BIG flashlight story

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well a searchlight story actually.

Yesterday I saw the NG flashlight show, and here it is, the AN/VVS-1 searchlight. You guys must had a fun time in your gettogether....

But here is a better story to go with it.

Summer of 93 and I am serving with a Greek armored unit. We had just gotten M-60 tanks and all 43 of them had the AN/VVS-1 searchlight.
Talking about some serious staff.

So we spent all summer relocating the unit at a new camp at the foot of the mountain, about a mile away from the village. So.. when the first batch of the tanks arrived late in the afternoon by tractors, they were dismounted right in the village entry and had to move their own a**es the road to the camp.

The villagers were very warm and welcoming and they had the show off a a lifetime, until...

when the tanks were parked we had some fire the searchlights and make a wonderful show....Imagine several million candlepower beams shining on the mountain from flood to beam, and then moving like lightsabers on the area downhill right into the village streets!

Actually something undiscribable....

enjoy, kostas

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool story, kosPap! I wish I could have seen it. Just for the record, it was an AN/VSS-3A (mine :D ) at the NG filming.

Larry

yep I saw your light is some pics at the get-together forum too...

Sorry for the mispel. I did not remeber the type and a google search gave me this type from a M48. I mistakenly assumed it would be the same.

Now seeing the show is one thing, putting a show on your own is another!:thumbsup:

BTW what is your electrical bill?:eek:oo:

enjoy, kostas