Dereelight CL1H - another user's opinions

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
size_comparison.jpg

If I had to describe this light in one word, it would be easy: robust.

Of all the lights I own, I dare say my new Dereelight CL1H is the most robust. Of course, that is purely based on disassembly and handling: I don't yet have the carry time to definitively honor it with the title. But there are a number of crucial details that are pushing me in that direction.

The first thing that struck me in disassembling this light is that nothing (except for the batteries) is loose. You can unscrew any single component and no other component will spring out at you or drop to the floor. You can remove the tailcap to feed it batteries and no matter how hard you push the clickie, it isn't coming loose: it's threaded in and requires further unscrewing to access. You can remove the bezel to get to the emitter, but nothing drops to the ground: the reflector is screwed into the bezel and the emitter is screwed into the connector (not sure what to call it, but it connects the body to the bezel). Everything is a captured assembly: everything stays put.

four_main_parts.jpg

threaded_parts.jpg

If you want a light that can swap modules at lightning speed, you might consider this a hindrance: after all, replacing the stock module with a drop-in from another brand takes quite a few steps (details later). But I really appreciate the fact that nothing is loose, nothing rattles, and nothing drops free (minus the batteries).

The next thing I noticed was that every major point of disassembly holds two separate grooves capable of fitting o-rings. For the most part, only one groove comes fitted with an o-ring (except for where the tailcap screws on, which is already fitted with two) but the presentation box contains a bag of spare o-rings. There are enough spares that you can immediately double-up on each point of contact (which I was all too happy to do). The only exception to the double-o-ring rule is the point between reflector and lens, which of course only fits one o-ring.

dual_slots.jpg

The light is not without its faults. I found the threading to be quite rough out of the box. A liberal application of silicon grease at all joints had me pleased, however. I wouldn't exactly call it smooth now, but there is no binding or grinding. I'd say its current tightness is almost "just right." I know the light won't easily switch between hi/lo in my pocket or change focus (I chose the SSC emitter).

The clip screws are ever-so-slightly stripped at the head, which other users seem to have experienced as well. It's not so much that it would prevent me from using the screws, but I won't say that I'm comfortable removing and replacing the clip over and over again.

Overall output is towards the upper tier of my lights, but nothing to really write home about (call it a B+ student, ha). Its high setting is clearly beaten by my handful of Cree drop-ins (Solatek/Calvinmo/DX) and its low setting isn't really that low. This is probably my chief complaint of the light: high not bright enough, low not nearly dim enough. If I'm turning on the light fresh with nothing to compare against, I sometimes can't tell whether I've turned it on in high or low. But overall, it still beats any Luxeon I own, so I have to remind myself how much my expectations have shifted in the last few months. I will try to get beamshots together at some point, but they can be a bit of a pain sometimes.

emitter.jpg

Overall, the light is somewhat longer than a G2/6P, but just a hair shorter than a 6P with a shock isolated bezel. I find it a great size for pocket carry, especially with the bezel down clip.

The CL1H fits D26 modules, including my Cree drop-ins. It's worth noting here, however, that since the stock Dereelight modules use backwards battery orientation (positive towards tailcap) and most drop-ins use 'standard' battery orientation, it's easy to get mixed up. It's also necessary to use the included screw for proper battery contact if you choose to use a setup that orients the positive side towards the head. It's no big deal when you think it all out, but this means that swapping to a non-dereelight drop-in requires the following steps from the SSC setup: disassemble light, unscrew reflector from bezel, unscrew emitter from connector, install contact screw into tailcap, reverse battery orientation, drop in new unit, reassemble. Also, as mentioned in other reviews, the high/low option is built into the Dereelight module itself, so don't expect a 3rd party drop-in to suddenly have high/low capabilities.

Overall fit and finish, while not flawless, is still pleasing. The anodizing is better executed than on my VitalGear, for example, but still has lines here and there where it isn't perfect. You really have to inspect closely to find fault, however, and I've never cared much about that kind of thing.

The clickie is smooth and works great for momentary light (true forward clickie). Each function of the light is controlled at a different point which makes for an extremely simple user interface. The tailcap only serves for on/off, the connector rotates between high and low, and the bezel rotates to focus the beam (if you choose the SSC unit). I like the simplicity of design and the fact that I can turn the light on and off at whatever brightness/focus I last used.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the body but only mildly pleased with the actual module. That's fine though: I'll run it for a while like this and if I don't like it I'll just toss in one of my Cree drop-ins for higher output (at the cost of no 'low' level). That was part of my thinking when ordering this light in the first place, actually. I think this will make a great host body but won't necessarily wow you in its stock form.

I'm sure there are many details I'm leaving out (like the fact that it uses a smooth reflector but may one day be offered with OP) but there seems to be a fair amount written about this light right now.

Edited to add beamshot comparison. Small version is below.
Medium sized version of the same image is here
And here's a large version if you want to get really nitpicky about the beams

beam-comparison-small.jpg

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DX drop-ins are only rated at 85 lumens. So you're saying the Dereelight on High is less than 85 lumens? Are you comparing the hot spot only or looking at output via a bounce mode test?

Thanks.

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
Hi jsr,

I was eyeballing the beam at a 15-20 foot distance last night. I took a quick and crappy beamshot this morning to give a rough idea, but this time I was comparing the beams really close to a wall. In this setup it looks like a much closer race. The SSC flood quickly spreads to the point where it looks like it's gone at a distance though, and that hotspot opens up a lot faster than the Cree, which is perhaps why I thought it was so much dimmer when viewing at a longer distance last night.

Edit - Removed crappy beamshot from this post as better ones were added to the first post.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
TOTC - thanks for the additional beam shots. The best way to do a visual output comparison that negates beam pattern is a ceiling bounce test where you aim the light at the ceiling, bouncing the light off the ceiling, and looking at objects or print around you to see which light provides more output. Looks pretty close in your pics, but hotspots can be deceiving for total output. Would you mind doing a ceiling bounce check?

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
jsr said:
...Would you mind doing a ceiling bounce check?
Sure, I'll give it a shot when I get home later tonight. The only inhibiting factor is that my place has a steeply sloped cathedral ceiling: almost as much of a wall as it is a ceiling. I'll see what I can do though.

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, JKL, I appreciate it

jsr - I just did a ceiling bounce test and I really couldn't definitively tell a difference in overall output between my Cree drop-ins and the SSC. One second I was convinced it was one, the next I would change my mind. So I guess my earlier judgment was too biased towards beam profile differences.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks TOTC! Much appreciated. So it seems like the Dereelight is about equal output to the Cree drop-ins. I wonder if the output drops in 15 minutes to 85 lumens like the Cree drop-ins from DX and Kai do.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great and thorough review TOTC, it's appreciated. I agree on you that the high and low are too close. Looks like the cree version is brighter, but the low is still too high. I'm very tempted to get this light after your review, the introduction price is VERY tempting and the very solid construction and momentary on is just icing on the cake, but I still have to watch my wallet, and don't think I REALLY need the light at the moment.

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
Added some beamshots to the first post. The CL1H SSC is definitely pushing more than 85 lumens. I have not used my DX drop-in long enough to see a drop in brightness, but the Solatek is well regulated and does not drop so I used it for the above. And just for other comparison I threw in my L2DCE. All in all, the CL1H's module has grown on me: I'm not really complaining any more as to the high setting.

Another thing to note: I tried the flat tailcap boot so that it could tailstand, because that is a feature I appreciate in a light. With the flatter, more recessed boot in, however, the switch becomes exceedingly difficult to click all the way on with your thumb. I really couldn't stand it so I switched back to the regular boot which allows easier clickie use. Too bad, because this light would especially make a great 'candle' since you can unscrew the bezel and just expose the emitter, tossing up a huge wall of light that easily illuminates a room.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great shots TOTC! Thanks!

The CL1H does look dimmer than the Solatek, and a bit dimmer (same hotspot, but dimmer spill) than the L2D. Some of the issues others have had with the CL1H with the low output LEDs concerns me tho.

JKL

Enlightened
Very interesting and useful,thanks again TOTC :naughty:

Last edited: