Fenix P2D runtimes

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix P2D - max - AW 750mAh high current RCR123: 1936 (est 138.29 lumens) (dropping to 1518 in 10 minutes 48 seconds (est 108.43 lumens)
Fenix P2D - max - AW 500mAh LiFePO4: 1539 (est 109.93 lumens)
Fenix P2D - max - Energizer E2 CR123a: 1534 (est 109.57 lumens)
Fenix P2D - max - AW 3v regulated RCR123: 1519 (est 108.5 lumens)

Fenix%20P2D%20-%20max.png

Estimated lumens

Fenix%20P2D%20-%20max%20-%20estimated%20lumens.png

Fenix P2D - high - AW 500mAh LiFePO4: 907 (est 64.79 lumens)
Fenix P2D - high - AW 3v regulated RCR123: 898 (est 64.14 lumens)
Fenix P2D - high - Energizer E2 CR123a: 895 (est 63.93 lumens)

Fenix%20P2D%20-%20high.png

Fenix P2D - medium - AW 500mAh LiFePO4: 560 (est 40 lumens) (dropping to 459 in 58 seconds (est 32.79 lumens)
Fenix P2D - medium - AW 3v regulated RCR123: 459 (est 32.79 lumens)
Fenix P2D - medium - Energizer E2 CR123a: 449 (est 32.07 lumens)

Fenix%20P2D%20-%20medium.png

Fenix P2D - low - AW 500mAh LiFePO4: 589 (est 42.07 lumens) (dropping to 124 in 4 hours 29 minutes (est 8.86 lumens)
Fenix P2D - low - Energizer E2 CR123a: 329 (est 23.5 lumens) (dropping to 124 in 1 minute 47 seconds (est 8.86 lumens)
Fenix P2D - low - AW 3V regulated RCR123: 264 (est 18.86 lumens) (dropping to 124 in 1 hour 52 minutes (est 8.86 lumens)

Fenix%20P2D%20-%20low.png

The LiFePO4 cells seem to be the way to go if you want to use rechargeables, but you mostly lose low mode. I let it run for a while once it started regulating and when I shut it off and pulled the cell it measured 1.66v. You really arent supposed to go below 2v with those cells, but I don't think it hurt it.

If you use primary cells, this light really performs extremely well on them.

The forward voltage of this LED must be pretty low, lower than any of the other Fenix XR-E lights I'd previously tested since it was overdriven for so long on Max.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome stuff once again. You realize, I've come to rely on you and your work, don't you? You seem to know just the info I'm looking for and deliver. thank you!

As far as the P2D goes: I don't see a HUGE difference in actual usage between Max and High. However, the runtime is almost triple on a primary cell. It's going to be High for me from now on, unless I need a quick burst all of a sudden.

3 hrs runtime on a primary and with that amount of output is pretty good in my book! Looking forward to seeing what the P3D brings to the table...

:goodjob:

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
Pretty amazing on the low-output times on primaries. Basically the light of a 2AA minimag for over 30 hrs on a single Pri.

Man, I wish I had one of these 20 years ago in Boy Scouts. Used to have to carry 4 sets of Ni-Cads for the little guy for a single 3-day camping trip, and about every 6 sets of ni-cads, I'd have to change the bulb. This would have been a godsend.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks alot Chevro! I was hoping that you would be posting this info some time today. :)

I don't know if it is possible or not, but do you think you could combine some graphs to show differences between lights. I was thinking maybe combining the high on the P1DCE to the max of the P2D? Thanks :rock:

scottaw

Enlightened
Is anyone else's switch not consistent? Sometimes when i turn the light on, it makes the click noise, nothing happens, press for click again, and it turns on. Not every time, but should i return it? Id hate to return it b/c it seems i have the only one with a perfectly centered led.

Krit

Enlightened
Seem that primary cr123a is very good for long run time use. Thanks for review.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice graphs, although from your stats i think your led was not being puched enough since the runtimes with the standard battery were longer than advertised and lower lumen ratings?

I wonder if thats an isolated instance or if they are underpowered. They advertise higher lumen so i would think this is isolated to a batch or something?

Good work :sold:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
scottaw said:
Is anyone else's switch not consistent? Sometimes when i turn the light on, it makes the click noise, nothing happens, press for click again, and it turns on. Not every time, but should i return it? Id hate to return it b/c it seems i have the only one with a perfectly centered led.

Like dts71 said you can just return the switch. Email David first about your problem. The switch on my L1D was bad and I emailed David about it and he told me he would send me another complete tailcap and to return the bad one when I got it.

chanamasala

Enlightened
Does anyone know if once one of AWs 3.7v RCR123s enters regulation on max in the P2D, will you then have all the differnet levels, i.e. low, med, strobe, etc

edit: answered in another post.

Last edited:

PurpleDrazi

Newly Enlightened
scottaw said:

My recently acquired L2D CE does the same thing. Assuming the anatomy of the P2D is similar, try giving the head a slight twist right after you click and the light does not go on.

In my case, the light would turn on. Thinking it might be the contacts in the head, I took it off and gave it a quick cleaning (just rubbed around with Kleenex). Too soon to see if this fixes the problem, but I'd like to hear how things turned out with you

Francis

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think you would need a higher mAh battery like in the range of 2000 or more to power the light to 130 lumen and keep it there. It makes no sense that hardly any of the readings match what they are saying about it. Dont think i hate this light, this is the most awesome light ever, and since its underpowering the led, the runtimes are even better..