Thanks to all those who helped 50+ Watt Mag 6 D with pics.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I have a 6 D Maglite I would like to run two mag charger battery packs in it, I'm sure that they are the same length as 3 D batteries. Who sells the highest capacity Nimh packs? What would my bulb options be using a KIU bi pin socket if I can find one? Is there a better battery option for around 12 Volts in a 6 D?
I would like to get this running around 50 Watts.
Norm
PS looking for a Mag D Kiu hi temp socket if you have one spare.

Last edited:

Tarlach

Newly Enlightened
What to do with a mag 6D?

Ok I'm new, back to the CPF after a long leave of absence.

I have a stock 6D mag light that I'm sick of. It eats D cells and never seems to be very bright when I need it :thumbsdow

I'm having a lot of trouble finding info about the longer mags (plenty of info for 2/3 cells) :sigh:
Can anyone give me any advice on what the best mod for a 6D is?

I'm not just after throw and I would ideally like a medium spot with some good spill that will run for 1-2 hours (I can live with less runtime on rechargeables).

I almost bought the Terralux TLE 6EX, but it doesn't sound great for the 6D. I have also heard mention of an Osram 64430, 6v 35w 2000hr 650L that may be good?? or a Westinghouse 6v? Running on 8C NIMH...

Any suggestions on the best way to focus my efforts? I know a tiny bit about electronics(I can solder, etc), but I can't machine anything. Also I live in Australia and parts may be harder to source. Any advice would be very greatfully received :twothumbs

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: Batteries and lamp options for Mag 6 D?

Bedtime bump :duh2:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: What to do with a mag 6D?

I'm pretty much after the same info Tarlach, my thread is here (Moderator note: removed link and merged threads - thanks Norm!)

Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

jwl

Enlightened

You could go with something like Maglite 6D with WWOT Lux-V if you want LED or go the incandescent route and there are things like the Pelican #3854 (ROP bulbs), Westinghouse 35W, Philips 5761 and others (although some require a regulator). I am running mine on rechargeables with the Pelican bulbs right now. When LEDs get powerful enough I will likely change it over.

JamisonM

Enlightened

While incandescent route would be brighter, battery life would be relatively short. If you want the brightest possible light though; it's the route to go hands down. Now, if you want a bright light with long runtime compared with the above; the single LED route is the way to go. The mod I'm thinking about is just a simple single SSC mounted on the top of a heatsink powered by a driver. Powered by 6D cells, I'm willing to bet you'll get around 10 hours of good, bright light.All in all, it's going to be in the $50 range for everything. You'll also need other things like wire, a soldering gun, flux depending on what kind of solder you use, solder, thermal paste, and other tools and bits. The main parts for this project are going to be a heatsink, emitter and driver to power the emitter. H22A sells the DHS heatsinks with a minimum order of $18 for two (shipping is included). Litemania also sells heatsinks for D cell maglites $17 (after shipping) with out a minimum order. Emitters can be purchased on most large electronic supplies and from fellow CPF members. Just look around for them and know what you're looking for. Don't be afraid to ask the sellers about their product. The driver that I'd buy is the nFlex from taskled. Besides being able to drive the SSC emitter at 1 amp, you'll also have multiple output levels with it. Not only that, but taskled as an australian distrobutor.

Norm

Retired Administrator

I don't see much point going the LED route when you can achieve the same thing using a 2 C, for me I want to build something incandescent and extremely bright to make use of all that battery space, at least 50watts of incandescent.
Norm

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast

10 1/2 D in a M@g 6D with Osram 100W 62138, 64625, 64623.

50W 64610 as the LO bulb. Longer run time and this bulb has that super white white color.

Jim

Norm

Retired Administrator

10 1/2 D in a M@g 6D with Osram 100W 62138, 64625, 64623.

50W 64610 as the LO bulb. Longer run time and this bulb has that super white white color.

Jim
Can the ten half D's be two mag charger packs?
Just seems like the easiest way to source them.
Norm

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast

Norm,

Don't know I haven't built one of these myself. But did pick up a mag charger at yard sale today, no battery or charger, inside looks ruff. measures 5in to start of captheads. Don't have a 6D to measure.

Probable wouldn't. Mag charger is 7.2vx2=14.4v.

Are the charger paks 1/2 D? If so, could bust them up and use what's needed.

Jim

Can the ten half D's be two mag charger packs?
Just seems like the easiest way to source them.
Norm

Norm

Retired Administrator

Probable wouldn't. Mag charger is 7.2vx2=14.4v.
Jim all the mag charger packs I've seen have 5 cells X 1.2 is 6 Volts.
I have ordered 3 X 50W 64610 as per your recommendation and hoped to use 2 X Mag packs with them, I have the reflector lens and the Kiu socket is on the way. Or could some one point me to a battery retailer on the web that has NiMh half D's
Norm

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic

I'm thinking of six of those 3-die Rebel arrays, each with its own reflector and regulator, all run from the pair of Magcharger packs or comparable. Let's see, 18 dice at 700 ma each (3.3v Vf) = 41.5 watts, sounds just fine. Each array is supposed to put out 480 lumens at that current, so you're squarely competing with 35 watt HID lanterns in total output though with a much floodier beam. You'd need some pretty serious thermal management of course.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast

what about 12 elite 1500 in a mag 6D with a 50 or 100W osram bulb?
question: can you run the mac's torch bulb with this batts. set up with KIU socket and FM's throwmaster?
I think that this mag will be very bright and with a really good throw...
:candle:

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast

http://www.batterieswholesale.com/nimh.htm

There's one. Hope someone will list there sources of 1/2 D.

In groupbuy passaround there's a thread on 1/2 D.

I haven't use charger packs so good to know it's 6v.

Ebay dealer seller where I got 64610 for about $2 bulb. Great deal.

Jim

Jim all the mag charger packs I've seen have 5 cells X 1.2 is 6 Volts.
I have ordered 3 X 50W 64610 as per your recommendation and hoped to use 2 X Mag packs with them, I have the reflector lens and the Kiu socket is on the way. Or could some one point me to a battery retailer on the web that has NiMh half D's
Norm

Norm

Retired Administrator

Looks like I've got it all sorted, I have a fivemega MOP reflector borofloat lens KIU socket on it's way, 64610 bulbs ordered and now LuxLuthor is making me a 10 cell battery pack. Can't wait to put it all together.
Thanks for everyones help. :)
Norm

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

The only problem is that link from batterieswholesale appears to still be offline. None of their links/prices are back up, their contact information is missing, and worst of all the aerobatt.com maker of those cells website domain is for sale.

The only other possibility I found for Norm is to contact powerstream who I have used before, and hopefully can talk them into a smaller quantity than the '100 units' column pricing here.

http://www.powerstream.com/NiB.htm

Norm

Retired Administrator

Thanks Lux, maybe time for a group buy.
Norm

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Norm, I talked to one of the salesmen at Powerstream (Kim), and they do not have any of the 1/2D cells in stock, and a minimum order of $200 must be placed. Their listed price each for 100 unit quantity is $3.95, and he said he would be willing sell me 50 of them ($200) and keep the other 50 on their shelf...and give me that price.

Normally their "sample" smaller than 100 units price is 2.5 x the 100 unit price, but I have dealt with them before. He did not think there was any other source for this size in NiMH.

When they place a minimum order of 100, they are made fresh by their Asian factory under their strict engineering guidelines and supervision. These cells would be 3800mAh size, and it takes 3-4 weeks for their production and arrival. He guarantees the quality of these cells.

So maybe it is wise to do a group buy and see if there are 5 others that want 10 cells. Let me know.