Tri-Cree in a petzl zoom

zgurl

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I re-discovered this week end my (very) old Petzl Zoom. It seems a nice host for modding since it is so easy to open and has a wide area inside availlable for heatsinking, 3 LEDs and optics/reflector. The battery box is also perfect for 4x18650...

But my question is about heating... If I put 3 Crees driven at 350-500 mA, it will certainly create some heat that will be har dto dissipate out of the head since it is hermetic (for waterproofness) and made of plastic. I am affraid the plastic could be damaged by the heat, but also that the LED cannot properly function becasue of high temperature.

Any idea about this?

Anyway if using a tri-Cree inside is non-sens because of too much heating, I will be able to get the battery holder to be modified into a perfect 4x18650 case :)

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm... 3 crees driven at 350mA doesn't sound like it would create a whole lot of heat though. @ 500mA possibly. but i still doubt it would create enough to hinder a lot of performance.

zgurl

Newly Enlightened
mikeh said:
That looks great, but how does the heat get out? 10W could get very hot without plenty of metal-air surface area. A big chunk of metal inside only works for so long. Can anyone explain?
That is exactly what I was affraid of...