WP's Review of the DRACO by Modamag

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I just want to tell you guys to BUY THIS LIGHT! WOW! What a light! I can't believe I didn't buy it sooner! Well, first things first....I am reviewing my light that I got today... recently purchased from Modamag's sales thread. Here's a pic:

dracotiqv2.jpg

This is the Titanium version with the totally butt-kicking AlTiN coating and running a CREE XRE.

The above image pretty much tells you what you need to know about the quality of workmanship.....it is absolutely beautiful to behold. Rarely do I see such attention to detail and perfection in build. Really well done!

The beam profile is really GREAT! I'd be hard pressed to see any artifacts (which is hard to believe for a light this size, running a CREE XRE). The hotspot is well defined and the spill is nice and bright. No tint....just very, very white.

The LED is powered by the FluPic Version 2 made by Goldserve. Works well.... high is nice and bright. A ceiling bounce test confirms that the Draco is visibly brighter than my Ti-PD-S Mizer (runs a Seoul P4 @ approx. 300mA). I would peg the output conservatively at perhaps 60 lumens. Low is super low.... :thumbsup:

Operation is simple twisty. VERY smooth and effortless.

Awwwwww FORGET THIS REVIEW....

JUST GO OUT AND BUY IT!!! I'm getting another one for my wife..... the moment she saw it, she started claiming it for her own. And my wife is extremely critical of my flashlight collection....

JUST BUY IT! If you want to try it out first, jch79 and Modamag is organizing a passaround here. Get in on it while you can.

:thumbsup: WP

jefft

Enlightened
So, WP, how do you _really_ feel about this light? :)
I agree with you 100%. I purchased _2_ from the original run.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
Awwwwww FORGET THIS REVIEW....
:laughing: I totally agree - talk is cheap: with this light, the proof is in the pudding. Skip the passaround and just buy one! (I can't say that in the passaround thread, since I'm asking people to join it!). If you're skeptical, sign up, check it out, and THEN you'll buy one! :)

When I come home, and the keys go on the shelf, my TiAlN Draco usually somehow finds its way off of my keychain and onto a neck lanyard :) :shrug:

Great pic Donald - not that I'd expect anything otherwise! You've really got that color balance DOWN!

:wave: john

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I have been preaching to everyone I meet...buy the light, buy the light...

GEEZ!

=p

PS: Amazing photo!!!

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful pic. I ordered a chrome version a few days ago. you are making me consider a 2nd.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice pixs WP!

would you be so kind to take a size comparison pic against the arc aaa.

how much more brighter is it compared to your MillerMod's arc aaa?

Yota

Newly Enlightened
THE_dAY said:
nice pixs WP!

That is a great question to ask. I wanted to know the same thing.
I need a new keychain light and I'am torn between the arc aaa with the millermod or the great looking draco. Someone anyone post up the pic and beam shots would be great too. thanks

Yota

Newly Enlightened
THE_dAY said:
nice pixs WP!

sorry double post

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the direct size comparison (pales to John's comparison, but can be useful):

millerdracoib7.jpg

Here are beamshots on high (MillerModded Arc AAA LEFT, DRACO Right):

beamshothighem0.jpg

UNDEREXPOSURE:
beamshothighunderexes1.jpg

Miller Mod is a CREE XRE P4-WH, 240mA (0.75 watt)/ 25mA.

Please note that the lights were held at an angle to the wall, so they look a bit skewed, but at least you can see the output comparisons. NOTE THE FLAWLESS BEAM OF THE DRACO!!!! :rock: The MillerMod has a much warmer beam....the Draco is neutral in tint.

Comparison done with freshly charged batteries in both lights.

Hope this helps.

WP

jch79

WAVE_PARTICLE said:
Here's the direct size comparison (pales to John's comparison, but can be useful):
That was 4sevens' photo, FYI... and stop being modest Donald! ;)

WAVE_PARTICLE said:
NOTE THE FLAWLESS BEAM OF THE DRACO!!!! :rock:
You AIN'T kiddin'! I still can't get over the quality of the beam.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
WP, thankyou for taking the pix of the size comparison and beamshots!

those are two absolutely beautiful lights.

i would have to lean towards the arc though:) its a little longer but the runtime should be significantly better.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have (2) from the first run as well, a body for an AAA Li-on (10440) can be used.........picture shows body with Turbohead, same body (AAA) now sports Cree upgrade with head as on samller shown. Draco's are unbelievably small and bright.

123584856-M.jpg

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
jch79 said:
When I come home, and the keys go on the shelf, my TiAlN Draco usually somehow finds its way off of my keychain and onto a neck lanyard :) :shrug:

How do you fasten your Draco to your keychain, that it is easily removed and transfered to a neck lanyard?

I've got mine on one of the smaller sized McGizmo clips, but after reading the scare thread about the clips coming lose by themselves, I'm searching for a better way to carry it, although, I've yet to have any problems with it coming lose.

jch79

Trashman said:
How do you fasten your Draco to your keychain, that it is easily removed and transfered to a neck lanyard?

I've got mine on one of the smaller sized McGizmo clips, but after reading the scare thread about the clips coming lose by themselves, I'm searching for a better way to carry it, although, I've yet to have any problems with it coming lose.
I use a McGizmo clip as well. It has yet to pop off... knock on wood. I am just mindful of it - not paranoid, but mindful.

My arrangement is similar to jeffb's - here's a photo (I'd take a better picture of the clip, but I left my camera at work this weekend.)

mg0219smoz8.jpg

john

Russianesq

Enlightened
What a light.
Here are a few more pics to compare.
The Draco is so bright.

I think it is even brighter then 60 Lumens. Is there any more info on the output of this baby dragon.

Draco-005.jpg

Draco-011.jpg