with flowchart)

Spec:
  • Two model: Cree XR-E and SSC P4
  • Size: XR-E model: 80mm(L) x 14mm (D), SSC P4 model: 76mm(L) x 14mm (D)
  • Made of aircraft grade aluminum
  • HA III Hard anodized finish
  • Battery : single AAA (Alkaline,Ni-MH,Lithium) batteries
  • single 10440 Li-Ion is available
  • Switch : twist
  • Input voltage : 0.9V ~ 5.0V
  • 4 operation modes
  • 6 user defined output
  • 1 user adjusted output
  • 4 functions
  • Weight : 17g (excluding battery)
  • Waterproof
  • Glass lens with AR coating
  • Candle mode available
  • Accessories : plastic light cover,O-ring,silicon oil
  • Wood gift box
The packaging and contains:
LF2-01.jpg

LF2-02.jpg

My LF2 comes with a diffuser, 3 o-rings and a sheet of operation manual.

Size comparision with LF1:
LF2-03.jpg

With diffuser:
LF2-09.jpg

The LF2 doesn't look fancy, it has two flat surface and two slots on the tube. You could install some tritium vials in the body slots or use some glow-in-the-dark paint to make it easier to find in the dark. The tube tail has two holes and two short slots for attaching lanyard and keychain ring. There's no notch, thus attaching a keychain ring may affect the tail-stand ability (Someone suggested LiteFlux already).

Disassembled:
LF2-06.jpg

Head and tail:
LF2-07.jpg
LF2-08.jpg

Inner head and tube:
LF2-04.jpg
LF2-05.jpg

LF2 with diffuser and LF1 with LargeHead and diffuser:
LF2-diffuser01.jpg

Some Beam shots:
LF2-LF1-beam-00.jpg

EV 0.0
LF2-beam-03.jpg

EV -0.9
LF2-beam-02.jpg

EV -1.5
LF2-beam-01.jpg

LF1 (1xAA) at left and LF2 at right:
EV 0.0
LF2-LF1-beam-01.jpg

EV -0.9
LF2-LF1-beam-02.jpg

EV -1.5
LF2-LF1-beam-03.jpg

The beam shots aren't good. I'll re-take them after I get my new DC.

LF2 has 4 operation modes and 5 useful functions. It's good that you could directly select any mode or function at any time, there's no need to cycle through each of them.

4 Operation mode:
  1. Standard mode: Two user configurable output levels. (Using programming function to set and store)
  2. Manual mode: Adjustable output level, you could adjust it on the fly from 0.2% to 100% (256 levels, Default to 50%). It won't be saved after you leave this mode.
  3. Strobe mode: Two user configurable strobe mode. Both the output level and strobe pattern are configurable. (127x127 patterns)
  4. SOS mode: Two user configurable output levels. The SOS signal pattern is fixed.
5 Functions:
  1. Programming function: Most important function of LF2 used to configure the standard, strobe and SOS mode.
  2. Battery voltage report function: Use the flash pattern to report the battery voltage.
  3. Demo function: It'll demo through all modes.
  4. Rechargable battery over-discharge protection: It'll set the proper limit automatically for NiMH and Li-ion. When the voltage drop to 3.0v for Li-ion and 1.0v for NiMH, it starts to flash 3 times every 40 seconds. When the voltage drop to 2.8v for Li-ion and 0.8v for NiMH, it'll do fast strobe about 8 seconds, then turn off the light. (It still drains about 1mA, so swap the batt before it drop into this state).
  5. Reset function: If you mess up something or want to restore the default, select this function will clear the EEPROM and restore the factory defaults.
Here's the operation brief I posted before:
=========
Removed. Please refer to official quick start manual on LiteFlux web site.
============
(There're some flow charts in the operation manual, I think they should be clear than my writing)

It may look very complicate at first, but after using it, I feel it's not so hard. :) It'll jump to the previous mode when switch on. If using the standard mode most of the time, just 1/4 turn(P1) or another 1/4 (P2) will go to my two favorite output levels. If it's not in standard mode, just 1x SW will quickly jump to standard mode.

Since the input voltage range is wide, basically any AAA battery will fit. But be careful with 10440 li-ion rechargable batteries. LF2 will drain over 600mA when using Li-ion with 100% output. I think it's over the recommended 1.5C discharge rate.

LF2 output level is controlled by PWM, but the frequency is high (7.8KHz). I couldn't feel the flickering even in lowest level (0.2%). I could easily feel it with my JETBeam C-LE and MK.II X. One problem is sometimes the output isn't stable, I only have one LF2 and not sure if it's only in my LF2. I'll got another LF2 with SSC P4 when available, and I'll compare them.

I didn't have other AAA sized flashlights at hand to compare with, but I think I won't buy another one. :naughty:

Updated on 2/22
=====
Lux Reading at 1m (factory default P1 and P2):

10440:
100%: 590
50%: 281
0.2%: 3
P1: 76
P2: 288

NiMH:
100%: 248
50%: 132
0.2%: 1
P1: 36
P2: 129

Here's my LF1 with 1AA NiMH for reference:
High: 305
Low: 37
(Seems too low for my LF1?)

=====
Runtime Chart:

Tests were done in my closet. No light box or similar device used, the reading is directly take from the sensor and distance of the lux meter and light was about 40cm. Reading was taken at 1min interval.

I use eneloop AAA to do the run time. They were tested 804, 802 and 796mAh at 500mA discharging rate on my MAHA MH-C9000. When testing with Alkaline batteries, the overdischarge protection was turned OFF, and turned ON with NiMH batteries.

Alkaline battery (Energizer LR03 AAA):
LF2-runtime-Alkaline.gif

NiMH battery (eneloop 800mAh):
LF2-runtime-NiMH.gif

Almost a flat line with factory default P1 output. :)

10440 (320mAh):

LF2-runtime-Liion-new.gif

The unstable output and output level were fixed with the new firmware. The runtime of 10440 seems not very smooth but I couldn't feel it with my naked eyes. I didn't do a 100% runtime since the current may exceed the recommended discharging rate of 10440.

Updated on 3/3:
=============

Factory Default Settings:
LF2-default.gif

Added on 3/7:
===========
Just took a photo to demonstrate the PWM feeling. As I said before, LF2 uses PWM but I couldn't feel the flickering with the lowest 0.2% output. I use another JETBeam flashlights as reference, and you could feel the frequency difference. All flashlights are using one NiMH battery and adjuest to lowest setting. Top is LF2 (0.2%), middle is C-LE (low) and the bottom is MK.II X (5%):

LF2-CLE-MK2X-PWM.jpg

==== 5/19 Updated with SSC P4 version ====
Just got the SSC P4 version of LF2 this morning. :devil: Here's a quick comparison.

The XR-E is 80mm, and SSC is 77mm:
LF2-SSC-Cree-01.jpg

(Upper is SSC P4 version)

Head shots: (Left is XR-E, right is SSC P4)
LF2-SSC-Cree-02.jpg

The reflector of SSC P4 is shallower and it's about 4.5mm. The XR-E version is deeper, about 8mm.

LF2-SSC-Cree-03.jpg

The OP reflector of XR-E is heavier.

LF2-SSC-Cree-04.jpg

LF2-SSC-Cree-05.jpg

The SSC P4 is put on the anodized head cap and the center hole of reflector is larger.

Beam shot around 20cm: (Left is XR-E, right is SSC P4)
both use NiMH and in P2 position. DC isn't white balanced.

EV -0.9
LF2-SSC-Cree-beam-0.jpg

EV +0.0
LF2-SSC-Cree-beam-0-1.jpg

EV +0.9
LF2-SSC-Cree-beam0.jpg

It's a great floody light for short distance use. :D

==== 6/4 Updated with SSC P4 version ====
It's roughly about 2/3 of Cree version. Maybe a higer Vf? :shrug:

Alkaline battery (Energizer LR03 AAA):
LF2-SSC-runtime-Alkaline.gif

NiMH battery (eneloop 800mAh):
LF2-SSC-runtime-NiMH.gif

10440 (360mAh, started from 4.13v):
LF2-SSC-runtime-Liion.gif

Updated on 7/2
=====
SSC P4 Lux Reading at 1m (factory default P1 and P2):

NiMH:
100%: 256
P2: 140
P1: 41
0.2%: 2

10440:
100%: 565
P2: 270
P1: 66
0.2%: 2

Last edited:

bray

Newly Enlightened
Re: LiteFlux LF2 mini review (runtime in progress... )

very nice. very nice. when do these lights go up for sale?

gunga

Flashaholic

Hmmm,

while the lite and features are pretty fantastic, I'm a little unsure about the UI. I plan to pick up a few lights, and trying to remember all the complicated UI's might make this a no go. In any case, perhaps I'll see how other people handle it.

Thanks for the info Netkidz! I still eagerly await this light (and it's price point!).

Perfectionist

Enlightened

Need a comparison review with the L0P !!

Stef

Newly Enlightened

Amazing UI, natural finish and a lanyard as the LF1 it will be the best AAA flashlight. I waits the price and a beam comparison with LOD CE.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you for the mini review
I like the light for programmable levels with a low-low desired that I can determine. Tightening the tail for off is a great idea, no lost tail caps from keeping them loose. Another added bonus is the light will turn on in low mode to let you know that the cap is not tight enough.
Flashaholic proof! :thumbsup:

LED Cool

Enlightened

hi netkidz,

:goodjob: :thumbsup: :twothumbs. I envy you guys who got the LF2!

khoo

x2x3x2

Banned

Thats the most modes i've seen in a light!

Dunno how it will affect usability on daily use tho, seems like a little steep learning curve to gain familiarity. Loosen to on reminds me of the Mag Solitaire, i think using a swistie for the plethora of modes is a bad idea. Nobody's gonna remember to turn it 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn, the diamter of the light is so small.

We should be able to take a torch out and obtain the desired mode without looking like we're trying to crack a safe! :p I'm looking forward to the larger versions, hopefully they'll come in clicky form.

Glen C

Enlightened

Tremendous review, Netkidz. Thank you

ruralott

Newly Enlightened

Great review, thank you !!!

Since the input voltage range is wide, basically any AAA battery will fit. But be careful with 10440 li-ion rechargable batteries. LF2 will drain over 600mA when using Li-ion with 100% output. I think it's over the recommended 1.5C discharge rate.
That's not too too bad. LOD-CE draws 1.11A on high (linky).
Lux reading: (Will measure them when I've done the runtime test)
:popcorn:

ydna

Newly Enlightened

Fenix L0Dce vs Liteflux LF2
IMG_1221_resize.JPG

Left: Fenix L0Dce, Right: Liteflux LF2
IMG_1225_resize.JPG

L0Dce High @ AAA
IMG_1251_resize.JPG

LF2 100 @ AAA(I'm not sure it's 100% right now, settings quite complicated)
IMG_1254_resize.JPG

L0Dce High @ 10440
IMG_1257_resize.JPG

LF2 100% @ 10440 (not sure again)
IMG_1259_resize.JPG

martonic

Enlightened

This UI sounds like it was developed on April First.:eeksign:

NetKidz

Enlightened
Re: LiteFlux LF2 mini review (Lux reading and runtime added)

I've updated the lux reading and runtime. The runtime of 10440 is odd and I've asked LiteFlux what's going on. This is a small production run of a small group buy. It may also be a pilot run, since others have some small problem with the light. I think LiteFlux would fix them before the mass production. :)

About the UI, I think it's fine, not too hard, just need some practice with the programming function. If you only want to use it, turn on it and you're set. No need to practice at all.

About the P1 and P2 position, or switch action. Not need to be at exactly 1/4 turn. I didn't have a DV to take the operating action, but ydna had subtitled the short video taked by LiteFlux:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1856835&postcount=94
Beside the twisty action, you could do the switch action like reverse clickie at the P2 position. I think it's easier.

@ydna,
Thanks for the comparison of L0D CE. :thumbsup:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wowzers that's a lot of functions, modes, and combinations! I guess it's nice to be able to program it to your exact preferences, but dang it'll take a while to get used to it first and learn it.
Looks nice tho. How much are these?

farscape105

Newly Enlightened

Looks to me like the LOD on 10440's is much brighter than LF2, provided it was on highest level.

NetKidz

Enlightened
Updated the lux reading and runtime of new firmware with 10440. Now it's 2.5W with Li-ion battery and the unstable output with Li-ion battery was fixed. :)