Should I buy an M6?

BSBG

Enlightened
OK, I feel the need for a relaible, powerful handheld. I have read all the threads about the ROP and the Mag85, and I was tempted. But I figure if I need this thing for more than impressing my buds, I don't want to deal w/ instaflashing bulbs and pumping the switch to get it to turn on.

A Surefire M6 is expensive, but it seems that it always works...

I don't want to turn this into a big flame war, but anyone have any constructive thoughts?

Thanks.

ugrey

Enlightened
I live on a dead end street. Maybe once a month, I have night time unwanted "visitors" (broken beer bottles, empty beer cans, used condoms, used needles, noise, used diapers, party garbage left as an offering, and then once a year, maybe a stolen car or other property or a house prowler or worse) . A 3-5 second blast of 500 lumen M6 light is enough to "remind" them there is some where else they have got to be. A rechargeable light may or may not work after sitting up for 2 months. Rechargeable batteries self discharge over time. My first set of batteries lasted over 6 months. It is a bump in the night light for me, and every now and then, a toy. An M6 will make all the rest of your lights seem dim. You can get one off Ebay for about $325. If you have a real need for one, for a few seconds a year, your M6 will seem cheap.

Brozneo

Enlightened
I never seen or used a M6, but I have numerous Mag85's, Mag11's, ROPs etc and I have had no trouble with them at all, no blowing the bulb nothing... You dont have to treat them carefully, just be nice - just like you would with the expensive M6! Also these other lights are cheaper to construct... So IMO I would go with a Mag Mod instead of a M6.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why MR-16 mods aren't more popular around here but if you do up or buy over a 50w MR-16 modded mag (the original MR-16 magmod has to be the Ginseng Polaris), that would make a very nice handheld with a very long-lasting bulb and about 30 mins runtime spewing roughly 1000 lumens as compared to the M6s 500-800 lumens for 20 mins on expensive primary cells.

My 50w magmod :-
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1261322&postcount=1

Using a 3D mag host, powered by a modamag 3D to 12AA batt holder, Osram 50w MR-16 10º spotlight, draws about 4A current. Currently using 2100 mah cells so about 25-30 mins runtime. The latest 2700 mah cells should give me another 5-10 mins.

The bulb is rated for 2000 hrs or more and spews around 1000-1300 lumens (based on DIY litebox).

Of course it is larger than an M6, but I think being rechargeable with a long-lasting bulb makes it a pretty handy light. You can also have the versitility of changing it to other 12v 25-100w bulbs for differing brightness/runtimes, different beam angles and even use LED MR-16s!

I think it's a pretty handy high-powered light with decent runtimes next to my HID. I bought an M6 too, but am not using it in its original form. It's at Milky's waiting for a multi-LED mod. If you really must get the M6, try looking around for one of the rechargeable solutions out there by CPFers.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why MR-16 mods aren't more popular around here but if you do up or buy over a 50w MR-16 modded mag (the original MR-16 magmod has to be the Ginseng Polaris), that would make a very nice handheld with a very long-lasting bulb and about 30 mins runtime spewing roughly 1000 lumens as compared to the M6s 500-800 lumens for 20 mins on expensive primary cells.

My 50w magmod :-
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1261322&postcount=1

Using a 3D mag host, powered by a modamag 3D to 12AA batt holder, Osram 50w MR-16 10º spotlight, draws about 4A current. Currently using 2100 mah cells so about 25-30 mins runtime. The latest 2700 mah cells should give me another 5-10 mins.

The bulb is rated for 2000 hrs or more and spews around 1000-1300 lumens (based on DIY litebox).

Of course it is larger than an M6, but I think being rechargeable with a long-lasting bulb makes it a pretty handy light. You can also have the versitility of changing it to other 12v 25-100w bulbs for differing brightness/runtimes, different beam angles and even use LED MR-16s!

I think it's a pretty handy high-powered light with decent runtimes next to my HID. I bought an M6 too, but am not using it in its original form. It's at Milky's waiting for a multi-LED mod. If you really must get the M6, try looking around for one of the rechargeable solutions out there by CPFers.

+1 very good!
why buy an M6 when you can have this light.
M6 is perfect for tactical use and if you need it for tactical use you MUST buy it, but if you don't need an M6 for tactical use you shouldn't buy it becouse is too expensive and you can buy some other custom light more powerfoul than an M6

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 very good!
why buy an M6 when you can have this light.
M6 is perfect for tactical use and if you need it for tactical use you MUST buy it, but if you don't need an M6 for tactical use you shouldn't buy it becouse is too expensive and you can buy some other custom light more powerfoul than an M6

The M6 has the advantage of running on primary lithiums - therefore it can sit for a while whereas NiMh needs monthly care. Perfect for the occasional bump in the night.

If you purchase the M6 you should be aware that the M6 is not immune from instaflashes either... and if you drop the light there's always the chance the bulb will blow.

Some mag mods/HID/spotlights are actually quite good in terms of reliability. I would probably not rely on them in a life/death situation, but they have the cost advantage over the M6!

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
The M6 has the advantage of running on primary lithiums - therefore it can sit for a while whereas NiMh needs monthly care. Perfect for the occasional bump in the night.!

There are many pro's and con's to answering your question. It is a high quality, durable, reliable light with a smooth beam. On the one hand, running on primary lithium cells at $1.70 x 6 seems like a great advantage...but that only lasts for 20-30 minutes...so it can also be seen as a disadvantage.

If you want more throw, I don't think the M6 will be the best choice...because SF hates "lumpy beams" so they use reflector texturing to diffuse the beam.

I have a boatload of Maglite mods, and have only instaflashed two bulbs over 2 years, and one was my doing it intentionally to test a new setup.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M6 has the advantage of running on primary lithiums - therefore it can sit for a while whereas NiMh needs monthly care. Perfect for the occasional bump in the night.

If you purchase the M6 you should be aware that the M6 is not immune from instaflashes either... and if you drop the light there's always the chance the bulb will blow.

Some mag mods/HID/spotlights are actually quite good in terms of reliability. I would probably not rely on them in a life/death situation, but they have the cost advantage over the M6!

Another beauty of a 3D (12v bulb) Mag mod... it can run on 3 x Li-ons (roughly 12v) D-sized (these are quite rare though) or 3 x C-sized Li-ons in replacement of the 12AA setup! No battery holder to mess around with and has the same negligible discharge as primary lithiums. You'd have to get a li-on charger though.

With C Li-ons (3300 mah were they?), you'd get 40ish mins of runtime and if you can get the D's (5000 mah or so right?), over an hour of runtime and prob with a very nice discharge curve. The only worry of running it continuously is heat from the bulb, although a 50w is quite manageable to run for a relatively 'long' time. Some 75-100w bulbs can get hot within secs as you guys know :D

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would I buy an M6?

Answer : Yes definitely. It is one of the lights on my wish list. Although it cost about $300+ to buy this SF, it does provide product warranty which follows the product.
It is a fact that there are many mods to be had with much less $$ and with more lumens. Personally I would want a light that would be reliable at any time. If it is spoilt for any reason at least there is warranty backing it up. Buying a proven design from a manufacturer with a track record would justify the extra cost over a concept light which to me buying it is an investment.
P.S. If i have the dosh I even get the Beast!

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
I too have never had an issue with instaflash. If you keep track of your batteries' voltage with a multimeter, you should be fine.

I have read on this forum that potted bulbs seem to blow up more than bi pins. I can't say personally because I only handle bi-pins. They are cheaper bulbs.

Nihm batteries are a pain because of their self-discharge, but you can charge it under two hours. The protected C Li-ion batteries have great capacity but charging them is a pain because I haven't found a fast and reliable Li-ion charger. One cell can take about 8-9 hours with a 400mah charger. If there is a fast charger for these cells, please let me know! Primaries are good if you rarely use the light and this is where the M6 would be a good choice.

Another good thing about a Mag mod is that you can buy a new host if it ever gets damaged. It only cost around 20 bucks.

However, the design of the M6 is just fantastic. I would love to own one, but for MY money, I would always choose a Mag mod because its fun and relatively easy to customize it.

A 2D with Kiu socket, FM 6AA to 2D and WA1111 can produce around 700-800 lumens. Maybe a bit bigger than an M6.

Choice is yours.

BSBG

Enlightened
Thanks for all the comments.

It appears that the correct answer should be "get both" for the low running cost of the modded mag and the "there when you need it" reliability of the M6.

To build a C cell Li based Mag, I keep adding it up to close to $200 including charger. NiMH or 18650s would be chaper, but more of a project. One of FM's FM85's, with batteries, is over $300 but offers in light charging and it looks like a lightsaber :eek:oo:

More to ponder - keep the input coming.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the idea of feeding an M6 on primaries (cost, and diminishing output when used), nor have the rechargeable solutions been very appealing to me. I'll buy an M6 when SF makes a factory rechargeable flavor, which will probably be never.

Everyone has an opinion or three, but my favorite in this class is a stock Magcharger with WA 1160 bulb. Its a 30 second mod, and puts out as much light, (to my eyeballs anyway), as a Mag85 without the hassle of having to assemble one. Costs less, and comes with a factory charger.

Doesn't have the form of an M6, thats for sure, but its a ton of light for less than 1/3 the price, especially when you factor in the cost of primaries or a rechargeable option for the M6. JMO.

cheers

adamr999

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget the M6-CB is also designed to be used as a weapon. If you hold an M6 you will fall in love with it, I did.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one. I liked it, but for me it was economics. I sold it to purchase a couple of 35W HID's. Not as compact, but brighter, and rechargeable.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two M6s, and absolutely love them. For me, it's about peace of mind, but also about being "technologically challenged" (not able to make/repair mods). The reliability factor, warranty repairs, availability of spare parts/accessories/upgrades, and customer service are crucial issues to consider.

Buying the M6 a number of years ago sure hurt the pocketbook, but to this day, it is one flashlight that holds its value (to me) and performs, performs, performs. I have spent much more than the cost of one M6 on a bunch of outdated, under-performing lights like the Trek 19, TACM III, etc. that have long been relegated to the bottom of a drawer.

Should you buy an M6? I say YES!

Per Arne

Enlightened
Depending on your hands... I got the M6 and I think it is little bit too thick for my hands. I would have liked a clicky switch instead of the twist/push button... But then again, it takes lesser space in my backpack then the M4 which feels little bit too long and front heavy...

And after reading here on CPF that by useing the MN15 lamp in it, you have around 200 lumen for almost 2.5 hours... it has become a winner!!!

At the moment, the M6 is the light thats goes into my backpack anytime, with spare MN21, MN15 and batteries.

PA

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
I forgot that there is a Wolf Eyes M300 Lion that will come out eventually...

You can check it out here.

However, this thing is being pushed back every month so if you have the patience for this rechargeable alternative, I think it'll be worth it.

EV_007

Enlightened
An M6 should be a part of every Surefire collection. Buy it as a compliment to your existing light(s) but not as your only light.

I use mime occasionally with the HOLA and still am on my first set of batteries. I use my "other" lights for primary illumination.

The output of the HOLA cannot be denied. The MN15 option makes it a viable cost effective solution for more than occassional use.