ML-1 (Floodmaster Edition) by Milkyspit

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good day all :wave:

This would be my second review, so crticism, hints, help, etc are welcome.

What I have here Is the almighty, IMHO perfect EDC ML-1. This ML-1 Is slightly different than the original ML-1 since It uses a cut down Khatod 20mm Reflector which Is optimized for flood and produces a clean smooth floody beam with a hint of a small hotspot (Really Great If you ask me).

This Is my 3rd ML-1, First I started off with a ML-1 with a Lux III, after that I moved on to the Seoul version (Both with McR18's). After a couple of weeks with no EDC, I talked to Milkyspit and asked him what I wanted. I told him I wanted a ML-1, but with a Floodier beam for Indoor and walking on trails purposes. My ML-1 Came today, and actually I'm amazed of how much I really like this light and its beam. Really pratical IMHO and covers 98% of my uses.

The ML-1's Body and Ergonomics

The Host (Old Style Surefire L1) Is a perfect host for a great EDC. It's nice, small, compact, and It looks really great. The 4 sided square body Is also very intriguing and feels good In the hand. The 2 stage switch works flawlessly and Is buttery smooth. Surefire really did a good job designing this one, and Milkyspit put the finishing touches on It. :)

pop007lq3.jpg

pop008zl4.jpg

Beam Pattern and Output

As stated above, this light Is all about Flood. It does a great job producing a beautifull white beam (Seoul P4 USVOI) with a great floody beam. It has a hardly noticable hotspot which can be used to spot things at a more farther distance, but still not a thrower. The Sidespill Is very bright, and stays bright until there Is no more. The Reflector Is the KHATOD 20mm Heavy strippled reflector, which looks like Its made out of ice. This Is my first KHATOD reflector and I must say, I really like It.

The Output of this light Is perfect for a EDC, Its around 90 something lumens I presume, the warmness of the Seoul makes It look a tiny bit brighter than the Cooler USWOH. The LED that was used was a Seoul USVOI since I prefer warmer tints (Outdoor). Very bright light :cool:

pop001ql6.jpg

ML-1 On low, Approx 8-11in from the door

pop004ge9.jpg

Same as above, But on HIGH

pop005xp5.jpg

On High

pop006qs2.jpg

ML-1 On Low

pop003fb7.jpg

ML-1 On HIGH

pop004en4.jpg

Runtime

Runtime should be around 90-100min Of pretty flat regulated ouput.
It stays relatively cool, and feels pretty comfortable In the hand.

Milkyspit

Milkyspit (Scott) does a wonderful job In his mods, his work Is Grade "A".
He also has great customer service, If anything ever goes wrong with yours Mods He'll gladly fix It (Rarely Happens). This Is my 10+ mod and haven't had nothing but good things.

Overall Feeling about the ML-1

I think the ML-1 (Floodmaster Edition) Has to be one of the (Or the Best) best EDC I've ever had. Truly wonderful and In a class of Its own.
I would rather have the Floodmaster edition for me, Since It represents me better and I like floodier lights now.

Thanks Scott

Outdoor beamshots to come!
stay tuned

thanks for reading all

Last edited:

Groundhog66

Banned
Hey Skal, how much are you going to sell it for?? :crackup:

On a serious note, great review....I have one on order myself. :twothumbs

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review, Skalo! You did a great job. :thumbsup:

That reflector photo in post #1 is A-W-E-S-O-M-E! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Gary123

Enlightened
Skalomax - Could you tell us the current price of this light?

I too prefer floodier lights. Hotspots are good for throwing and have their use, but most of the time I am just trying to find my way. And a bright hotspot is very obtrusive. One of my favorite stock lights is the Nuwai 301X-5 (5 watt), although the beam is not terribly wide it provides the most uniform illumination of any stock light I have seen.

SCblur

Enlightened
great review skalo, thanks. Once again, you've motivated me to send more money to Scott. I wish you'd stop buying milky mods, you're making me go broke!

who

Newly Enlightened
Hi Skalo,

I also like floody lights. I have a few L4's and L2's, with one more L2 coming from you. :twothumbs

How would you compare the L2/L4 spill to this light? I might have to get one of these masterpieces too.

Thank you.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Skalo,

I also like floody lights. I have a few L4's and L2's, with one more L2 coming from you. :twothumbs

How would you compare the L2/L4 spill to this light? I might have to get one of these masterpieces too.

Thank you.

This Is either as bright or a little less or a little more than a Surefire L2/L4.

It's basiaclly a Ram of light, wherever you shine It, It's going to light up everything.
I don't think It has quite as much throw as the L4/L2 but about the same output.

It's a great light, highly recommended

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 +2 +3 I've said it before and i'll say it again, one of the best out there!
Mine has a McR18j reflector which works really well too. Good job Scott!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks so much for the kind words, guys. :eek:

Built myself a second old-style Milky L1 the other day, too... but didn't have another Floodmaster reflector so mine uses a smooth version. Very happy with the results!

BTW, think I've located a handful more L1 old-style hosts... so the good news is that I can make some more Milky L1 for people, first come, first served... the bad news is that once this batch are gone, I'm not so sure I'll find any more of these hosts. After all, SureFire stopped making the old-style L1 in 2004! Supplies are getting pretty thin out there. :whistle:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
how many hosts are you down to at this point?

Two part answer...

RIGHT NOW, no old-style hosts... all have been spoken for.

INBOUND, 10 old-style hosts... all are available at time of this writing, first come, first served.

PM me if interested!