Protected 16340s for M6 MB20

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Say I wanted to pick up an HO-M6R and run it with the stock battery carrier. From what I understand in the past, it has been difficult to find protected cells that fit. Does anyone know of any good modern cell that can? Normally, I don't care for protected cells. I just don't feel they are needed. But in this case, I think I will make an exception. I would prefer prefer a 3×16650 holder, but none of those are commercially available anymore and I would have to wait until One shows up on the marketplace

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 3 x 17670 holder in on of my M6's that puts out 12+V. I run an MN60 with it. I blew an MN61 trying out the same configuration. Sorry I don't know who made it though. When the 17670's are done, I'll probably get some 16650's to replace them since that's all you can find anymore. The output is not super impressive, but it's free lumens. The MN61 flashed out right away. Not gonna waste another one for that.

Last edited:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Nitecores are 950mah and protected. They are pretty small and may fit...

Nitecore2.jpg

Nitecore.jpg

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
2A max discharge protected cells is not a good spec for running a high powered lamp. I highly recommend IMR cells instead.

Nightcore is not a favored brand of mine anyways.

And if you use rechargeables in the standard M6 battery carrier you're gonna be pushing 12V, not 9V.

So that means a 12V lamp. Not an MN20 or MN21.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
2A max discharge protected cells is not a good spec for running a high powered lamp. I highly recommend IMR cells instead.

Nightcore is not a favored brand of mine anyways.

And if you use rechargeables in the standard M6 battery carrier you're gonna be pushing 12V, not 9V.

So that means a 12V lamp. Not an MN20 or MN21.
The HO-M6R draws 2A. The stacks are in parallel so that's 1A each. And it's a 10.8v lamp, designed specifically for the mb20 being loaded with protected 16340s. Not to say imr cells wouldn't also work. I'm more looking at protected so I can charge them as a group for a few times between dismantling it all. And the series/parallel nature I'd prefer some protection. No BMS obviously but it helps

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just don't like to put things on the edge like that. I wasn't aware the HO-M6R was a higher voltage lamp than the standard M6. I hadn't really looked into them because I usually have a decent supply of M6 SF lamps. Though I did burn out an MN21 and MN61 through my own stupidity recently.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just don't like to put things on the edge like that. I wasn't aware the HO-M6R was a higher voltage lamp than the standard M6. I hadn't really looked into them because I usually have a decent supply of M6 SF lamps.
Ah. Ya I don't have one. But it's supposed to be about the best lamp available, period, for the M6. The problem is the cells and me being in Canada. All my lithium ions are either tool pack pulls (18650s), or the few 21700s I get when I get them with lights from China. 16340s aren't used by vapers, so they're nigh impossible to obtain.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel sorry for you having to live in Canada. Living in North Dakota is already bad enough!!! Hahaha :/

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
😊 I'm just south of Toronto on Lake Erie. About the same latitude as Detroit. So your entire state is more north than me. Actually, I'm in about the same latitude as a southern border of South Dakota.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything everyone says always tells me I need to get out of here... hehe

Best friend from high school told me a few weeks ago... "sell everything you have and get the hell out of there, it's what all our classmates did."

The ones that stayed behind are all dead or in prison. I'm the last survivor.

Sorry this thread took a weird turn lol.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've kind of done away from looking for protective cells. I know that it generally is not recommended of buying your cell from places like AliExpress, but I'm not left with much of a choice if I don't want to pay 40+ dollars for shipping. I can get eight soshine 16340s, 700mah, for about $8. They're on sale. I've had good luck with their LFP 16340s. They've performed and held up well and I've documented it in this forum. The 700mah cells also did well in hjk's test. But that was 7 years ago. So has anyone had any recent experience with these? For the price I'm probably gonna bite the bullet anyway. A single vapcell cell is the same price.
IMG_0083.png

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get IMR's and just monitor them well with a multimeter. It's always worked for me. It's the best advice I can give you. Protected cells are kinda bullshit. I have protected cells, but I know what they are. The only protected cells I value are AW's, and he's been out of the game for awhile.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get IMR's and just monitor them well with a multimeter. It's always worked for me. It's the best advice I can give you. Protected cells are kinda bullshit. I have protected cells, but I know what they are. The only protected cells I value are AW's, and he's been out of the game for awhile.
Ya I feel the same about protected cells

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protected cells are kinda bullshit.
AFAIK, practically every lithium ion cell sold by any U.S. flashlight manufacturer worthy of note is a protected cell. Malkoff, Maglite, Surefire, Streamlight, ASP.......who am I forgetting? Same is true for many of the more respected foreign brands with significant U.S. market presence (Fenix, Nitecore, Eagtac, Olight, Acebeam, Thrunite, ....?).

I use protected cells almost exclusively when possible. I think I'm in pretty good company.

ebuchner

Newly Enlightened
The new Nitecores are 950mah and protected. They are pretty small and may fit...
If someone does give these a try and they fit the MB20, that'd be a real thrill. Currently I'm using IMR 550 mAh cells in mine and roughly doubling the capacity would be a huge step up. vicv and I were actually talking about this earlier when we got a little off-topic on a different thread.