• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ti PD-S Goes To Half Dome

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, my friends,

Well, this post is a month overdue, but here it finally is. I brought my Ti PD-S to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park one fine Tuesday in May, and I thought I'd share it with you. We hiked about 90% of our route up in the dark, so the lights you see in the pics literally helped make this accomplishment possible. Total trail miles: 22 (you can do it in as few as 17 miles, depending on the route you choose). Total elevation change up and down: 10,800 vertical feet.

hd_mcgizmo_1.jpg

The first picture is the view from Yosemite Valley, where you leave your car. To get to the top, you walk in a very large fishhook and approach Half Dome from exactly the opposite side you see above.

hd_mcgizmo_1a.jpg

The view of Half Dome from almost exactly the opposite side. I took this one on the way back down, (it was dark on the way up) but I post it here for the purpose of a clearer narrative. In front of Half Dome (or behind it if you are down in the Valley with the cars) is Quarter Dome. You must first climb up Quarter Dome to get to Half Dome. At this point on the way up, we had gone about 10 miles and up about 4000 feet.

hd_mcgizmo_2.jpg

This is my foot on the switchbacking steps hewn into the solid granite of Quarter Dome. There are no handrails, and lots of gravel to keep you on your toes. If you slip off, you die, no ifs ands or buts about it. This was the scariest part for me, mostly because of the gravel and the total absence of anything to hold onto.

hd_mcgizmo_2a.jpg

Clouds' Rest at sunrise, from the top of Quarter Dome (looking away from Half Dome and Yosemite Valley).

hd_mcgizmo_2b.jpg

Half Dome from the top of Quarter Dome. You get your first glimpse of the cables you use to climb up to the top from here, which can be seen as a lighter streak going down the side of Half Dome, about halfway across. Most people have been asking themselves what the hell they have gotten themselves into for a while at this point! If you are familiar with Ansel Adams' famous photo of the face of Half Dome, it was taken from that shelf off to the right that you see jutting out. If you think about what camera equipment weighed back then, you realize he must have had a pretty major load to contend with getting it there!

hd_mcgizmo_3.jpg

This is the view from the cables, just after sunrise. At the steepest point, the cables approach 60 degrees. At the base of the cables, you see the top of Quarter Dome, and further down, there is a patch of trees, which is where pic #2 was taken. That big peak straight across the way there is called Clouds' Rest, and I am hoping to bring Ti McGizmos to the top of it in September. In this photo, you are looking at the largest granite face in all of Yosemite, over 4000 feet of sheer granite from the top of Clouds' Rest to Tenaya Creek way down below.

These cables are the tourist trail! Real climbers go up the face. Tourist trail is pretty generous though. A person fell off these cables, and fell 300 feet to their death, just a couple weeks ago, which is a surprisingly rare occurrence given how many people make the attempt. A helicopter was required to retrieve his body. The granite between the cables is well worn from tens of thousands of people going up and down the same narrow strip for over 80 years, and I could easily see how someone could slip if they weren't careful and/or didn't have the upper body strength necessary to hold themselves up with arms alone. Reportedly, in this recent tragedy, he was carrying a heavy backpack. We left one of the backpacks with most of the heaviest stuff down on the top of Quarter Dome and only took food, water, camera gear and flashlights to the top. It was bad enough doing those cables with a 20 pound backpack on. I can't even imagine how someone could have attempted it with a full 40-80 pound pack. On the other hand, this is the single most popular trail in the United States. Over a thousand people will attemp the cables on an average summer day. The cables have been ascended by 8 year olds and 80 year olds. Personally, I don't know any 8 year olds or 80 year olds I'd be willing to let try, but they are reportedly out there. Incidentally, the leading cause of death on Half Dome is being struck by lightning. There are signs posted warning that lightning has struck Half Dome in every month of the year, and to get to lower ground FAST if there are dark clouds ANYWHERE on the horizon.

I was the first person to summit Half Dome that morning. A few hours later there were probably a hundred people up there, but for a few brief moments, I had it conquered all alone, which was a pretty amazing feeling. The original goal was to get all the way to the top in the dark and see sunrise from the summit, but it got too intense to finish in the dark, so we waited out sunrise from just below the top of Quarter Dome and then went up as soon as the sky got light. I still want to go up in darkness and actually see the sunrise from the top, and plan to do it in the future. I definitely think it will be easier and less scary the second time. If there is time, I am considering making that attempt in September, the morning after summiting Clouds' Rest. 2 summit sunrises 2 days in a row would be pretty spectacular, I think.

hd_mcgizmo_4.jpg

I don't know who this guy is, but now he's famous. He's standing in the exact spot the red arrow is pointing at in the first picture. Below him and a little to his left, you can see a world class waterfall -- looking kind of puny from way up here!! That's Yosemite Valley spread out below -- where the first picture was taken from. That big monolith in the center is world famous El Capitan.

hd_mcgizmo_5.jpg

The view straight down the face of Half Dome to Tenaya Creek below. :green:

hd_mcgizmo_6.jpg

You were probably wondering when the money shot was coming. I really love how the colors in the Ti refract where the sun hits inside the bezel. You can see hundreds of miles and dozens of peaks in the Sierra Nevada from the top of Half Dome.

hd_mcgizmo_7.jpg

Ti PD-S looking out at Clouds' Rest.

hd_mcgizmo_8.jpg

Family photo: clockwise from top: SF M4, HDS U60XRGT, Atwood Wharncliffe Booger, PT Apex Pro (NOT good enough, hint hint :sssh:), Atwood Ti Keyton, Ti PD-S.

Anyway, thank you for reading this far. I hope it was interesting, and I hope it wasn't too long!! And thank you for the PD-S -- it was pretty much the only light I used -- or needed.

These lights might be fun toys to play with when a life isn't on the line -- and I frequently do -- but they really help enable me to accomplish things and get to places I wouldn't otherwise be able to succeed at in a safe manner. To me, they are worth their weight in gold for that. I picture people going up or down those steps in the dark with a Maglite and shudder, but I'm sure thousands have. Not for me -- no thank you! At least if *I* plunge to my death, I'll be able to see where I'm going!

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
WoW!
Nice pictures, Souptree. Looks like a great adventure.

That gravel would worry me.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool Souptree! Although now lost, as a kid (late 50's) I got a mounted photo of the fire fall from Half Dome on a redwood section. I vaguely recall watching the firefall and it was off Half Dome, right? I think it was stopped many years ago?!? :thinking: :shrug:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Half Dome and El Capitan and the water fall are awesome when viewed from the valley - I can't imagine how spectacular the view from Half Dome was. As great as the photos are, I kind of doubt they really do the view justice! :nana:

Did you go up to Sonora pass? If not, try taking it to drive over to Lake Tahoe sometime. It's a truly great drive. Get someone else to drive, though, so that you can look at the scenery. Trust me on this - you can't do both without great risk!

:thumbsup:

Cypher

Enlightened
I've been to Yosemite on a couple day trips and hiked to Vernal falls but that never satisfied my thirst for adventure and love of the outdoors when Half Dome was there looking down at me.

I almost feel like I've been there now with your great pictures except that now I want to hike it myself more than ever. My previous trips were before my flashaholism so now it has an added allure.

Very cool!

Incidentally, I always thought the firefall was done from Glacier Point but I could very well be wrong. If it was done off of Half dome then that would have been something to see.

BigBoy

Enlightened
souptree,

Enjoyed your post a lot ... I think you've stumbled on to something - a new forum on flashlight travels. I've been on that trail several times - and would like to return again sometime - but I am currently in Alabama which means it will be awhile. My uncle went up that trail in his 70's and to top it off he had cataracts at the time. I am sure he didn't see much of the view, but he sure enjoyed hiking.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Travelling Light - great idea.

The photos are excellent and confirms futher that I am the weakest link in the Gizmo-human chain.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you everyone for your very kind words! I am glad my efforts were enjoyed.

I will say this -- if you have that voice in your head telling you that there's something like this you want to do before you die, start working on it now. You don't need to be able to drop everything and head into the wilderness, and you definitely do not need to currently be in shape or physically able to do it, but start learning how to lighten your load, start training, etc. You can do research type things like selecting the right gear and deciding on your water purification system from a computer while eating Oreos. If you are from a more genteel era and haven't been out in a few years, do yourself a massive favor and check out how much technology has revolutionized gear. Pretty much everything you wear or carry has evolved just as much as your flashlights have. Save your pennies. Haha, funny place to say THAT!

This sort of thing isn't for everyone. But if it is for you, and it's a little beyond your ability, find the steepest hill in your town, put a couple dumbells in a backpack, and start walking up and down that hill, several times a week. You will amaze yourself with how quickly you will progress towards being able to push yourself that extra bit farther. Six months, or a year, or 18 months from now, you could do this if you decide you want to. Patience and determination combine for a lot. If the chosen mission is a little too much for the current you, just set it a little farther out on the calendar and start working towards it now. Progress cometh.

You know, as time passes, things shift in how important they seem. Something that was the most important thing in the world at the time can seem somewhat trivial in retrospect. But I know I will feel proud when I am no longer able to do these things and look backwards. This is one thing I know won't ever diminish for me. It really gave me a sense of accomplishment that is pretty hard to find, and I can tell it's not going away, ever. Life has a way of getting in the way of good intentions, but a dream fulfilled can never be taken away from you.

And, the more I do this sort of thing, the more I find it's a lot more mental than physical. But the physical gets noticeably easier every time out. These are thoughts that keep me going when it starts feeling like too much. I am starting to ramble. This is where Don usually leaves off, so I will follow his lead. :nana:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Souptree,
Great rambles there and good food for thought. It is really cool that you have shared the experience here with us. :thumbsup: If I were still in the bay area, you would have sold me on a visit to Yosemite! As it is, I recognize a lost opportunity. :oops:

(I googled Yosemite Fire Fall and discovered it wasn't off Half Dome but Glacier Falls. Even my long term memory sucks. :eek:)

orionlion82

Enlightened
IEEEEEE those pictures can get some significant pucker going on if you do anything mre than glance at them. great though! just stunning images!

(I googled Yosemite Fire Fall and discovered it wasn't off Half Dome but Glacier Falls. Even my long term memory sucks. :eek:)
yeah, but thats the 60's and 70's for ya.
us 80's kids were all stuffed with fistfulls of speed every chance our parents got (ritalin) and its the same for us... oh well...

drew2001

Newly Enlightened
What a wonderful trip review, Thanks souptree... fantastic journey.

Your pics re-inspire me! I will make that hike too, just need to get organized and do it! I love the high country up there. last hike was lake tenaya to sunrise lakes, behind Clouds Rest. We were kinda planning on going to Clouds Rest but reality struk and it got to be too late in the day, so turned around midpoint.

Thanks for really good writing and pictures, just make the hobby more striking seeing the places, and tools used for lifelong memories.

-drew